• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Today's JAZZ playlist

Recently acquired a TEAC X-300. I just listened to the Brubeck tape from this little pile of reels I just picked up. Not familiar with it or it's legendary predecessor. I like it a lot and oh boy does this tape sound amazing!

Reels-8-15.jpg

TEAC-X-300.jpg
 
Irene Reid Room For One More.jpeg

Color me embarrassed for not knowing who Irene Reid was as a singer.
I inherited a slew of records from a friend and amongst them was this gem. What a great voice.
Checkout the backing musicians:

It sounds a little “60s” but in that way good.
 

  • Reeds: Coleman Hawkins (tenor sax), Russell Procope, and Hilton Jefferson (alto saxes/clarinets).
  • Trumpets: Henry "Red" Allen, Bobby Stark, and Russell Smith.
  • Trombones: Dickie Wells and Claude Jones.
  • Rhythm Section: Horace Henderson or Fletcher Henderson (piano), Bernard Addison (guitar), John Kirby (double bass), and Walter Johnson (drums),



Recorded on August 18, 1933, and originally released as Vocalion 2583-A.
 

​

Miles Davis With Gil Evans Orchestra​

Miles Davis, trumpet, flugelhorn; Gil Evans, arranger, conductor; John Coles, Bernie Glow, Louis Mucci, Ernie Royal, trumpet; Joseph Bennett, Jimmy Cleveland, Dick Hixon, Frank Rehak, trombone; Willie Ruff, Gunther Schuller, Julius B. Watkins, French horn; John ("Bill") Barber, tuba; Phil Bodner, Romeo Penque, flute; Julian Adderly, Danny Banks, sax; Paul Chambers, bass; Philly Joe Jones, drums.
Columbia 30th Street Studio, NYC, August 18, 1958
 
We returned from Oregon yesterday. I had hopes of plundering some record stores, but that failed to materialize. I had to settle for one store that wasn't quite what I wanted. Used records sprinkled in amongst mostly budget reissues. Oh well. We did have a great time with our daughter & son, so all was not lost.


1787102670810.png1787102688759.png
 
We returned from Oregon yesterday. I had hopes of plundering some record stores, but that failed to materialize. I had to settle for one store that wasn't quite what I wanted. Used records sprinkled in amongst mostly budget reissues. Oh well. We did have a great time with our daughter & son, so all was not lost.


View attachment 3820999View attachment 3821001


I was wondering where you might be as I haven't seen you post here in a short while... until now of course. I'm glad you had a nice trip to Oregon.
 
Back
Top Bottom