• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Thoughts regarding a McIntosh 2125 amp

The power output board is similar to the one on my 2205. I changed all the 'lytic caps on mine along with some of the poly/ceramic caps. The green caps are Nichicon bp, gold ones are Nichicon FG and the 2 little black caps on the left are Black Gate PK .47uf.

Murray
 
I just took the pic this afternoon - have a long ways to go getting it back togehter. Maybe another month or so. Right now the chassis is bare with just the wiring harness back in.

Anyways, nice looking MC-2125's!

Murray
 
They should be in fine condition, the only ones I have had to change are the first generation GE's in amps like the MC250, 2100, and 2300. The Mepco filter tends to hold up to a lot of extended use, especially since the voltage is not very high.
 
dewickt said:
They should be in fine condition, the only ones I have had to change are the first generation GE's in amps like the MC250, 2100, and 2300. The Mepco filter tends to hold up to a lot of extended use, especially since the voltage is not very high.

Great news and thank you for your help Terry...
 
Bear-HiFi
Nice stuff!! What kind of speakers are you driving with them? Are you running them as monoblocks? Have you tried powering your system with one as a stereo amp? I have a pair of MC250's and a pair of MC754's and find I actually prefer them as stereo amps. I think they sound more musical that way.
Regrdz
Bill
 
Bill Allan said:
Bear-HiFi
Nice stuff!! What kind of speakers are you driving with them? Are you running them as monoblocks? Have you tried powering your system with one as a stereo amp? I have a pair of MC250's and a pair of MC754's and find I actually prefer them as stereo amps. I think they sound more musical that way.
Regrdz
Bill

Hello Bill, yes I am using them as monoblocks and I am running a pair of Eminent Technology LFT 8s @ 85db I think. I have not tried one as a stereo but I think I will tonight. :-)
 
Man, its tempting to get a high power McSS to drive some Platinum Audio Solo's...:-)


solo.jpg
 
Bill Allan said:
Bear-HiFi
Nice stuff!! What kind of speakers are you driving with them? Are you running them as monoblocks? Have you tried powering your system with one as a stereo amp? I have a pair of MC250's and a pair of MC754's and find I actually prefer them as stereo amps. I think they sound more musical that way.
Regrdz
Bill

I hooked just one up in stereo and the bass was cut in half... I am thinking about bi amping and try running just 14ga wire to the woofers from one amp and my 89259 calbes to the mid/highs from other amp?

What are the pros on cons from monoblocking vs biamping and would it make a diff?
 
Last edited:
bear-
I've always been keen on biamping. The very best way to biamp is through a crossover (like a Bryston) that limits the frequency range that is fed to an amp. This reduces the complexity of the signal that the amp sees hence the complexity of the job it has to do. It also reduces the complexity and magnitude of the back EMF that it has to control (although this is not such a big issue with Autoformer equipped amps). I've not heard anything that was biamped without a crossover so my assumption is that would not be as effective but I'm sure it would still work well. Ron-C mentioned in another post that monoblocking tends to raise the distortion levels. This corresponds well with my experience. You would have to weigh that against the benefits of increased horsepower! I'd be interested in hearing your response to biamping!
Regrdz
Bill
 
Well at this point I would have to say that I like biamping better... The highs sound a little better this way. I dont know why but they do... :scratch2:
 
I am pasive bi amping my LS360's with a 602 for bass and a 252 for mid/highs. Ron-C told me that I did not need to use an external crossover. Right now it sounds incredible.
I believe that if you use an exterbnal corssover you have to dsconnect the internal one on the speakers and I do not think that is easy to do.
My five cents...
 
As always Ron-C is quite right. Its not necessary to use an external crossover before the amps but it will improve things even further. If you are using an external crossover then using the internal ones is really not necessary. It is redundant but you can leave them in place. In your case all you have to do to bi-amp is remove the jumper straps on your LS360's and hook up the amps. Each amp still has to deal with the full signal spectrum and the speakers internal crossover sorts out everything else. If each amp has a less complicated signal to reproduce it will do a better job. The most straightforward way to bi-amp is to do it the way you have.
I must admit I am a bit jealous...your system must sound amazing! The 360's are great speakers.
Regrdz
Bill
 
MC 2125 used in a bi-amp system

I don't think MC-2125 has enough punch for current high dynamic recordings, but it still sounds pretty good.
Infact I actually had been using one MC-2125 as a treble-amplifier in my main system, until I recently changed pre-amp and treble-amplifier.
Anyway, my old configuration was Linn Genki cd player, MR-78 tuner, MX-130 tuner-preamp, MC-7150 used as a bass-amp, MC-2125 as a treble-amp. In the picture you can see an old C-27, disconnected, while the small external electronic cross-over (an italian CABRE AS-45) is not visible, 'cause behind the MX-130.
The speakers, glorious unforgettable JBL 4333A Studio Monitor, already provide double connections for biamplification through external cross-over.
Biamplification much improved dynamic in my system, but setting is not easy!!
Marco (Milan - Italy)
 
Yes, I couldn't find the original ones, so I decided to design a suitable solution, big JBL systems work better lifted 8 inches -or more- from floor.

Do you like them?
 
They look fantastic. That is exactly what I've been looking to get for my Klipsch Forte's, but anything "custom" winds up with an outrageous price tag.

You've done it the right way though ... I see so often people putting speakers like that straight on the floor, which ruins the bass and presentation. Well done, Marco.
 
Back
Top Bottom