• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens TD166 MKII

OK I had the chance to look at it more. There is a EXCEL ES-28 cartridge on it. I installed a new belt on it but this is not the Thorens one since I received the not branded one I ordered before the genuine one. There is something missing on one of the hinge and I'm not sure how they work and if they are missing something else.

Also, I find it a little bouncy, especially when I switch from 33 RPM to 45 RPM and vice versa. Do you guys know if this is expected? Maybe suspension should be replaced? I feels a little bit like this video:

Here is some shot:
00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125620325_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125711645_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125717378_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125722939_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125734568_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125742414_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125747797_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125816580_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125821403_COVER.jpg 00000IMG_00000_BURST20181118125827027_COVER.jpg
 
Just realized my tonearm is not the stock one. Maybe someone could help me identifying this one? Is it better than the stock one?
 
I've owned the same TT since the late 80's. While everything in my system has been changed, upgraded, passed along, my Thorens TT has remained. After all these years I've never wanted anything else, it's that good. Good Luck.
 
It seems to be the TP-11 tonearm which was the OEM tonearm for this table, but the headshell seems to be the TP-60. I guess the previous owner just replaced the headshell.
 
It seems to be the TP-11 tonearm which was the OEM tonearm for this table, but the headshell seems to be the TP-60. I guess the previous owner just replaced the headshell.
Yeah, the previous owner could've easily swapped out the TP11 mkii or mkiii for that TP11 for the convenience of using the headshell like the TP60, instead of having to swap the cartridge if he/she had the TP11 mkiii which had a detachable wand.

As for wobbly suspension, it might be the motor or the motor shaft. When people move these tables around without removing the heavy platter first, it can easily damage the shaft - causing the motor to wobble. With a proper setup, it's a great TT. Congrats!
 
Last edited:
Glad to see that you are getting the table tuned in. Have you visited the Analog Department web-site yet (http://www.theanalogdept.com/). I use the site as my Bible for ALL things Thorens tables. Just keep up the work and you will eventually end up with a superb table, I guarantee you! Pictured below is my 1st Thorens table (TD-150). I spent countless hours on setup\tweaks\mods to it. But when I finished it sang like an angel. It was affectionately called "My Baby" by my wife.

Before:
upload_2019-1-23_9-43-14.png

After:
upload_2019-1-23_10-3-27.png
upload_2019-1-23_10-4-10.png
 
Glad to see that you are getting the table tuned in. Have you visited the Analog Department web-site yet (http://www.theanalogdept.com/). I use the site as my Bible for ALL things Thorens tables. Just keep up the work and you will eventually end up with a superb table, I guarantee you! Pictured below is my 1st Thorens table (TD-150). I spent countless hours on setup\tweaks\mods to it. But when I finished it sang like an angel. It was affectionately called "My Baby" by my wife.

Before:
View attachment 1395477

After:
View attachment 1395491
View attachment 1395492
What a beauty!

I looked at the website. I found it a little confusing but I will definately keep it a s a reference. What do you suggest I start with mine? Since this is a suspension table I read it's not recommended to use an heavier plinth. I was thinking about replacing the suspension at first. What do you thing?
 
Last edited:
Thanks Jeremy, But my main purpose of posting the pics was to show and tell you what you can do to these tables. Most of my time with the 150 involved setting up the suspension and dampening. After that it was a breeze with the rest of it. As said before, the 166 is a superb sounding table when it is tuned in.
 
Thanks Jeremy, But my main purpose of posting the pics was to show and tell you what you can do to these tables. Most of my time with the 150 involved setting up the suspension and dampening. After that it was a breeze with the rest of it. As said before, the 166 is a superb sounding table when it is tuned in.
Started with this:
http://www.theanalogdept.com/susp_tim_bailey.htm

Can you enlighten me with "residual current detection device in the AC line. AKA safety switch, or ELB - earth leakage breaker"? I don't really know what this is. Thanks in advance! :)
 
So you don't know what the residual current detection device is niether?
So where in the heck did you come across with using a RCD and the Thorens table? An RCD is used mostly for protecting a person from an electrical shock. I can see using one if you plan on listening to the table while in the shower or bathtub. Other than that :dunno:.
 
So where in the heck did you come across with using a RCD and the Thorens table? An RCD is used mostly for protecting a person from an electrical shock. I can see using one if you plan on listening to the table while in the shower or bathtub. Other than that :dunno:.
Haha! This is what I found when googling so I expected I wasn't looking at the good thing. This is in the link I provided, from the Analog Dept website. :P
 
Back
Top Bottom