• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TimeFrame 2000's Unlikely 2500 Mile Journey from CA to GA

Hey Reverb,

While I never did get to hear them, my impression was that they were going to be on the efficient side. Which means as far as power goes, it'll probably all come down to flavor. What a great few days that's going to be, eh? Wow, Dynaco mono blocks. I'm all drooly!

Biggles

Did I never tell you about the Dynaco's? I got them from two separate members in BT. I am geographically close enough to AK Tube Legend and all around Genius Dave Gillespie for him to do a 100% rebuild. I dare say they are far superior than when they were first assembled - Dave's work is without peer. They each push a solid 50 watts - and they will do it all day long without breaking a sweat. They should sound really sweet with the TF2000's!
 
Right next to Chattanooga

The 'Nooga!

I get up that way every once in a while - got a really good friend up in the Dalton/Tunnel Hill area. Also use to take a Troop of Boy Scouts up there to cave in Raccoon Mountain.

I like it up there. For folks who have never visited Northern Georgia, they are missing out.
 
Last edited:
The 'Nooga!

I get up that way every once in a while - got a really good friend up in the Dalton/Tunnel Hill area. Also use to take a Troop of Boy Scouts up there to cave in Raccoon Mountain.

I like it up there. For folks who have never visited Northern Georgia, they are missing out.

It is a beautiful place, so very scenic, and still quiet. But not a whole lotta vintage gear.
I just came from another thread where somebody got my other wanted speakers, some Altec 19's for $300.
I need to slam my head in a door so I can learn to pay more attention..
 
It is a beautiful place, so very scenic, and still quiet. But not a whole lotta vintage gear.
I just came from another thread where somebody got my other wanted speakers, some Altec 19's for $300.
I need to slam my head in a door so I can learn to pay more attention..

Im in Chatt youre right about the lack of good vintage gear here...slim pickens
 
Did I never tell you about the Dynaco's? I got them from two separate members in BT. I am geographically close enough to AK Tube Legend and all around Genius Dave Gillespie for him to do a 100% rebuild. I dare say they are far superior than when they were first assembled - Dave's work is without peer. They each push a solid 50 watts - and they will do it all day long without breaking a sweat. They should sound really sweet with the TF2000's!

ShuhWing! It shouldn't be too terribly long before your amp hopping. I can hardly wait to here the results. 50 watts of tube power is exceptional, especially with that kind of quality action behind it. Hooyah!

Biggles
 
I managed to get a couple of things done tonight. The main goal was to strip the sock off #2. This involves removing the back board, removing the feet, removing both end-caps and rolling the sock off. Sound simple but with an 80+lb speaker sitting on it's head and wanting to fall over, it's not really. Managed to get it done though and now I have a sock to use as a template.

View media item 6391
View media item 6392

There she is... all naked.

View media item 6395

Looks like the tweeter took a punch to the nose at some point. The diffraction screen is bent in pretty good. Tweet is OK though.

View media item 6394
View media item 6393


On #1, I have been coating the wood seams with wood glue to make sure the joints are as tight and strong as they can be. May be a waste of time, I'm not sure but it's cheap enough. The cardboard is to guard against anything stupid I may do like drop a wrench or something through a cone. Hey, it's happened before!

View media item 6396

I am planning on placing an order for caps and resistors tomorrow. Think I am going to try Mundorf E-Caps. Any thoughts on this ? The last batch of electrolytics I got from PE tested good when I got them about 6 moths ago, and I had some left over. I was going to use them and tested them yesterday. They are WAY out of range now (47uf read over 100uf). Meter was checked and is fine. Not sure what's going on with them.
 
Last edited:
I hope they are finished by the next time I am in town so I can hear them. Have you sold the other speaker yet?
 
Hey man,

They're electrolytics, that's what's wrong with them. Hardee har har. I agree on the nicer caps for these, they deserve the fancy action. And? I love your cardboard over the drivers. Man, that would have saved a few drivers from me over the years. Such a maroon.

Biggles
 
Reverb, creepin your pics. wonder mutt is impressing glossy brindle :)
What year bug do you have? How do you like your QB's. I'm a fan, love what they do to the top half of the freq range.
 
Last edited:
Hey DK. Amazing what you can gather from a couple of pics huh?

Murray is a 1.5 year old rescue Dane. He wandered-up to a friend of mines house one afternoon at about 5 months of age. When found, he had on a nice collar and we hoped he was micro-chipped. Unfortunately he wasn't and searches to find the owners were in vain. We are pretty sure he is a full-blooded but have no way to verify this. My friend couldn't keep him so we decided our lives were too boring and in the mix with our two Dachshunds he came. Amazing how well they get along together despite the size difference. He's 37" tall at the shoulders and ~135 lbs.

The bug is a 1970. It belongs to my 19-yr old and was given to him by his grandfather (my dad). He also gave a restored bug to my sister's son who is the same age. He had them both completely restored and presented to them on their 16th birthday. It just sits for now - my son is afraid to drive it, worried something may happen to it. My nephew has torn his all to hell several times now so maybe my son is the wiser of the two?

The Qb's have a soft spot in my heart. Those were the first Infinitys I ever owned (not that ACTUAL pair, but Qb's in general). I think they do just about everything well and don't have to go to exotic measured to get the job done - just a simple 3-way with a modest crossover. It will tip my hat to the exceptional EMIT however. Why they got away from making those is beyond me. IMHO, one of the best tweeters ever made.
 
Last edited:
Hey man,

They're electrolytics, that's what's wrong with them. Hardee har har. I agree on the nicer caps for these, they deserve the fancy action. And? I love your cardboard over the drivers. Man, that would have saved a few drivers from me over the years. Such a maroon.

Biggles

Yeah, I think a little better quality is deserved on these. They should be here towards the end of the week.

Got the headliner material this weekend - had a 50% off coupon at the fabric store so only cost me about $30 for 4.5 yards. Working on refinishing the oak caps now too. They are looking pretty good. I'll try to get a beauty shot up soon.
 
Left AK for a while with some major health issues and just came back. These look so familiar to me...

Hey Roy!!!!

Glad to see you back and hope the health issues are in the rear-view mirror!

Wanted to give you the proper credit and thanks for making all of this possible. With your generosity, and of course Biggles efforts & Tetris-like packing skills, these rare gems will be given the care and feeding they need to sing again. I gave them a preliminary once-over and a little work on the connector jacks and could not believe how fantastic they sounded - and that was in a garage with very limited placement opportunities. I'm sure they will sound wonderfulful restored and in a proper listening environment. It's going to be a long process though - I can only really work on one of them at a time because of their sheer size, but we will get there.

My sincere thanks again!

Jay
 
Left AK for a while with some major health issues and just came back. These look so familiar to me...

Roy!

Good to see you back in any capacity. I hope you're looking at your major health issues in the rear view mirror. All is going well here and over there. Thank you again for the treasures you gave me and to Reverb!

Biggles
 
Jay, they're looking great my friend! I'm excited to see they're getting the proper attention they deserve. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your thread.

Biggles, good to see you too! It was a whirlwind since I saw you last. My health is definitely improving, so I can give time to other fun things again.
 
Jay, they're looking great my friend! I'm excited to see they're getting the proper attention they deserve. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on your thread.

Biggles, good to see you too! It was a whirlwind since I saw you last. My health is definitely improving, so I can give time to other fun things again.

Yes, whirlwind describes what's been going on over here as well. Time to get to it!

Biggles
 
Back
Top Bottom