• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts on Hana SL MKii and AT 33SA carts?

what a terrible warped record!!! But the cartridge handles it without skipping, what cartridge is it?
a8794d0c-d0d3-48f5-a9d1-48715e753f6c.jpg

Denon DL-103SA on a SME 3009 arm, Sony 2251 turntable.

acf00530-8d53-4892-9720-e7dbd56903da.jpg


____________________________

The Technics arm tracks warped LPs pretty well, too. :thumbsup:
Saved By Zero.
The Fixx - "Reach The Beach." MCA Records. VIM-6308. Victor Musical Industry pressing (Japan). 1983.
Run-out: V 〄 Ⓑ FX-1002A 111 * LN AU
 
A simple way to allow azimuth adjustment with fixed headshell, 1/8 turn on each side is a suitable increment
img_5369-jpeg.1069808
I've seen this method before. It is particularly valuable information in that many, if not most, headshells cannot be rotated so a way to change the azimuth is required. This fits the bill quite well, I would say! What are you using for a shim in the center, if I might ask?
 
How does it do the edge warp?
Prolly heat during the shipment. I've had a few like this. :)

It shows that the cartridge and tonearm suspension must react in real-time to the surface and groove dynamics. Setting the static parameters is only part of the story of successfully tracking an LP. :thumbsup:

Crystal Blue Persuasion.
Off "Crimson & Clover." Roulette Records. SR 42023. RCA Toronto pressing. 1969.
Run-out: RSD-528-A SR-42023-A TG.
 
Last edited:
I've seen this method before. It is particularly valuable information in that many, if not most, headshells cannot be rotated so a way to change the azimuth is required. This fits the bill quite well, I would say! What are you using for a shim in the center, if I might ask?
Used scissors to cut a piece of plastic off a key card or credit card, Mastercard premium super gold extra plus made by Hawaiian virgins is best is best of course
A strip of suitable gauge copper wire could do the same I guess
On my SME V I use Wally's Fulcrum, google it and you see. Every cartridge I own benefit from this azimuth adjustment
 
Last edited:
Used scissors to cut a piece of plastic off a key card or credit card, Mastercard premium super gold extra plus made by Hawaiian virgins is best is best of course
A strip of suitable gauge copper wire could do the same I guess
On my SME V I use Wally's Fulcrum, google it and you see. Every cartridge I own benefit from this azimuth adjustment
The MoFi Geo Disc features a raised line of sight for judging azimuth. :)

a36622ad-c935-4baf-8aaa-682bf0e5e50c.jpg


34cccd66-651d-4293-9cef-596eb7f76f00.jpg
 
Last edited:
img_2157-jpeg.994893
1740313266711-png.1100116
img_6871-jpeg.1106391



I have the same but do not use it much. Not sure which alignment it gives. It depends also on how exact you point at the pivot point, I fooled myself with it , so I prefer two-point protractors.
Anyway a mirrorlike surface or CD is easier for visual azimuth I think. Using electrical Azimuth I get 2-8 db improvement after setting it visually.On some cartridges the stylus must be tilted 2-3 degrees to get a good electrical Azimuth..


… the top one showed above I returned , several degrees off! A USB microscope is very useful with my old eyes and not so steady hands..
 
Last edited:
Hi, need some advice. Want to spend up to $850 or so on a MC cartridge. Debating between AT 33SA and Hana SL MKii. Would love some feedback!! Leaning toward 33SA because I already have the 33mono and like to swap headshells on my technics SL 1200 MK2. Can keep my phono preamp settings the same, which would make things easy. But I have never heard a Hana and know there are lots of fans out there.

that is not an easy call. I have both. They are somewhat different but not huge. Not to muddy the waters but with either cart, you may want to consider a nice step up trans into your MM input vs. using an MC input on your phono stage.
 
that is not an easy call. I have both. They are somewhat different but not huge. Not to muddy the waters but with either cart, you may want to consider a nice step up trans into your MM input vs. using an MC input on your phono stage.
Personal expectations probably play a bigger role than physical differences. I happened to like the Shibata tips with my systems. However, alignment must be the best possible, to get the most out of these fine tips.
 
Last edited:
that is not an easy call. I have both. They are somewhat different but not huge. Not to muddy the waters but with either cart, you may want to consider a nice step up trans into your MM input vs. using an MC input on your phono stage.
Hi, do you mind sharing what differences you thought they had? Are their voicings quite different? To me, the 33Sa is highly resolving and fairly neutral. I really do enjoy it - using with an AT630 SUT too, with great results. It’s getting a little long in the tooth though and am considering the Hana SL Mk2 as a replacement but unsure how it compares sonically to the 33Sa. Hard to get Shibata and a Boron pipe at the price of the 33Sa.

Or I may skip the SL and go with the new AT33xMLB for more of the same. Never tried Hana so unsure how it compares.

Many thanks.
 
Personal expectations probably play a bigger role than physical differences. I happened to like the Shibata tips with my systems. However, alignment must be the best possible, to get the most out of these fine tips.
yes would tend to agree with your thoughts on the shibata tip. With a given suspension it should be able to track finer resolutions pressed into the vinyl.
 
Hi, do you mind sharing what differences you thought they had? Are their voicings quite different? To me, the 33Sa is highly resolving and fairly neutral. I really do enjoy it - using with an AT630 SUT too, with great results. It’s getting a little long in the tooth though and am considering the Hana SL Mk2 as a replacement but unsure how it compares sonically to the 33Sa. Hard to get Shibata and a Boron pipe at the price of the 33Sa.

Or I may skip the SL and go with the new AT33xMLB for more of the same. Never tried Hana so unsure how it compares.

Many thanks.

Not sure I understand. Do you mean differences between carts, or differences between SUTs and/or MC stages?
 
img_2157-jpeg.994893
1740313266711-png.1100116
img_6871-jpeg.1106391



I have the same but do not use it much. Not sure which alignment it gives. It depends also on how exact you point at the pivot point, I fooled myself with it , so I prefer two-point protractors.
Anyway a mirrorlike surface or CD is easier for visual azimuth I think. Using electrical Azimuth I get 2-8 db improvement after setting it visually.On some cartridges the stylus must be tilted 2-3 degrees to get a good electrical Azimuth..


… the top one showed above I returned , several degrees off! A USB microscope is very useful with my old eyes and not so steady hands..

Wow some really nice photos you have taken. Nice work.
 
Back
Top Bottom