• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thought I Found My DAC and Then

geode

F4 Phantom Seat Jockey
Subscriber
So, I did a lot of reading on DACs. There is so much info your head will swim. I found the Topping DX3pro+ dac that did all i needed. It has a USB, two coax, one optical, and Bluetooth. The reviews i read seemed pretty good to me. So, I bought it. I was very pleased for the first week and then started noticing bad stuff. The coax connection between the dac and cd player made some distorted crackling noise. After some time it would go away, until next startup when it started the noise again. Swapped two coax interconnects and different inputs to know avail. The bluetooth sounded distorted as well. Then the bluetooth stopped working. It connected and showed 48k rate, but no sound. The crackling noise appeared on my volume control, too. Every detent there was noise. The cd player sounds great through my preamp as long as it's not going through the DAC.. So, back it goes. Now I'm starting over looking for a DAC with the same features but hopefully not built in China. Any recommendations for a DAC appreciated
 
Register to hide this ad
So, I did a lot of reading on DACs. There is so much info your head will swim. I found the Topping DX3pro+ dac that did all i needed. It has a USB, two coax, one optical, and Bluetooth. The reviews i read seemed pretty good to me. So, I bought it. I was very pleased for the first week and then started noticing bad stuff. The coax connection between the dac and cd player made some distorted crackling noise. After some time it would go away, until next startup when it started the noise again. Swapped two coax interconnects and different inputs to know avail. The bluetooth sounded distorted as well. Then the bluetooth stopped working. It connected and showed 48k rate, but no sound. The crackling noise appeared on my volume control, too. Every detent there was noise. The cd player sounds great through my preamp as long as it's not going through the DAC.. So, back it goes. Now I'm starting over looking for a DAC with the same features but hopefully not built in China. Any recommendations for a DAC appreciated

I have a DX3pro+, and while I don't use it all the time, I've had it for two years and never had a problem. I think, unfortunately, you got a lemon. Most people seem very happy with their Topping DACs. Maybe you should try another one, they're easy enought to return.

An alternative would be the Cambridge Dac Magic 200. These get wonderful reviews. But be aware that they are assembled in China! I'm afraid you'll be hard pressed to find anything in your price range, and with the features you want, that *isn't* these days.
 
I have a DX3pro+, and while I don't use it all the time, I've had it for two years and never had a problem. I think, unfortunately, you got a lemon. Most people seem very happy with their Topping DACs. Maybe you should try another one, they're easy enought to return.

An alternative would be the Cambridge Dac Magic 200. These get wonderful reviews. But be aware that they are assembled in China! I'm afraid you'll be hard pressed to find anything in your price range, and with the features you want, that *isn't* these days.

Yeah, most people like them. I am contemplating trying another one. My China remark is probably a little harsh since my other DAC is an Audio Gd. Have had it for about ten years without a problem. The Topping has everything I wanted. Sounded good too until it didn't.
 
I'm not sure Schitt has a DAC that does Bluetooth.

I don't do bluetooth. If bluetooth is necessary, then no. They are both US companies though, as to why I mentioned them.

There are small bluetooth transmitters, which many or may not work for your ends with a dac, I really don't know. Just a thought.
 
I have a Topping E30 dac, and it has been very good, but lately I’ve been using a Jolita Glass FX dac, both sound very good, and it’s nice to have options. But I think the OP got a bad unit and should probably return it.
 
Yep, pretty sure I got a lemon. I will likely try another one. It just really fits the needs for me.
 
I have the Topping D50 and it sounds great. Have had it for over a year now with no issues. The D50 has optical,coax,usb and volume control so you can use it as a pre-amp. The D50s has the same connections but also has BT.
 
Hmmm...found this one McIntosh MB20 for $500. Anybody familiar with this one.
 
I have the Topping D50 and it sounds great. Have had it for over a year now with no issues. The D50 has optical,coax,usb and volume control so you can use it as a pre-amp. The D50s has the same connections but also has BT.

Will take a look. Thanks.
 
You have some very nice equipment there. It deserves a good clean source to appreciate its potential. I would seriously consider the Cambridge DacMagic 200m to be a good match at a reasonable price for this level of performance.

If your into streaming music , and you can handle the price, consider the Cambridge CX-N network receiver I'd like one to match my CX- C CD transport to feed my Bryston integrated amp. The CX- N network receiver and the DacMagic 200m is serious equipment, as are those Parasound amps. No sense compromising a good stereo system with a mediocre source.

You might find one of those products someone traded in at a trusted dealer for a decent price.
 
Last edited:
You have some very nice equipment there. It deserves a good clean source to appreciate its potential. I would seriously consider the Cambridge DacMagic 200m to be a good match at a reasonable price for this level of performance.

If your into streaming music , and you can handle the price, consider the Cambridge CX-N network receiver I'd like one to match my CX- C CD transport to feed my Bryston integrated amp. The CX- N network receiver and the DacMagic 200m is serious equipment, as are those Parasound amps. No sense compromising a good stereo system with a mediocre source.

You might find one of those products someone traded in at a trusted dealer for a decent price.

Yeah, I didn't mention the DAC is for my other system. I'm putting together a tube system. So far, It's the Tubes4HiFi SP14 preamp and VTA ST120 amp. I'm going to add the PH16 phono preamp shortly. But the DAC is for this system.
 
Yeah, I didn't mention the DAC is for my other system. I'm putting together a tube system. So far, It's the Tubes4HiFi SP14 preamp and VTA ST120 amp. I'm going to add the PH16 phono preamp shortly. But the DAC is for this system.

Yes, after reading another post I realized you have a good DAC in your SS system. I'm sure it is quite good.
 
I'm looking hard at the Cambridge DacMagic 200m mentioned in post 14 above. It's more $ than the Topping but really good reviews and nice feature rich DAC. CA has a good reputation in all things audio. Hmmm...
 
It's for my tube system. Funny thing, I have never used the P5 DAC.

Gotcha. I've been looking at some separate DAC's again as well. I use a Topping D10S for USB and has worked great for a year now. I'm wanting something with a little more input and also looked at the SMSL DO100 which is reasonable and has the BT you're looking for. It's another Chi-Fi brand so I guess it could be hit or miss as well. I'm not sure who has one with BT made in the US. Definitely lots of stuff out there.
 
Yeah, I didn't mention the DAC is for my other system. I'm putting together a tube system. So far, It's the Tubes4HiFi SP14 preamp and VTA ST120 amp. I'm going to add the PH16 phono preamp shortly. But the DAC is for this system.

Very nice tube system! I made a home-brew version of the SP14 with the board and my own chassis. It's a great preamp. I think you'll find the Cambridge DAC Magic a significant improvement in refinement and musicality.
 
Back
Top Bottom