• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thorens w/RB250?

MWalt

Super Member
Can a Thorens TD 145 MK II be retrofitted with a Rega RB250 tone arm? If so, is there an advantage over the stock low mass tonearm?
 
Register to hide this ad
The RB250 would work on your TD145. But you would have to either modify or purchase a different base plate for the Rega. As to what advantage the Rega would be over the stock arm, I would say it would be a big leap forward. The TP16 TA is no slouch by any means. But it is just not in the same league with the Rega. Not in its stock form anyway.
 
There's a guy on the "auction site" (I think in GB) that sells the adapter plate for around $40. I think you can even get one with a VTA adjuster for a little more. Your MkII has the later arm with 7.5 effective mass. You can run very high compliance carts on that arm with good results (I have one and do). You also have the ability to change "wands" if you have another cart mounted. TP62 & TP63 wand will work and typically run between $65 - $100.

I also have a VPI HW19 MkIII with a Rega RB300. I think it has an effective mass around 11.5-12. I like both decks but the VPI/Rega is my primary.

If you do the arm swap you will arguably end up with a better arm with some upgrade potential. On the downside, you'll lose your automated arm lift and the ability to change wands. You'll have to decide how to weigh the pluses and minuses. Good luck...
 
One of the beauties of Thorens TD-125 /126 , 140 / 145 / 147, and 160 / 166 line of TT´s is that you can fit almost any arm you want to. In some models you can even fit longer ( 12" ) arms.
 
I read that Rega arms are not a good match for thorens turntables. SME arms are the best match IMO. I took the arm off mine and put on a SME 3009 and couldn't be happier.:music::thmbsp:
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • My Thorens.jpg
    My Thorens.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 102
I read that Rega arms are not a good match for thorens turntables. SME arms are the best match IMO. I took the arm off mine and put on a SME 3009 and couldn't be happier.:music::thmbsp:
attachment.php

Can't disagree that the SME is a beautiful looking & match for the Thorens tables. But, I respectfully disagree about the statement of the Regas as not being a good match for the Thorens tables. I took the below TD150 from stock form to major modifications and could not have been more satisfied with the RB300 I installed on it.

DKeeper7.jpg

DKeeper5.jpg
 
What I should have said was, not a good fit on a TD-160 MKI. You will have to grind a little of the subchassis down to fit it because of the different mounting distance. The SME has just about the same mounting distance as the original Thorens arm.
 
Back
Top Bottom