• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thought I Found My DAC and Then

Gotcha. I've been looking at some separate DAC's again as well. I use a Topping D10S for USB and has worked great for a year now. I'm wanting something with a little more input and also looked at the SMSL DO100 which is reasonable and has the BT you're looking for. It's another Chi-Fi brand so I guess it could be hit or miss as well. I'm not sure who has one with BT made in the US. Definitely lots of stuff out there.

Yeah, I could do research forever. Lots of DACs and reviews. Still might give Topping another go.
 
Very nice tube system! I made a home-brew version of the SP14 with the board and my own chassis. It's a great .preamp. I think you'll find the Cambridge DAC Magic a significant improvement in refinement and musicality.

Yes the SP14 mated with Bob's VTA ST120 amp sounds great. It is the first tube equipment I have ever had. I have been rolling tubes both preamp and amp. Can't wait to get the phono preamp built. The Cambridge is rising to the top. Since it is twice the price of the Topping DAC I have been looking at DACs in the $500 or so range, too.
 
The Cambridge is rising to the top. Since it is twice the price of the Topping DAC I have been looking at DACs in the $500 or so range, too.
My experience with DACs is quite limited but I'd suggest you take a look at the Loxjie D30.

I bought one of the original versions and have been using it for about 18 months or so. It has inputs for optical, USB, coax and bluetooth and it has several filter settings. It can be run as a straight DAC or as a preamp with remote control. As a bonus, although I've never used it, it also has a headphone output.

I actually picked it up thinking it would be a stopgap while I was waiting (. . . and waiting) for a Schiit Modi Multibit. The Schiit finally arrived (after about 7 or 8 months!) and I do use it in one system but I prefer the Loxjie. The Modi is nice but it has none of the features of the Loxjie and I don't like that it runs really hot.

I recently decided to look for a DAC for another system and I was considering the Topping E30 since the newest version of the Loxjie D30 costs about $100 more than the original because they added MQA, which I have no use for. The E30 seemed very similar to the Loxjie except that it has no bluetooth or headphone out but it's priced about the same as the original Loxjie version.

But when I was researching the Topping DACs I started reading that a lot of owners - many of whom had bought them based on reviews on Audio Science Review - were having problems and Topping and ASR were getting a lot of grief as a result. I got the impression that Topping still hasn't resolved the issues. I don't know if all the Topping models were affected but I became leery of their quality control. Fortunately, I was able to find a slightly used original version of the Loxjie D30.

But even the newest version of the Loxjie D30, with MQA, is only ~$260 shipped, so well within your price range and worth a close look.

I use them with tube systems too, if it matters.
 
My experience with DACs is quite limited but I'd suggest you take a look at the Loxjie D30.

I bought one of the original versions and have been using it for about 18 months or so. It has inputs for optical, USB, coax and bluetooth and it has several filter settings. It can be run as a straight DAC or as a preamp with remote control. As a bonus, although I've never used it, it also has a headphone output.

I actually picked it up thinking it would be a stopgap while I was waiting (. . . and waiting) for a Schiit Modi Multibit. The Schiit finally arrived (after about 7 or 8 months!) and I do use it in one system but I prefer the Loxjie. The Modi is nice but it has none of the features of the Loxjie and I don't like that it runs really hot.

I recently decided to look for a DAC for another system and I was considering the Topping E30 since the newest version of the Loxjie D30 costs about $100 more than the original because they added MQA, which I have no use for. The E30 seemed very similar to the Loxjie except that it has no bluetooth or headphone out but it's priced about the same as the original Loxjie version.

But when I was researching the Topping DACs I started reading that a lot of owners - many of whom had bought them based on reviews on Audio Science Review - were having problems and Topping and ASR were getting a lot of grief as a result. I got the impression that Topping still hasn't resolved the issues. I don't know if all the Topping models were affected but I became leery of their quality control. Fortunately, I was able to find a slightly used original version of the Loxjie D30.

But even the newest version of the Loxjie D30, with MQA, is only ~$260 shipped, so well within your price range and worth a close look.

I use them with tube systems too, if it matters.

Cool and thanks. I will take a look.
 

That is a nice looking DAC. I have concerns, though. I am very familiar with Elna Silmic caps having used many over the years. I have never seen a Silmic that looked like the ones they show in the parts photos. All the Silmics I have seen and used are maroon colored with white lettering, not black and gold as theirs are. Additionally, Elna discontinued the Silmic line

That is a nice looking dac. The pictures of the Elna Silmic caps threw me, though. I have used many Elna Silmics through the years and all of them have been brown/maroon colored with white lettering. The Elnas they use in their dac are black/gold. And then Elna has discontinued the Silmic series. To me it screamed counterfeit parts, until I did some research. I found Elnas Silmics for the Asian market are Black/Gold. Discontinued is a worry, though.
 
IMO, a company as reputable as iFi would not put counterfeit parts in their units. The sound of this DAC is incredible. That’s both thru Bluetooth and SPDIF.
 
Just out of curiosity, did you try a different cable? I was having an issue with my ARES II with USB and switched out cables and all was good.
 
Just out of curiosity, did you try a different cable? I was having an issue with my ARES II with USB and switched out cables and all was good.

I never got around to using the USB. I used coax from cd player to DAC and also used Bluetooth. And I did swap all the cables out. This DAC was defective.
 
IMO, a company as reputable as iFi would not put counterfeit parts in their units. The sound of this DAC is incredible. That’s both thru Bluetooth and SPDIF.

Probably right. What threw me was the coloring of the caps that I am very familiar with. I never knew they had Silmics for the Asian market. But then again there is a lot I don't know. Live and learn. I am researching the iFi because it does what I want.
 
View attachment 2688081

That’s great news! You will enjoy it immensely.
Already shipped :banana:I'm looking forward to it. Going through those tubes should sound glorious :rockon: Thanks for the suggestion. Other good info from folks in the thread. Makes the job easier to listen to other peoples opinions. Will let y'all know my thoughts on it when I get a chance to play it. Can't wait.
 
Already shipped :banana:I'm looking forward to it. Going through those tubes should sound glorious :rockon: Thanks for the suggestion. Other good info from folks in the thread. Makes the job easier to listen to other peoples opinions. Will let y'all know my thoughts on it when I get a chance to play it. Can't wait.

For the Bluetooth side, I feed it Apple Lossless and the sound is superb. On the SPDIF side it is hooked into my Rotel CDP and sounds equally sweet.
 
Already shipped :banana:I'm looking forward to it. Going through those tubes should sound glorious :rockon: Thanks for the suggestion. Other good info from folks in the thread. Makes the job easier to listen to other peoples opinions. Will let y'all know my thoughts on it when I get a chance to play it. Can't wait.
:lurk:
 
It occurred to me that I never gave feedback on this DAC. I did get and use the iFi Zen One Signature model. I can say it has been performing flawlessly and sounds great. I really have used it only with the Bluetooth connection. I will compare it to the DACs in the Sony Blueray player. Those DACs aren't too shabby, though. I wished I could give a better accounting, but I am a man of few words. :) I can say that I would buy this DAC again.
 
Back
Top Bottom