• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Toasters

I currently have 2 x 1952-54 era Sunbeam T20-B automatic toasters in my toaster arsenal. No switches to mess with, other than the darkness/timer setting. The toast is cautiously ejected when finished. Other than replacing the power cables, cleaning and calibrating each toaster (took about 10 slices of bread per calibration), these have been trusty and reliable units. The quality of the toast produced by these units is pretty darn good too. :)

The best toaster I ever owned was a Kenmore from the late 1950s / early 1960's. It had red bakelite (or catalin) handles/hardware (though it was missing one knob). It made toast which was crispy on the outside, and chewy in the middle in less than 1 minute. I sold it on eBay to a collector who needed it more than I did.

cheers,
Glen
 
Last edited:
I currently have 2 x 1952-54 era Sunbeam T20-B automatic toasters in my toaster arsenal.

Had to check up on the T-20 variant. Apparently it is the original version of this style toaster and differs little from my T-35. The main thing is cosmetic, the T-20 has the side decorative embossing whereas the T-35 does not.
 
skillet toast is the way to go

I moved to the Boston area in 1980. My first job was painting out interiors for a housing trust & each day promptly at 10 the job supervisor & carpenter would collect me and we hit Friendly's for break. All the waitresses in there were 'sports'' and much ass-pinching & lap-sitting would be going on. People still smoked in there too. Coming from California, I felt like I was in a movie as I'd never experienced anything like it. Toast & English muffins were done on the grill and after getting over the initial shock of "fried", I started looking forward to them. I'd guess that grill & skillet are close equivalents?
 
Until I got married again, I just use a coat hanger bent to sit on a burner and holad the bread.. My wife talked a friend into getting us a toaster for our wedding.. No idea why.. the coat hanger worked pretty good so long as you kept an eye on it..
 
Back
Top Bottom