• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Today's JAZZ playlist

712S-iw4zjL.jpg

Big Bands -- CD


KGrHqUOKiUE5hKZ6MP3BOdsqznVQ_1.jpg

On The Road -- CD

Two greats for sure. I don't have much Artie Shaw for some reason. I'll need to fix that. I believe I saw a used copy of On The Road at the record store yesterday. I plan on going again today and will pick that up if it's still available.

The "On The Road" disc is really a fun listen. If you get a chance to pick one up, I recommend it. I also recommend the "Artie Shaw" disc. I really like the "Time/Life" series of music. I've got a few different sets I'm working on filling in the missing ones. The "Artie Shaw" disc is my first one of "this" series, but hopefully not my last. :thmbsp:


Dennie
 
712S-iw4zjL.jpg

Big Bands -- CD




The "On The Road" disc is really a fun listen. If you get a chance to pick one up, I recommend it. I also recommend the "Artie Shaw" disc. I really like the "Time/Life" series of music. I've got a few different sets I'm working on filling in the missing ones. The "Artie Shaw" disc is my first one of "this" series, but hopefully not my last. :thmbsp:


Dennie

No luck with finding the Louis Armstrong "On The Road" at the record store today. Looked for the Artie Shaw too, but no dice. I plan on picking these up and others in the Time/life series when I get a chance.
 
pb242002.jpg


SHADES OF JADE
Marc Johnson – double bass
Joe Lovano – tenor saxophone
John Scofield – guitar
Eliane Elias – piano
Joey Baron – drums
Alain Mallet – organ

ECM
 
Charlie Barnet Volume 1 on RCA Victor Vintage Series
Mono copy with the purple RCA Victor label.
 

Attachments

  • C.Barnet_vol.1.jpg
    C.Barnet_vol.1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 3
Illinois Jacquet -- Flip Phillips
The Battle of the Saxes

The American Recording Society, 195?

No pic, as the LP is in a generic plastic sleeve. Best find of the day. Excellent stuff.

This is not a "battle" in the sense that these two tough tenors stand toe to toe and slug it out. Rather, The American Recording Society has put together cuts from sessions Illinois Jacquet and Flip Phillips cut during the 1950s for one of Norman Granz's labels, either with their own groups or part of another's. Their failure to appear together does not mean that there isn't some serious blowing competition here. Jacquet and Roy Eldridge go at it fast and furious on "Achtung" and Jacquet goes head to head with Harry "Sweets" Edison on "Sophia." In a mellower vein and much more in the spirit of collaboration rather than competition are Jacquet and Eldridge on "Las Vegas Blues." Similarly, Phillips takes on then-modern trombone player Bill Harris on "Funky Blues" and with Charlie Shavers on "Blues for Midgets." In a more relaxed vein, he joins with the Oscar Peterson Quartet, featuring Buddy Rich on drums, on "Lemon Aid." In addition to these top players, the sessions are loaded with prime jazz artists of the time, including Ben Webster, Hank Jones, Jimmy Jones, Herb Ellis, and Billy Bauer. Some of the Phillips cuts have been reissued as part of Mosaic's The Complete Verve/Clef Charlie Ventura & Flip Phillips Studio Sessions. Similarly, some of the Jacquet material, especially that made with Webster, can be found on a Verve compilation. If you can find either or both sets, gobble them up quickly. This is prime stuff.
-- allmusic.com

Edit: My brain just O.D.'d on endorphins. Incredible sessions. Justifies owning a turntabe (or four). ;)

A shot of the label.

1353810624678.jpg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom