• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TimeFrame 2000's Unlikely 2500 Mile Journey from CA to GA

Well... where to start. Being that I have limited minutes here and there over the next couple of weeks, I have to do little things.

In the factory, the headliner material was laid over the baffle and the holes cut out before the drivers were installed. In my case, I am not going to attempt to remove working drivers because of Black Death. I have decide instead to build a template to cut the headliner so it can be installed without having to perturb the drivers. Took a couple of tries but here are the results.

View media item 6349View media item 6350View media item 6351View media item 6352
Should work fine. Also, I can use this to make a negative pattern to protect the drivers as I spray the adhesive.
 
Last edited:
May the Force be with you all ... Great story. I had a chance at some TF-1000's in Hilton Head Is. a couple of years back and didn't bite. I already had the TF-600's and Timewindows (and now some TF-250's) and couldn't quite justify them. I've been curious ever since.

I'll be watchin'!

You'll have to drop by for a listen. Savannah isn't that far away.
 
What a great example of AudioKARMA!!! Reverb, very happy for you, a bit envious, but very happy. Enjoy!!
Don't be too envious.... my back is going to pay the price. These things are not light! :whip:

What an awesome story! This is what makes AK great. Can't wait to see those rare TF-2000s restored to original condition. Once you get them up and running, please share your impressions of how these compare to some of the smaller (but still large) TFs like the 600s and 700s. Cheers to all involved from another proud member of the DCM cult!

I am a proud member of Cult DCM as well. I have TF 400's, 600's, 700's, also TW originals and TW^2. Hard to give a complete assessment so far, but my guess is these are going to blow them all away. The sound stage is very expansive!

This thread restored my faith in humanity.

I share your sentiments about my good fortune.
 
Just started laughing thinking about the fun in store for you working on the crossovers:D:D:D!

I am quite sure you will handle them in spades. I remember recently recapping and rewiring a pair of TW3's:eek2: I think it was 3am when I bolted the caps and bases back on. Should have walked away about midnight but stubborn out ranked smarts. Well worth the newly invented obscenities!
 
I hear ya DK. Sometimes we just don't know when to walk away.

I am guessing that these will be a walk in the park compared to the TimeWindow^2 I did a few months back. Steve E. pulled out all of the stops on those guys. 2 speakers with a total of 4 crossovers! Jeeze-Louise. Hard-Core to say the least.

Like the TW^2, the 2000's are 3-ways so I'm guessing they will be pretty impressive too - Steve's claim to fame was the crossover "magic". I should get a peek in the next few days. Then it will be time to order some parts.

I'm going to go out on a very shaky limb (knowing DCM the way I do) and order the parts - assuming speaker 2 has the same components as speaker 1.

I would rather examine them both before placing an order but, like the Klipsch Chorus II's, they are too big to work on at the same time! I have to get one done and out of the way before i can start on the other one. Dang... I need more space.

I did find the headliner material that will work and there is a 50% off coupon good this weekend. Bingo. Picked up some 3M Super 77 adhesive along with some 2-part epoxy wood filler tonight. Getting me ducks in a line :thumbsup:
 
Dang. If you're low on time and can only get to Little Things, you're doing it right. Carry on my good sir!

Biggles
 
Couldn't wait to get a look inside - I need to order parts. So here is the crossover. Not nearly as exotic as I had expected... certainly not as complex as the TimeWindow^2. Appears to have a 3-stage time delay circuit.

View media item 6362
I have 5 electrolytics to replace - all of them pretty easy to get to. Not going to mess with the mylar caps, inductors or resistors. Everything sounds good and they rarely go bad. I don't event think I will attempt to take the crossover out. It is glued to the bottom of the base and they are not easy to pry loose. What we have is:

3 - 200uf, 50v
1 - 100uf, 100v
1 - 47uf, 100v

Easy-Peasy.

There is also some sort of pot mounted to the bottom with the adjustment knob accessible from the base (if you know what to look for. My guess is this was some type of fine-tuning knob used by the factory once everything was buttoned-up. Likely not intended for the end-user to be putzing around with it. I marked the location where it was set from DCM. I do intend on experimenting with the setting once they are back together. Just curious and I can always go back to the DCM preset.
 
Last edited:
Here is an overview of the Transmission Line construction and the driver compliment
DSC_3271 by -reverb- posted Feb 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM
DSC_3269 by -reverb- posted Feb 23, 2016 at 8:09 PM

Drivers listed from Top to Bottom, they are:

8" Carbonneau 719 622, 22044, 4 ohm woofer (nothing across the terminals)

5.5" Carbonneau 719 626 22594, 5 ohm Midrange (25 ohm, 10%, 5w resistor across the terminals)

3.5" Vifa H25TG-07 Tweeter (nothing across the terminals)

5.5" Carbonneau 719 626 22594, 5 ohm Midrange (25 ohm, 10%, 5w resistor across the terminals)

8" Carbonneau 719 622, 22044, 4 ohm woofer (15 ohm, 10%, 10w resistor across the terminals)

The 2 woofers are wired In Series - as are the 2 midranges.


View media item 6370
View media item 6371
View media item 6375
View media item 6373
View media item 6369
 
Last edited:
I was just thinking about getting some 2000`s and I actually live in Ga!:(

Looks like I missed the boat this time around. However I am pleased to see you are giving them a good onceover.

I shall live vicariously through your posts then, so keep those pictures coming:beerchug:
 
Hey man,

If possible, would you be willing to pull a few of the resistors out of the circuit and test them? I've been doing the same in the last 2 crossovers I've done and they've been off. They've been off far enough for me to replace them, especially given how inexpensive they are.

Biggles
 
Wow! A you were as well I was expecting another journey into Steve E's time delayed circuity maddness!

That's a walk. Good for you! As you well know the TW's were like recapping a alien space ship in a very small space.
 
Last edited:
Wow! A you were I as well was expecting another journey into Steve E's time delayed circuity maddness!

That's a walk. Good for you! As you well know the TW's were like recapping a alien space ship in a very small space.

Yeah, me too. I figured they would be packed with time delay. I think the TW^2 had 8 stages.

Lots of room to work too. Should be much easier.... that is at least until Biggles got me thinking about drifted resistors. Oh well, better safe than sorry - I don't want to open these things up again.
 
Last edited:
Hey man,

If possible, would you be willing to pull a few of the resistors out of the circuit and test them? I've been doing the same in the last 2 crossovers I've done and they've been off. They've been off far enough for me to replace them, especially given how inexpensive they are.

Biggles

Reality Check.... yeah, it's probably short-money to do a spot check at least. Here is the resistor makeup in each cabinet:

7.5 ohm 10%, 10w (3 of them)
15 ohm 5%, 5w
100 ohm 10%, 5w
2.6 ohm 10%, 5 w
47 ohm 5%, 5w
15 ohm 10%, 10w
1.8 ohm 10%, 5w

On the drivers there is also

25 ohm 10%, 5w (2 of them)
15 ohm 10%, 10w

I just checked PE and that's less than $20 in parts to do both speakers. Will probably go ahead and order all of them that I may need just in case.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Biggles.
 
I was just thinking about getting some 2000`s and I actually live in Ga!:(

Looks like I missed the boat this time around. However I am pleased to see you are giving them a good onceover.

I shall live vicariously through your posts then, so keep those pictures coming:beerchug:

Will do Gazdatronik. What part of GA are you in?
 
I just checked PE and that's less than $20 in parts to do both speakers. Will probably go ahead and order all of them that I may need just in case.

Thanks for the words of wisdom Biggles.

Yay. More parts, right? Sorry about that. But for this project pally boy, it deserves the very best. Besides, do you really want to go back into these things 14 months from now? No sir!

If I missed it, I apologize. But what specifically, or which out of your collection of amps/receivers will be powering these little dears?

Biggles
 
Not sure what I will use for power. Lots of choice. So far I have run them with a crappy garage Pioneer with ~60 watts a channel. They seem quite efficient, which was a bit of a surprise.

Likely they will reside in the den (biggest room in the house) where the Yamaha MX-1000 lives. It pushes 285 watts a side so that should get them moving. The other interesting pairing would be the Scott 299B or the Dynaco mono blocks. I bet they would sound fantastic with the Scott but it would probably run out of steam before it got to the desired SPL. The Dynaco's are another story - 50 solid watts a side of pure tube goodness.

I am really excited to get them going. What little I have hear from them was amazing. Very dynamic and effortless.
 
Hey Reverb,

While I never did get to hear them, my impression was that they were going to be on the efficient side. Which means as far as power goes, it'll probably all come down to flavor. What a great few days that's going to be, eh? Wow, Dynaco mono blocks. I'm all drooly!

Biggles
 
Back
Top Bottom