• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts on vintage receiver prices?

SweetRolls

New Member
I've always wanted to own a 70's woodgrain receiver. Not one of those bottom of the barrel/compact systems, but a "real" receiver, like a Pioneer SX-3800. I really love that flourescent display.

They are quite expensive, though. SX-3800's on eBay can be found for $600+. I have a hard time justifying that price tag, although the sellers of these receivers claim that they've been serviced and or refurbished. I dunno.

Would it be smart to spend $600 or more on one of these eBay receivers? I'd have to start putting some money aside, of course.
 
Register to hide this ad
Try looking on your local Craigslist under "electronics", search for "vintage receivers".

You might get lucky and avoid both eBay prices and shipping costs/hazards.
 
Or, become a subscriber on AK and purchase receiver from someone in the community on the Barter Town. There are people that just buy, use and sell if they don't like it but some of the sellers are professional techs and sell units they refurbish. There are quite a few with great reputation here
 
I won't say it isn't smart, but I would not do it. My reasons are they are old and may require (further?) repair (restoring) - expensive if not diy - plus, I am not as enamored of the sound quality of '70s gear as are many here. However, I rather suspect you are not buying for me, so it is your ear, your money and your preference at issue. Go for it if it seems worth it to you, with my blessing.
 
The Pioneer/Marantz/Sansui receivers are way overpriced for someone just needing a good receiver to enjoy. But name recognition and the demand because of that has caused these brands to sell for 2-5 times as much as some other brands.

As far as 'service' that means wiped with a damp rag. My tech looked at it means that if there was something wrong when he had it that might have been addressed. A complete restore needs all the electrolytic caps replaced, some other components replaced and a complete adjustment of the operation of the unit, from AM to FM to the amp and any other electrical adjustments on the unit. These restorations are 400 and up for a large receiver and up goes pretty high for a Marantz 4400, nearly 2 grand for everything. It is worth the money to have these done for a keeper unit but not for one you want to enjoy for a few months and move on.
 
Try looking on your local Craigslist under "electronics", search for "vintage receivers".

You might get lucky and avoid both eBay prices and shipping costs/hazards.

I live in a small rural town, so Craigslist isn't really an option for me, unfortunately. Neither are thrift stores. All of the good ones around here have been shut down.

Only thing that's left is my local Goodwill, filled to the brim with HTiB systems. As well as little thrift stores that only sell weird knick knacks and junk furniture. :p

I'll most likely become a subscriber and check out Barter Town sometime in the future, thank you all for your input.
 
It is worth the money to have these done for a keeper unit but not for one you want to enjoy for a few months and move on.

Yeah, a keeper unit is definitely my goal. I've been through so many thrifted receivers.

For my bedroom system, I've settled on a beautiful 80's Pioneer SX-50 that I'll be keeping for the rest of my life. All I'd like now is a woodgrain receiver, and I'll be all set.

Well, now that I think about it, the "all set" part is actually a lie, I'll probably end up with a plethora of receivers. The addiction never ends. :bigok:
 
I believe for some older people (like myself) there's a certain amount of nostalgia when it comes to vintage gear, as though owning something from a time in ones past will somehow recapture that early part of their life.

Frankly, I look at some of the gear and wonder why it isn't sitting in a garbage heap. I choose to stick with newer gear, and I'm quite happy doing so.
 
It all depends on if you can afford it. They are ridiculously overpriced right now. That doesn't necessarily mean they are not a good value, if that's what you want to do with your money. If I wanted something cool and cheap right now, I would get this
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...-bluetooth-usb-aux-phono-in-sub-out--300-3842

Most of us have some vintage receivers, I still have a few in use, all my kids do, but I got them for next to nothing. Sold a few for huge profits to get some newer gear. They do have visual appeal, your mission is to decide if it's worth it to you.
I would ask all my friends and tell them to ask their friends and relatives if anyone has something stashed away in a closet. Thar's gold in dem vintage sterios.
 
It all depends on if you can afford it. They are ridiculously overpriced right now. That doesn't necessarily mean they are not a good value, if that's what you want to do with your money. If I wanted something cool and cheap right now, I would get this
https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...-bluetooth-usb-aux-phono-in-sub-out--300-3842

Most of us have some vintage receivers, I still have a few in use, all my kids do, but I got them for next to nothing. Sold a few for huge profits to get some newer gear. They do have visual appeal, your mission is to decide if it's worth it to you.
I would ask all my friends and tell them to ask their friends and relatives if anyone has something stashed away in a closet. Thar's gold in dem vintage sterios.

I point to that amplifier as a best buy, but if you can afford restored* vintage it is well worthwhile.
* properly restored by someone who knows what they are doing.
 
I just checked Portland Craigslist out. Man, there's a whole bunch of cheap and good-looking vintage receivers listed on there. Did spot an SX-3700 as well. I'm going to college in Portland later this year, so maybe I'll have a chance to pick one up!
 
Some higher level SS Fisher / Sanyo receivers are great too.
Late 70s-early 80s Philips receivers are very nice stylish looking and sound is top notch.
I worked on couple big Sony units in last several months. STR-V6 and STR-V7. Rare but kinda under the radar. Great units
 
Ebay is 90% overpriced but, in my experience, you can still find deals if you look often enough. For ex, I got a Sansui Six for like $100 shipped because it had noisy preamp transistors -- replaced them for like $10. I look for either 1. buy it now prices that are low because the seller doesn't understand what is wrong with the gear, doesn't know what they are selling, really needs money fast etc. 2. auctions for lesser-known gear that just aren't getting many bids 3. sellers that have the "Make an Offer" feature will sometimes accept offers way below the buy it now price. Odds of a decent deal are probably better for less popular brands though, most Marantz, McIntosh, etc. sellers are collectors at this point and know values.

In my experience CL is even more extreme than Ebay. The overpriced stuff on my local CL is like hilariously overpriced; I've seen ST-70s for $2000, mid-range Marantz for over a grand, etc. Of course these units just sit there for months with no takers. But, some people will list gear to CL for very cheap, so there are good opportunities to snipe. Especially people who are just fed up with having something and don't want to deal with shipping.
 
I just checked Portland Craigslist out. Man, there's a whole bunch of cheap and good-looking vintage receivers listed on there. Did spot an SX-3700 as well. I'm going to college in Portland later this year, so maybe I'll have a chance to pick one up!

You're not looking for a bargain, you're looking for a keeper, allow $500 for a proper restoration for a total of around $1,000.
You should be able to get 20 years after the restoration and then sell it for what you paid for it.
Love the unit that you buy, you are going to have it for a long time.
 
There may be be a few more than that.
Sony
JVC
Lafayette
HeathKit
Kenwood
Allied
I have to agree with you on everything but Sony. All the really good ones are expensive now days. Kenwoods are sneaking up there too in my area, but still largely bargains.
You brought up some brands I haven’t thought of in a long time. Allied and HeathKit were things my did tinkered with.

I’m not sure if I should thank you or cry. Now I’m going to wind up with even more off brands that I won’t be reselling. :)
 
Sounds like Ebay is the place to sell, not buy. Fortunately, I started buying most of my vintage stuff on Ebay about 6 years ago when they were cheaper. For starters, among my most prized pieces are the Pioneer SX-1010, recapped and realigned and Marantz 2270.
 
You're not looking for a bargain, you're looking for a keeper, allow $500 for a proper restoration for a total of around $1,000.
You should be able to get 20 years after the restoration and then sell it for what you paid for it.
Love the unit that you buy, you are going to have it for a long time.
I don’t think I will get what I have in my equipment twenty years from now. Look at antique console radios and hot rod values to see our future.
New equipment is better in almost every way if you buy inflation adjusted components.
Time moves on and only a select few items are likely to maintain value after we shuffle off.
 
I have to agree with you on everything but Sony. All the really good ones are expensive now days. Kenwoods are sneaking up there too in my area, but still largely bargains.
You brought up some brands I haven’t thought of in a long time. Allied and HeathKit were things my did tinkered with.

I’m not sure if I should thank you or cry. Now I’m going to wind up with even more off brands that I won’t be reselling. :)

Sony STR-6065. 50 watts.
P2210018.JPG
Kenwood TK-140x. 50 watts.
P3070001.JPG
 
Back
Top Bottom