• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD165 vs Linn LP12

I am in almost exactly the same boat. I have about $400 into a Thorens TD-165 with the original arm, and I used a AT VM540ML on it for a while. Over the past 2 years since I got the Thorens and got it working properly, I have had the opportunity to buy several high quality competitors including a Linn LP-12. In the end, each time I have doubled down on the Thorens. I put Blue Jean cables on it as captive and found they were a good upgrade from the original cables (which were in admittedly POOR condition). I also damped a few parts of the plinth, polished the spindle bearing nicely with a little home-brew technique, got a new belt, and eventually spent the dough to put a Denon DL-103 on it and employ a quality step-up. THAT was well worth it.

As long as your 165 has the original arm, I would say save your money and get a DL-103 and a nice step-up/headamp and see how you like that. You may be very pleasantly surprised, and in the worst case, you'll have some easily re-sellable equipment (the cartridge and step-up) vs having to deal with the possibility (probability) of taking a loss because full turntables are difficult and potentially dangerous to ship when sold on the used market.
Hi - am looking into the DL-103 and and am curious about what step up transformer you are happy with. Thanks -
 
Hi - am looking into the DL-103 and and am curious about what step up transformer you are happy with.

You can never go wrong with a Denon AU-320 SUT (step up transformer). Really good specs and they have switchable ratio's so can run a number of carts out there as well as a bypass for using MM carts. Great bang for the buck on the used market.

BillWojo
 
You can never go wrong with a Denon AU-320 SUT (step up transformer). Really good specs and they have switchable ratio's so can run a number of carts out there as well as a bypass for using MM carts. Great bang for the buck on the used market.

BillWojo
Thanks for the info! A question I just thought of; how is the output stepped up if not is no power supplied to the unit? (Windings in the unit?)
 
Last edited:
Transformers don't need a power source since the current in one set of windings in the transformer induces current in the other. The ratio of windings determines the amount of stepping up or stepping down of voltage. Or, in an isolation transformer, there is no change in voltage since both sides of the transformer have the same number of turns.
 
I actually use the Boozehound Labs pre-pre for my denon, which is not actually a step-up transformer. It's a great design and sounds wonderful. It also gives me some versatility to use different cartridges in the future where most actual step-up transformers have fixed loading and gain.
 
Before they finally switched to the one piece subchassis-armboard combo (whatever it's called), Linn had been widely (and deservedly) ridiculed for a very, ahem, "lively" armboard connection. The armboard is really just nipped with 3 self-tapping screws from below.

The Basik Plus is a very meh tonearm even when it works properly, but the worst thing about them is the sheer number of Basik/Basik Plus/Akito mk1 tonearms with sticky bearings that are out in the wild.
I had this problem with the Akito on my LP12. They told me it could not be repaired and I replaced it with Jelco 750 at the time. Then I sold the LP12 with the Jelco.
A Linn is always tempting (well, at least it was to me). Living with one for a year or two , I never felt it was overall better to my Thorens TD160HD/RB300 VTA . I still have the 160HD and still very happy with it.
 
I had this problem with the Akito on my LP12. They told me it could not be repaired and I replaced it with Jelco 750 at the time. Then I sold the LP12 with the Jelco.
A Linn is always tempting (well, at least it was to me). Living with one for a year or two , I never felt it was overall better to my Thorens TD160HD/RB300 VTA . I still have the 160HD and still very happy with it.

For me, Linn will always be an example of British "faux high end". Another great example is Musical Fidelity - their devices look very impressive from the outside with thick aluminium faceplates and solid metal knobs, but open them up and they are full of cheap off-brand parts.
 
For me, Linn will always be an example of British "faux high end". Another great example is Musical Fidelity - their devices look very impressive from the outside with thick aluminium faceplates and solid metal knobs, but open them up and they are full of cheap off-brand parts.
I agree. Now that I fitted a Grace G940 on the TD160HD , I agree even more .
 
Well another one popped up at the local audio store. Linn Sondek LP12 w/ Ittok LVIII arm and Lingo power supply. $1,500 needs cartridge and tonearm cable.

Pictures from their website added.
 

Attachments

  • EE9FA646-9CE8-4DE9-97A9-806693ED8F2E.jpeg
    EE9FA646-9CE8-4DE9-97A9-806693ED8F2E.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 78D4E9A0-9FA4-4FB8-B967-0B6E3BBB56A8.jpeg
    78D4E9A0-9FA4-4FB8-B967-0B6E3BBB56A8.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 31
Where does the Thorens 147 table fall into the range of sound, overall tables. ? I seem to hear more about the other models or maybe it is just what is being worked on lately at the forums I visit.
 
Well another one popped up at the local audio store. Linn Sondek LP12 w/ Ittok LVIII arm and Lingo power supply. $1,500 needs cartridge and tonearm cable.

Looks like it's in very nice condition judging from the pics, and It's got an Ittok. :thumbsup:

jeff
 
Where does the Thorens 147 table fall into the range of sound, overall tables. ? I seem to hear more about the other models or maybe it is just what is being worked on lately at the forums I visit.
IIRC, the TD-147 is basically a TD-160 Super, but with a factory auto-return arm. Kind of like what the TD-145 is to the regular TD-160.

It's generally considered quite good in the Thorens lineup, and a bit under the radar compared to the more popular belt-drive models like the TD-125 and TD-160/160 Super.
 
Back
Top Bottom