• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Today's classical playlist

Wagner:

Siegfried

Siegfried: Ludwig Suthaus
Wanderer: Ferdinand Frantz
Mime: Julius Patzak
Alberich: Alois Pernerstorfer
Fafner: Josef Greindl
Woodbird: Rita Streich
Brünnhilde: Martha Mödl
Erda: Margarete Klose

Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma della RAI
Wilhelm Furtwängler

Recorded by Radio Audizioni Italiane (RAI) 10, 13 & 17 November 1953 (plus possible material edited in from ealier rehearsals during this period), Auditorio del Foro Italico, Roma

EMI CDs (part of a set including the complete "Der Ring des Nibelungen")

61a6%2BHqr0mL._SS400_.jpg
 
Schubert
4 Impromptus, Op.90, D.899
4 Impromptus, Op.142, D.935
Mitsuko Ushida, piano
Philips, 1997
 
Schönberg:

Wind Quintet (flute, oboe, clarinet, horn and bassoon), Op. 26

New York Woodwind Quintet

Naxos CD (also included are the Chamber Symphony No. 2, Op. 38 and Die gluckliche Hand, Op. 18)

This is one of my favorite compositions by Schoenberg and one of the most beautiful 12-tone compositions I am familiar with. The recording and performance are superb!

51ZiKHD8ZlL._SS500_.jpg
 
516iuvOER9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg


Hilary Hahn - 'Brahms / Stravinsky: Violin Concertos'

Part of an experiment in cheap listening, in which I'm building an alternate collection of music based only on what I can find in used/thrifts or dirt cheap online. This was at the high end of what I'm willing to pay - $3.99.

s.
 
Mozart Arias
Vesselina Kasarova, mezzo-soprano
Staatskapelle Dresden
Sir Colin Davis
RCA Victor Red Seal, 1997
 
Schönberg:

Wind Quintet (flute, oboe, clarinet, horn and bassoon), Op. 26

New York Woodwind Quintet

Naxos CD (also included are the Chamber Symphony No. 2, Op. 38 and Die gluckliche Hand, Op. 18)

This is one of my favorite compositions by Schoenberg and one of the most beautiful 12-tone compositions I am familiar with. The recording and performance are superb!

It's been on my Amazon list for a long time, maybe I should bump it up. I haven't really noticed many versions of that piece in my admittedly brief time as a classical music collector.

Hilary Hahn - 'Brahms / Stravinsky: Violin Concertos'

Part of an experiment in cheap listening, in which I'm building an alternate collection of music based only on what I can find in used/thrifts or dirt cheap online. This was at the high end of what I'm willing to pay - $3.99.

s.

In that case I would say Naxos is your friend, for one thing. :D Right now is a good time for such an experiment, with so many people ditching their CDs.
 
Albrechtsberger--Concerto for trombone and orchestra
Heiki Kalaus (trombone)
Estonian National Symphony Orchestra
Peeter Lilje

Ray
 
Some fairly new arrivals playing this morning...

Stockhausen
Gruppen, Punkte

Peter Eötvös: conductor
WDR Sinfonieorchester Koeln

2006 Budapest Music Center

rsz_p4025637.jpg


rsz_p4025642.jpg


rsz_p4025640.jpg



...
 
And this is the best of them so far:

Morton Feldman
For Samuel Beckett

Kammerensemble Neue Musik Berlin
Roland Kluttig

1999 CPO
Germany
DDD

If you are at all a fan of minimalism, I highly recommend this one.

rsz_p4025643.jpg



...
 
Right now is a good time for such an experiment, with so many people ditching their CDs.

Exactly what motivates me. My belief is that even in my tiny town, I can build an interesting - if gapped - library of albums I want to listen to, for little $$$. But I have to get rid of the idea of going deep on a particular artist, and have to buy only because I want to hear the music in front of me, and not to plug holes in the collection. Also, trust luck.

s.
 
I look forward to seeing in this thread how it all pans out! These days I hunt down very specific things, and that certainly isn't the cheapest way to go about it.
 
Hindemith
Hindemith Conducts Hindemith: The Complete Recordings On Deutsche Grammophon

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
Paul Hindemith

2004 DG
AAD
3CD box set

rsz_p4025650.jpg



...
 
================================================================================

SibeliusSymphonyno2Ashkenazy.jpg


================================================================================

Sibelius, Jean (1865-1957)
Vladimir Ashkenazy
Philharmonia Orchestra
Symphonies, no. 2, op. 43, D major
Symphony no. 2 in D major, op. 43
London LDR5 10014 [1980]
1 Cassette tape

================================================================================
 
Mozart:

Symphony no 21 in A major, K 134
Symphony no 22 in C major, K 162
Symphony no 23 in D major, K 181 (162b)
Symphony no 24 in B flat major, K 182 (173dA)
Symphony no 25 in G minor, K 183 (173dB)
Symphony no 26 in E flat major, K 184 (161a)
Symphony no 27 in G major, K 199 (161b)
Symphony no 28 in C major, K 200 (189k)
Symphony no 29 in A major, K 201 (186a)

Concertgebouworkest
Josef Krips

Philips CDs (part of a 6 CD set entitled "Mozart: Symphonies 21 - 41 / Krips, Concertgebouw Orchestra")

Delightful music and performances! No 25 (the little G minor symphony, known from the film Amadeus) and No 29 are among my favorite symphonies composed by WAM. The playing of the Concertgebouw musicians is beyond belief!
 
Last edited:
Schoenberg & Sibelius
Violin Concertos

Hilary Hahn
Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra
Esa-Pekka Salonen

2008 Deutsche Grammophon

I find the Schoenberg on this oddly comforting.

rsz_p1144885.jpg



...
 
...
No 25 (the little G minor symphony, known from the film Amadeus) and No 29 are among my favorite symphonies composed by WAM...

Sym. No.25 is unquestionably my favorite symphony by WAM. After this, it's a rotating list depending on my mood.

How coincidental you mentioned the film Amadeus! My date and I were going to watch that with dinner last evening, but the disk was not in the sleeve, and we ended up watching The Red Violin instead. The signature music of the film is by John Corigliano, and to me, evokes (some) Paganini, in that it places an emphasis on virtuosity, rather than depth of emotion. To be fair, it was composed for a film score, rather than as a concert piece. It is played by Joshua Bell, though not on camera.
 
Gilbert & Sullivan--The Mikado
New Symphony Orchestra of London
Isidore Godfrey
London 4 track 7.5 IPS

Can't say I've ever been a fan of G&S, but, for less than a fiver, and with outstanding fidelity, I'd sure like a to find a few more. :yes: This is the original 1957 Stereo version.

Ray
 

Attachments

  • KGrHqZHJEIE88cr5F8BPSq6J5tw60_12.JPG
    KGrHqZHJEIE88cr5F8BPSq6J5tw60_12.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 4
Back
Top Bottom