• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TimeFrame 2000's Unlikely 2500 Mile Journey from CA to GA

Well, they are both wrapped like Christmas presents (pics tomorrow).

Working on DCM gear is kinda like making pancakes - the first one never turns out that well.

The biggest problem I had was where the rear portion wrapped around and merged with the front baffle. On the first seam, I coated the inside of the frame and the foam with Super 77. After it tacked-up, I rolled the foam around the front and pressed it into place. The problem was the Supper 77 on the foam smeared onto the front baffle foam. Not much but enough to make a bit of a mess.

On the next seam, I put a piece of blue tape across the top of the foam about 1/8 inch so Super 77 did not get on that area. When I folded things, perfect!

Still waiting on crossover parts and need to sew the sock. Getting there, however :thumbsup:
 
Reverb,This is one great story of a love of a product and willing to try anything to get it and then restore the speakers. As a owner of re socked and and re foamed TF 350s I can only imagine what TF 2000s sound like. Around here most said that the 600s were the sweet spot of the line. I had a lead on a set in south Jersey and turned it over to my friend who hassled to drive from the Pocano Mts to Jersey to get those 600s and told me they were keepers sounded great and needed nothing cosmetically. . Good luck on the project...
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3733[1].jpg
    IMG_3733[1].jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 28
Thanks TomReceiver. It's been a lot of fun rebuilding these. Also made a couple of really good friends along the way.

Many cite the 600's as the best in the DCM TimeFrame line. I am an outlier on the question though - I prefer the 700's with the Vifa tweeter as opposed to the mylar tweeters in the 600's. Don't get me wrong, the 600's sound fantastic - I have 400's, 600's and 700's and can't seem to part with any of them!

I think the 2000's are going to trump them all however. The only downside is the sheer size of them. Luckily I have a very understanding Wife.
 
Thanks TomReceiver for the link to this thread. Another wonderful audio story. I'm Toms buddy from the Poconos. I love my 600's and will most likely never give them up.
Reverb thanks for all the posts and the hard work.

Best wishes on you restoration project.
P-man
 
Awesome thread! As a fellow DCM fan I'm hoping that we can all use your work as a reference for years to come!

Also, please find a pair of TF-1000s when you're done because I'd like to hear how they compare.
 
Many cite the 600's as the best in the DCM TimeFrame line. I am an outlier on the question though - I prefer the 700's with the Vifa tweeter as opposed to the mylar tweeters in the 600's. Don't get me wrong, the 600's sound fantastic - I have 400's, 600's and 700's and can't seem to part with any of them! I think the 2000's are going to trump them all however.

I have to agree here. While I am quiet sure the 2k's will easily trump them all, I actually preferred the 350's and their Vifa tweeters over the 600's. Their was a give and take for sure sound stage, dynamics of the 600's but back to the wall I preferred the detail and accuracy of the 350's. Owned them both.
 
Awesome thread! As a fellow DCM fan I'm hoping that we can all use your work as a reference for years to come!

Also, please find a pair of TF-1000s when you're done because I'd like to hear how they compare.

Haha... yeah I have been looking for 1000's for years. Never thought I would have a snowball's chance in hell for 2000's!
 
I have to agree here. While I am quiet sure the 2k's will easily trump them all, I actually preferred the 350's and their Vifa tweeters over the 600's. Their was a give and take for sure sound stage, dynamics of the 600's but back to the wall I preferred the detail and accuracy of the 350's. Owned them both.

I think the 350's are 2-ways, right?? Something to be said for simple, well-designed 2-way. Advent and KLH sure made quite a few nice ones.

OK, now 350's are on my list. Thanks DK :cool: :biggrin:
 
Box of goodies arrived from our friends to the North today. All but the 400's are Mundorf RAW E-Caps. Had a bit of time before bed so I began to prep. The caps in the crossover are:

2 - 200uf in parallel
1 - 200uf
1 - 100uf
1 - 47uf

For the 2 - 200uf in parallel I got 1 400uf.
For the 200uf, I am placing 2 - 100uf in parallel (they didn't stock a 200uf)
For the 100uf, using a 100uf
For the 47uf, I am using a 47uf but I am also placing a 1uf poly bypass cap on it (the 47 is the only one in the signal path)

Here they are all prepped. May get a chance to start crossover work tomorrow.


View media item 6555
View media item 6556
 
Thanks TomReceiver for the link to this thread. Another wonderful audio story. I'm Toms buddy from the Poconos. I love my 600's and will most likely never give them up.
Reverb thanks for all the posts and the hard work.

Best wishes on you restoration project.
P-man

Hey P-Man. Glad to have you along for the ride. I have enjoyed every DCM speaker I have ever heard - some more than others, but all so far have made me smile to some degree. I have often wondered, with such a strong product, what went wrong in the business evolution of DCM? Was it marketing, distribution, ..... ?????
 
MmmMmM, those new caps are giving me the chivers.

Biggles

I know... one step closer, right?

I figure a few hours and I should have the crossovers done. btw: spot checked quite a few resistors. One was WAY WAY WAY off - uh oh. Then I re-read the part number - I thought it was a 47 and it was a .47. Old eyes. Continued the checks and the ones I looked at were all in spec. I am leaving them alone.

My son and family are in the process of moving out of our house right now. We hauled stuff all day yesterday and are almost finished. They will likely have the last of their things out today or tomorrow. Once that happens, the sewing machine will be accessible again! I can then try my hand at sewing a sock. As mentioned, the fabric I have now may not work too well. I'll just have to give it a shot and see.
 
Hey,

I suppose you'll find out whether the fabric is a go or not quite soon then, awesome. I've been busy here too, not much fun time.

Great news on the resistors! Check good, move on.

Biggles
 
:eek: I take a little break from AK and look what happens! Congrats on the major scroe Reverb. And big kudos to you Biggs for the assist.

Great job on the restoration. :thumbsup: The crossover is interesting. Seems these are actually 3.5 ways since there is some extra crossover attached to the terminals of one of the woofers. Most likely that's to help smooth out the frequency response.

That tweeter looks bizarre too. I thought DCM used the Vifa tweeters in these, but the ones in those pics certainly look original. I've never seen one like it.
 
Hey, Hey Doctor!

Glad to see you around again. Been far too long.

The tweets are Vifa's (H25TG-07) but they are unlike any I have seen before. They do sound quite nice btw.
 
Thanks. Interesting info on the tweeters. I'm wondering if it's so they can handle more power to match the other 4 drivers in each cab.
 
Son/Family moved out..... Hmmmm.

Room for me to pack the wife, TW3's find a sitter and head to your place for a week of DCM goodness;)
 
Crossover are done! Gave them both a signal and all drivers are functional.

They aren't real pretty - but they weren't very pretty to begin with!

View media item 6560
View media item 6561

The capacitance values in the old electrolytics matched pretty well to their stated values. Here is what my meter showed:

Stated Read
200 == 223
200 == 202
200 == 228
200 == 226
200 == 195
200 == 190
100 == 108
100 == 107
47 == 51
47 == 50

The 200uf caps are all labeled "AC TSI-8008"
The others are marked "marcap" Japan

View media item 6562
View media item 6563

Socks and final assembly yet to go. We may have tunes by the weekend!
 
Son/Family moved out..... Hmmmm.

Room for me to pack the wife, TW3's find a sitter and head to your place for a week of DCM goodness;)

Come on down (or up, not sure where you're at). The beer is cold and the weather is nice. Was bright and sunny today with a temp of 78.
 
Back
Top Bottom