• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Toasters

soundmotor

super modified
What do you use to toast your bread?

Mine is a Sunbeam T-35 "Radiant Control". It was my mother's and it made toast for me when I was little. My sister is 12 years older than me and it made toast for her when she was little too. My mom bought it in the early 1950's and it toasts perfectly when dialed in to the bread. It was sized to machine-cut slices so fresh baked bread can sometimes be tough to cut thin enough if you try to cut them too soon. That is the only defect this toaster has. I picked up a back-up but I don't expect I'll ever need to use it.

At 50+ years old, Sunbeam built an icon.

t35.jpg


(not mine but identical)
 
Register to hide this ad
Love those old toasters! I've got one from Grandma, about the same vintage. Perfect, delicious toast every time!
 
Duralit commercial 6-slice toaster. Cost on these today is around US$600, a lot for a toaster, but I got mine used/surplus for fifty bucks and restored it (cleaned and polished it) by hand. Solid, heavy metal construction, the kind of thing that lasts for decades/a lifetime. Somewhat similar to yours in appearance; just a nice, solid, classic design.

Ironic, though, that I'm gluten intolerant and can't eat any bread made from wheat, and only rarely make gluten-free bread, since bread isn't a particularly good food for humans, anyway, and I'm lazy! :D Especially ironic since I have no need for six slices at once... but I haven't found a two-slice model at such a bargain price, and it's hard to go from the quality of any of these vintage machines to a typical new one, and hard to pay the new price for one of that quality!
 
This was my favorite for a few years until the damn thing stopped working several months ago. No idea why- the heating elements aren't broken, and there isn't anything else that I could figure could go wrong. Now, it's just gathering dust.
 

Attachments

  • CIMG1410.JPG
    CIMG1410.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 43
This was my favorite for a few years until the damn thing stopped working several months ago. No idea why- the heating elements aren't broken, and there isn't anything else that I could figure could go wrong. Now, it's just gathering dust.
Shorted cord? Got a multimeter? Seems a shame to let that one sit.
 
I use some model of new white plastic Sunbeam toaster.

It was cheap, and it's not cool-looking chrome, but it does one helluva job making near perfect, uniformly toasted bread.
 
Shorted cord? Got a multimeter? Seems a shame to let that one sit.

Could be, Nate. Never checked it until just now, because it LOOKS fine- one side of it seems to have no continuity. Now, of course, finding a replacement will turn into an exercise in futility, no doubt.
 
I have an Oster that is made to look like an old toaster. But it is not, in fact, an old toaster. I'm not a big fan of it. Seems to burn one side while leaving the other side barely toasted, no matter how I set it. Bagels fit in it, though, which I like, as I toast more bagels than bread.
 
You guys that have working Sunbeam toasters are lucky. We've got a Sunbeam from Wal-Mart and it's a real POS. Never consistent, and it takes forever. Pure junk.
I don't replace it because others in the family think it's just fine. Sheesh.

Tom
 
I have a two-slice chrome Toastmaster that I've drug around since the mid-seventies.
Makes perfect toast and pops those slices out like it's starring in Wrigley's Field.
 
Ha, that pic of the woman with the torch reminds me of the movie "Benny And Joon", where they're making grilled cheese sandwiches on an ironing board with the iron set to 'Rayon".
 
My wife got rid of our toaster and got a toaster oven instead. Takes more energy and 4 times the time. Not sure why she did it. :scratch2:

However, I am thinking I want to get myself a toaster any way. Maybe put it in the Mancave next to the mini fridge. Then I never have to come out.
 
Back
Top Bottom