• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Today's JAZZ playlist

Dexter Gordon: Sophisticated Giant

Recorded in 1977 and unveiling a great 11 piece big band. This album features: Dexter, Woody Shaw (Trumpet), Slide Hampton (Trombone), Bobby Hutcherson (Vibes), George Cables (Piano), Rufus Reid (Bass), Victor Lewis (Drums) and others.

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Dexter.jpg
    Dexter.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 49
Homecoming ~ Dexter Gordon Live at the Village Vanguard

Columbia

DexterGordonHomecoming.jpg


Woody Shaw (trumpet, flugelhorn); Ronnie Matthews (piano); Stafford James (bass); Louis Hayes (drums).
 
PC,layin' down the knowledge once again! Yeah,Side One is a copy of the Sam Price LP,Side One-Side Two has the Bobby Freedman Group-who I know nothing about. I couldn't find much info on the lp-The Premier Albums/Spinorama Discography didn't even have it listed. Maybe you know about them too?

No sorry, I don't know about the Freedman side. I have a constant eye out for Jazztone LPs and have collected quite a few, including that Sammy Price. If you like hearing Jonah Jones in that setting, there's a great reissue that captures alot of his pre-Capitol cuts. It's on the Spanish 'Fresh Sounds' label - called JJ Special. It has 3 albums from the Swing, Vogue and Bethlehem labels. Great value with that one and easy to find.

I would also keep an eye out for an Affinity LP, it's a split 12" with Pete Brown on the B-side - called Harlem Jump And Swing. That has two Bethlehem 10"s on it, if I recall correctly. The Pete Brown stuff is awesome too, maybe even preferrable to the Jonah tunes. This isn't as easy to come by, but is usually fairly priced. Affinity was a British reissue label which dealt in vinyl.

This would be an affordable way to grab up some great Jonah Jones sides, without having to spend tons on super rare original vinyl.

Happy hunting...

1.jpg
057276.jpg
 
Oh man... I am havin such a great day. System just sounds perfect, as do all of these awesome sides.

The Australian Jazz Quartet - S/T
The Australian Jazz Quartet/Quintet
Jay McShann - The Last Of The Blue Devils
Basie 6 - Kansas City
Billy Strayhorn Septet - Cue For Saxophone

attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSC05343.JPG
    DSC05343.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC05342.JPG
    DSC05342.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC05333.JPG
    DSC05333.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC05334.JPG
    DSC05334.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC05344.jpg
    DSC05344.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 38
Back
Top Bottom