• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts on vintage receiver prices?

I had to go through buying many silver faced receivers from Yamaha and Luxman (and others) that I lusted after when I was young. I eventually decided these were being wasted if I only listen to streaming music from a single source. I have since passed those on to other AKers and have since switched to mid-fi separates that are pretty cheap and flexible. I also have a stack of former TOTL Denon AVRs that I pass on to friends when they need a cheap good sounding system. If I were you I would Setup automated searches on EBAY for brands in your price range, and checkout Facebook marketplace which is growing in popularity.
 
I also have a stack of former TOTL Denon AVRs that I pass on to friends when they need a cheap good sounding system.
If you don't need silver with colored lights and faux wood case this is a good option. I have a Yamaha RXV870 that was 2nd from TOTL that sounds great in stereo as long as the effects processing is off. My complaint with 70s Yamaha stuff is it sounds very neutral (not much bass) where the RXV870 does not.
 
I just checked Portland Craigslist out. Man, there's a whole bunch of cheap and good-looking vintage receivers listed on there. Did spot an SX-3700 as well. I'm going to college in Portland later this year, so maybe I'll have a chance to pick one up!

Many of the good deals on Portland CL get posted here:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/craigslist-portland-or.64998/page-155#post-14426664

Eugene, Corvallis and Salem also have a supply of vintage gear, albeit less than Portland.

You should check OfferUp for gear as well.

@A23gt and @quiet have good suggestions for reasonable priced vintage receivers brands. However, the price on most vintage stuff in Portland has skyrocketed over the last several years. Kenwood, Sony and Technics are not the value they once were, at least not in the Portland Metro area.

Hit up the Dollar and Sense forum if you are curious about the value of specific items. You can check the Portland - Craigslist thread or start your own.
 
Many of the good deals on Portland CL get posted here:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/craigslist-portland-or.64998/page-155#post-14426664

Eugene, Corvallis and Salem also have a supply of vintage gear, albeit less than Portland.

You should check OfferUp for gear as well.

@A23gt and @quiet have good suggestions for reasonable priced vintage receivers brands. However, the price on most vintage stuff in Portland has skyrocketed over the last several years. Kenwood, Sony and Technics are not the value they once were, at least not in the Portland Metro area.

Hit up the Dollar and Sense forum if you are curious about the value of specific items. You can check the Portland - Craigslist thread or start your own.
I'm in Oregon too... in Portland. I don't know if this area is anything special for audio bargains, but I've bought nearly all of my gear through the local ads (CL and Facebook Marketplace) and have managed to score some great deals. I tend to be pretty flexible about whatever item I happen to be in the market for and I'll just monitor the ads and see what comes up that checks all of the boxes and is available for cheap. It's worked out very well for the most part...
 
I'm in Oregon too... in Portland. I don't know if this area is anything special for audio bargains, but I've bought nearly all of my gear through the local ads (CL and Facebook Marketplace) and have managed to score some great deals. I tend to be pretty flexible about whatever item I happen to be in the market for and I'll just monitor the ads and see what comes up that checks all of the boxes and is available for cheap. It's worked out very well for the most part...

I feel like this is accurate. Of course the great deals go in a heartbeat but there are plenty of good deals to be had if someone is patient, with patient being the key.

Facebook Marketplace is another good option although I find the interface to be frustrating. That may be user error though.
 
Last edited:
I'm in Oregon too... in Portland. I don't know if this area is anything special for audio bargains
Any large metropolitan area is a good place to find audio bargains. Not everything will be a deal and not everything will be ebay priced, just need to filter the deals from the rest and move very quickly. I responded in 7 minutes one time for a deal on a pair of speakers. Or look for something that isn't Pio/Mar/Sui and find great bargains.
 
I've always wanted to own a 70's woodgrain receiver. Not one of those bottom of the barrel/compact systems, but a "real" receiver, like a Pioneer SX-3800. I really love that flourescent display.

They are quite expensive, though. SX-3800's on eBay can be found for $600+. I have a hard time justifying that price tag, although the sellers of these receivers claim that they've been serviced and or refurbished. I dunno.

Would it be smart to spend $600 or more on one of these eBay receivers? I'd have to start putting some money aside, of course.
Find one you wish you could afford and has been taken care of, then send it to a reputable tech for a complete down to the frame restoration, four or five months later bring it home and enjoy, it’s not without sacrifice, in the long run you won’t regret it, skip all the trial and error do it right the first time and you’ll save money in the long run,
It reminds me of people who want to get a boat , there never happy cause they’ll alway want a bigger boat .
 
I've always wanted to own a 70's woodgrain receiver. Not one of those bottom of the barrel/compact systems, but a "real" receiver, like a Pioneer SX-3800. I really love that flourescent display.

They are quite expensive, though. SX-3800's on eBay can be found for $600+. I have a hard time justifying that price tag, although the sellers of these receivers claim that they've been serviced and or refurbished. I dunno.

Would it be smart to spend $600 or more on one of these eBay receivers? I'd have to start putting some money aside, of course.
Try an early realistic digital like the sta2290 100wpc large led redout led peak meters wood sides aluminum faceplate often go between $ 150-300 or an sta2500 or sta2600 vintage look plenty of power nice units that fly under the radar ! Or mid power realistic sta90 or sta95 or is your lucky an sta2080 great receivers that don’t have the name tax !
 
I know I'm happy I bought my big receivers 8 or 10 years ago as prices for them have climbed since then.
 
I don’t think I will get what I have in my equipment twenty years from now. Look at antique console radios and hot rod values to see our future.
New equipment is better in almost every way if you buy inflation adjusted components.
Time moves on and only a select few items are likely to maintain value after we shuffle off.
But, will there be people to buy them in the future. My MIL "invested" in Elvis memorabilia. Unfortunately, not only has the Elvis market dried up, the market for commemorative plates and other kitsch our parents and grandparents loved no longer have much of an audience. None of us knows where old hifi prices are going, but if the economy continues to slow, hot rods will be selling cheap as well. Rich man's toy.
 
But, will there be people to buy them in the future. My MIL "invested" in Elvis memorabilia. Unfortunately, not only has the Elvis market dried up, the market for commemorative plates and other kitsch our parents and grandparents loved no longer have much of an audience. None of us knows where old hifi prices are going, but if the economy continues to slow, hot rods will be selling cheap as well. Rich man's toy.
Exactly my point. Both of the examples I gave have lost value as the people who cherished them have passed on. Not as much as commemorative plates and other dust collectors. Your examples are purely decorative/artistic value driven.

My examples still retain some value because they can be used to receive radio signals or or as transportation.

Once there is no practical application, say for example, broadcast radio ends, then antique radios, and tuners will lose almost all their value. Receivers will probably continue to have value because of their integrated amplifier capabilities.
 
Exactly my point. Both of the examples I gave have lost value as the people who cherished them have passed on. Not as much as commemorative plates and other dust collectors. Your examples are purely decorative/artistic value driven.

My examples still retain some value because they can be used to receive radio signals or or as transportation.

Once there is no practical application, say for example, broadcast radio ends, then antique radios, and tuners will lose almost all their value. Receivers will probably continue to have value because of their integrated amplifier capabilities.
Broadcast radio will go digital and tuners will be worthless. But you still need a buyer for these things to hold value for the amplifier part. Today's teens will have to place more value on a big honking receiver over a tiny class D box. What are the odds? What are the odds of them wanting a '57 Chevy or a T-bucket like their grandparents? Not much.
 
Today's teens will have to place more value on a big honking receiver over a tiny class D box. What are the odds? What are the odds of them wanting a '57 Chevy or a T-bucket like their grandparents? Not much.
Good point here. Not too long ago I bought a small chip amp to test speakers I restore and it sounds great for the 4” square box it is. Add Bluetooth and there is no way most young people would want to buy anything more than this.
 
I think some folks miss out on some obvious things about vintage gear. YES, flea bay has some inflated prices (reminds me of rust bucket mustangs with outragoues prices and the seller says "No low balls, I know what I have" and the only thing not rusted to crap is the VIN tag. It was WORTH something once.
But vintage receivers are more than just mystique. Alot of engineering went into them because of the receiver wars when that was the THING you must have. Competition was fierce so quality had to be good. You think any of these new things will still be chugging sweetly 50 years from now ? PLUS the money factor.
In 1974, a Marantz 2240 (mid level unit) sold for about $449 is about $2700 today. So if you pay $1000 for one you are actually getiing a good used price deal. People always forget that part ..and a 2240 or 2240B are selling for under $1000 (bought mine recently for $630 in perfect working condition and spent about $140 on full retoration kit (caps, trans, etc) ...So always keep in mind

Value of $449 from 1974 to 2023​

$449 in 1974 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $2,778.78 today, an increase of $2,329.78 over 49 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.79% per year between 1974 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 518.88%.

This means that today's prices are 6.19 times as high as average prices since 1974, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. A dollar today only buys 16.158% of what it could buy back then.
 
I think some folks miss out on some obvious things about vintage gear. YES, flea bay has some inflated prices (reminds me of rust bucket mustangs with outragoues prices and the seller says "No low balls, I know what I have" and the only thing not rusted to crap is the VIN tag. It was WORTH something once.
But vintage receivers are more than just mystique. Alot of engineering went into them because of the receiver wars when that was the THING you must have. Competition was fierce so quality had to be good. You think any of these new things will still be chugging sweetly 50 years from now ? PLUS the money factor.
In 1974, a Marantz 2240 (mid level unit) sold for about $449 is about $2700 today. So if you pay $1000 for one you are actually getiing a good used price deal. People always forget that part ..and a 2240 or 2240B are selling for under $1000 (bought mine recently for $630 in perfect working condition and spent about $140 on full retoration kit (caps, trans, etc) ...So always keep in mind

Value of $449 from 1974 to 2023​

$449 in 1974 is equivalent in purchasing power to about $2,778.78 today, an increase of $2,329.78 over 49 years. The dollar had an average inflation rate of 3.79% per year between 1974 and today, producing a cumulative price increase of 518.88%.

This means that today's prices are 6.19 times as high as average prices since 1974, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics consumer price index. A dollar today only buys 16.158% of what it could buy back then.
There really isn't a comparable market for receivers in this day and age to what was available in the '70s. I'm not going to look at an AV receiver and consider that to be a direct comparison, as I don't think that it is.

When you start looking at the purchase price from an inflation standard, in my estimation, your dollars will be spent on gear that's available from the smaller boutique style manufacturers like what Nelson Pass has been involved with for a number of decades now. Although I must say, at a glance at one particular web site selling Pass Labs gear, you're not going to be finding anything there for $3K. There are others that will fall into that price range, however.

I believe the market we have now is more like what existed in the '50s for audiophiles. You generally weren't walking into big box stores then to buy equipment of higher quality.

I'm not talking about the sources, as that's a different game, too. I wouldn't consider buying a piece of gear such as an integrated that has a DAC because I look at DACs as one of those technologies that should be separate from a preamp or integrated amp.

If I were to go and buy a new preamp/amplifier (because there are no receivers - not that I'd want one anyway) today for roughly $3K, I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't last decades with proper maintenance. That is - if the components are still available to service it. I've been here long enough to know that concept isn't foreign to equipment from the so called 'Golden Era' of receivers as well.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom