• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Thorens TD145 MkII Project

what beautiful professional job.....i can't say enough good things about it besides ..i want one....did you keep all the measurements written down. maybe you might consider a kit the pieces precut (except the veneer). seems there a few of us 145 mkII owners following this.


Thanks guys! The only really important dimension is the inside measurements on the original plinth, other than that it is wide open to interpretation, I do have the measurements of mine written down if anyone wants them, just drop me a PM.
 
one word ..............WOW ! great thread and thanks for the awesome pics , really appreaciate it .
John
 
Very nice indeed! I'll do some of these mods to my TD-165 once I get it out of its box (I'm packing up to move right now).
 
Wow, great thread! I learned a lot from this one. Thanks! That plinth looks great. :banana::ntwrthy:
 
Mel,

Your project looks gorgeous, and this has been a great thread to read. I just read the entire thread pretty much in one sitting today, and it's been great to see the project develop to the finished product. You did a beautiful job.

Thanks for replying to my PM so quickly.

Cheers,
-PC
 
Cap Replacement

looks like the capacitor is replaced, too. do you think that might've been the problem of hum, too?

i have 125 that needs adjustments and this thread's been encouraging...since i'm so lazy to do anything but just listen to the music.:D

Hey Mel & GoGoFast, my apologies for the late reply.... The source of the hum was mainly due to a loose ground wire. As for replacing the cap, the original was 30 years old and I had a replacement on hand. It was one of those "while I'm in here" preventive maintenance measures.

I listened to the table after Mel fabricated the first bottom board; as already discussed, that was a significant improvement. I haven't heard it since the new sand-filled base, but I did stop by to see it when he was spraying the final coats. The pictures look awesome, but the final product is STUNNING!
 
Good job, Divotdog. There is still a lot more to gain with mods to this table. I have a Thorens TD160 I've modded to the max, performance pretty near my VPI Scoutmaster with 10.5i arm.

Mods include Sound Support aluminum mounting plate for Rega arm, Rega RB250, Incognito wiring, Pete Riggle end stub mod and counterweight, Dynamat Extreme and Audio Additives 3M damping mods, 3" solid cherry plinth, BDR #4 threaded cones for feet, Mundorf Silver/Gold internal wiring, Furutech IEC receptacle (power cords of choice), Herbies Mat, SRM/Tech main bearing spindle support pad made of high purity PTTE, SRM/Tech black oil lubricant.

The Thorens sits on a DIY 1/2" Birch plywood sandbox (5" H, 75lb sand capacity), this has been modified with an 1/2" aluminum top plate with vibration sinks. Entire tt and sandbox sit on 2" solid maple on DIY wall shelf.

I'm presently using a Denon 103R and modded Cayin Phono-One phono stage with this setup, really amazing what this table can do!

I have pictures of my Thorens and setup over at Audiogon under member name Sns or system (Renamed: Adventures in Modding). Unfortunately, I can't find my pictures of the modding process, will have to look more.
 
Better late than never. Mel I spent the night listening to Jazz on my TD160S and reading your thread. Nice work on the Thorens and an excellent tutorial, thanks for shearing with us.
 
divotdog,

Thank you so much for the easy to follow tutorial. Adjusted the springs on my newly acquired TD160 super and replaced the AT20SS stylus . Wow couldn't wait till the stylus is fully broken in.
 
Back
Top Bottom