• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts regarding a McIntosh 2125 amp

bear-hifi

Well-Known Member
I have a friend that what’s my McCormack DNA 1 Deluxe and he has two 2125s running as mono amps. Possible trade??? Anyway I have heard good things about Macs and ribbon speakers and though I would get some opinions here 1st.

Also, would there be any good mods that could improve the Mac?


As always thank you for your time.

Frank
 
Register to hide this ad
I own a single mc 2125 driving a couple of big Ohm Walsh 300's. I think it's a wonderful amp and drives my hefty load speakers with a certain grace that's hard to describe. The amp that held (a high end brand that I used to sell) it's spot until last year sounded great but I always felt it was a bit to aggressive sounding. The autoformers I would think. I expected a nice neutral sound with the little Mc but I am surprised at how well it drives the bass. I'd love a second one to run in mono but I have no budget and instead I's saving for a modest Mc pre.
 
I haven't heard a 2125, but it's part of the same generation as the 2205 which I own. Should be similar sound, and a fine amp.
 
I just sold a 2125 that I had owned for approx 28 years. In all that time, the only thing I ever had to do to it was replace a cap in January of this year. It is a great looking amp and performs well. The only reason I sold it was I got a great deal on a 2102. I ran a set of low efficiency Mac speakers for a lot of years with the 2125 and it had ample power. I recently got Klipsch RF 7s and the 2125 sounded marvelous. I highly recommend the 2125 (and so does the tech that serviced my amp!).
 
My MC 2255 is the gem of my system since I bought it new in '84. Had it gone over by a Mac tech last year and I can't imagine needing a better amp than this one.
 
Well I got them... They have better bass than the DNA 1 but the highs and mids are a little better on the DNA... Now I need to find out what caps to change or mods to do???
 
Ok, what is it about big blue mcintosh dials that's so sexy? I don't understand how Mc has the whole sexy stereo gear thing dialed in like no one else. Other gear sounds good...like Marantz....but no one has the same looks to go with the sound.
 
...and McIntosh has barely (bear-ley, get it) changed their looks in decades. Why hasn't anyone stole their styling like they do with everyone elses.
And, Bear, not to tell you want to do, and I'm sorry if it sounds like it. But you could wit on the mods to see if after a while the Mc's might be right and the other amp had too much on the high end. After that, maybe move the speakers around or something first.
 
The cans on those have been replaced. I agree with Holst that the issue may well be elsewhere. I have one too and there are no HF issues at all. :)

Carl
 
Now that you point it out, you are right. Those are not the original caps, the orginals are silver.
 
Interesting, I've never seen plastic wrapped cans as originals on the older pieces. Learn something new everyday.

Carl
 
Thanks for the info! I just got done replacing the power plug in the back as it was broking a dangling around in inside. I also replaced a metter light and cleaned the switches, as one of them would have just a little scratching sound when you moved it.


See anything from the photos that would be easy to upgrade?
 
Back
Top Bottom