vinyl1
Super Member
One question from someone genuinely curious:
How come the Chieftans haven't been mentioned?
While I like music from the isles, I have yet to enjoy most of the acts mentioned here, so please take it from that perspective.
Are the C's too commercial? Or just taken for granted as being great? I could see that many could think of them as fulfilling the clichees on many tunes (drinking, carousing...) but...well, you tell me..:scratch2:
For your approval, a singer (Scottish-born, later living in Aus.): Eric Bogle.
He wrote "The Green Fields of France", also "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda".
To this day I cannot get through 'Fields of France' without crying, much the same with 'Matilda'.
C.
Well,that's kind of how it is with the Chieftans. They are the older generation, and they are 'folky' rather than folk. Think of serious young college boys in 1964, wearing matching sweaters and singing folk songs that they learned off Folkways LPs. Well, not that bad, but you get the idea. At least they are skilled instrumentalists
As for Bogle, there is a fabulous version of "Waltzing Matilda" sung by June Tabor on 'Airs and Graces'. She also does 'No Man's Land' and 'Flowers of the Forest' on 'Ashes and Diamonds'. They are both great albums, maybe you should try them. Nic Jones plays fiddle on some tracks on both LPs.