• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Three-way active crossovers....anyone use one?

The three way AMT 1B sounds so much better than the stock two way there really is very little comparison. I will post the way I go, sealed midrange or ported midrange, and I will post pictures & DSP/crossover setting in another thread when I'm finished.


I'm still working things out. I'm only doing crossover adjustments for one speaker at the moment and when I have it perfect I will duplicate the settings for the other speaker. I have built a box for the midrange that is sealed and one that is ported so that I can accurately compare the two.

I'm using the untouched speaker as a reference point for comparison.
 
The DCX 2496 is better, it has a dead silent noise floor, adjustable gain, adjustable crossover slopes as well as phase control, time delay, dynamic range control, parametric equalizer with adjustable Q.

I am running a pair of ESS AMT 1B speakers as three ways with the addition of a pair of Emenance Alpha 6's as midrange drivers.

The purchase of a DCX 2496 has turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made in this audio hobby.

My ESS Franken speakers are now giant killers that could stand their own against pretty much anything.


Thanks for the input. :thumbsup: Gonna try and follow up on your lead.

Q
 
Beat me to the punch...was gonna ask the same, hoping some of the tech-types would chime in an compare/contrast the two methods of sorting out the frequencies.

Got a passive x over that I think is getting pretty tired due to being rode hard and some times put away wet.

Have heard that both systems have their pros/cons. I like the dealing in, and can also appreciate the inherent danger in doing so.

Good choice of thread!:thumbsup:

Q

If you mean the DCX2496 vs the Driverack Pro, I happen to have both, and the Driverack sits idle. The only "pros" for the driverack are the the ease of setting it up with your phone or any tablet and the software. The DCX just sounds better - more "alive" and transparent, with identical settings. I bought eight cables long enough to make listening adjustments with the DCX on the coffee table so I could make adjustments while listening. Not as slick as using a tablet and wifi, but just as effective, and not even necessary if you don't mind getting a little exercise when you make your tweaks. I admit the interface is dated on the DCX, it's been around for a very long time after all.


Is that set up for 24 dB/8ve (LR4)? If so that is a good choice for the price once you are sure about your crossover points, but it took me over a year of tweaking to get everything where I want it with my DCX. Every room has a some serious resonances and the DCX is great for taming them.

The DCX 2496 is better, it has a dead silent noise floor, adjustable gain, adjustable crossover slopes as well as phase control, time delay, dynamic range control, parametric equalizer with adjustable Q.

I am running a pair of ESS AMT 1B speakers as three ways with the addition of a pair of Emenance Alpha 6's as midrange drivers.

The purchase of a DCX 2496 has turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made in this audio hobby.

My ESS Franken speakers are now giant killers that could stand their own against pretty much anything.

I built something similar a while back using a B&W 801 mid driver/cabinet and a simpler electronic crossover. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-anglo-american-frankenspeaker.472389/ It sounded excellent and looked hilarious, like a 1950's robot.I completely agree about the DCX being a great purchase decision. If you like playing around with your own designs it's a must have IMO.
 
Last edited:
Always thought this was interesting. I would have thought that the DSP values would easily translate from one unit to another. According to the attached, it's not that easy.
 

Attachments

Okay, I'm looking at this active crossover: BEHRINGER SUPER-X PRO CX3400. There is no place for banana clips, and instead have some sort of three-contact plugs. Probably common enough to musicians, but I haven't used them. How are trad speaker cables adapted to this three-prong connection. Please forgive the dumb question....but I'm pretty new to this DIY stuff.

The CX3400 uses XLR connectors for all input and output. There is no need to accommodate banana plugs because they are for speaker level connections. The CX3400 can't directly drive speakers. You need a power amp(s) for that.

Typically a preamp connects to the input (2 XLR connectors) of the CX3400. For a three way system you will need three stereo power amps all connected to the output XLR connectors on the CX3400.

With XLR connectors if you see three pins it's always an output. Inputs are always female connectors. XLR cables typically have a male connector on one end a female on the other.
 
Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread ....but what the heck. I use a Xilica 4080 at the present time for 3 way active set up with subs(so 4 way basically). I am wondering if anyone has used the Peavey VSX 48e? It looks to be a Xilica clone or least almost.
 
Back
Top Bottom