• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Todays subwoofers find

Jeez all of a sudden it seems to be raining speakers in my house. I'm going to pick up a pair of mint Bozak concert grands in a few minutes and this afternoon I'm bringing home a pair of RS mach 1's. Looks like a busy day once again.
Bozak CGs? Brian, I hate you!

Dave
 
Jeez all of a sudden it seems to be raining speakers in my house. I'm going to pick up a pair of mint Bozak concert grands in a few minutes and this afternoon I'm bringing home a pair of RS mach 1's. Looks like a busy day once again.

If I had a pair of CGs coming in, I wouldn't have given the Mach 1s a second thought.
 
I'd carefully remove the old JBL's and try to find their true value. Then, I'd go out and find the best sub that fits my needs. Just me of course, but there are some great used subs on the market. Or perhaps, load the cabs up with your own amps and woofers. What you going to do?:smoke:
 
Yes I have no intention of using those ancient Jim Lansings. I hooked them up to verify they work and that's been it. The cabs aren't staying either as they're much too big for any of my rooms. Until they leave though they're making for a very nice stand for my big Sui:banana:.
 

Attachments

  • sui 002.jpg
    sui 002.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 38
Mach 1s from New Haven CL?
You beat me for those....

Vlad, serlously if you want them give me a shout and you can have them for the same Andrew Jackson they were listed for. I had made the deal with the owner the day before the CG deal arrived so I was committed. I'd love to start the new year sending out a bit of karma especially after all that I've received the past few days:banana:
 
Holy crap. Those are early, pre-JBL, pre-Altec lawsuit drivers. Helluva scroe, there.

Can you guys explain part to me? I know that Western Electric 755's eventually became ALTEC 755's (and that sort of thing), and I know the Shearer horn story and some of the early Lansing resume, but I forgot the '50's and '60's JBL minutia.

I wonder how those would do with my W90's. :D

I think I'm gonna' go with a more-modern subwoofer with those. They go down to about 40hz, and I need a sub that can handle the 20hz-40hz region. They really don't need one, but I want to give that FULL full-range thing a try. I imagine those Polk SDA's motorstereo has are full-on full-range like that.
 
Brian:

Where's the pic of the CGs?

Dave

Ok; here you go Dave.I just got those monsters set into place and semi level. Back is still aching from wrestling with speakers that weigh more than I do but damn it's so worth it.:music: I'm admittedly not a fan of speakers this dated but I may have to change my way of thinking now.
 

Attachments

  • cg's 001.jpg
    cg's 001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 53
  • cg's 002.jpg
    cg's 002.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 52
There is a guy on the Lansing Heritage site named Steve Schell who knows as much about drivers of this era as anyone living.

I would post the pictures of the driver over there and see what you can find out. The chances are those have very real value.

It's not a busy site and may take a day or two for him to see it.

All the best,
Barry.
 
Those CG's are large! My wife thought my Model 19's were big. How do they sound? I've read that people love them.:yes: Nice grab!:banana:
 
There is a guy on the Lansing Heritage site named Steve Schell who knows as much about drivers of this era as anyone living.

I would post the pictures of the driver over there and see what you can find out. The chances are those have very real value.

It's not a busy site and may take a day or two for him to see it.

All the best,
Barry.

Thanks for that info. I signed up yesterday but I'm not able to post yet. So far my efforts to find out anything about them haven't turned up a thing. It's like they were never made. Lots of info on the 4C but the B seems likes the red headed step child that no one wants to talk about. Hopefully Mr. Schell will know something about them.
 
Those CG's are large! My wife thought my Model 19's were big. How do they sound? I've read that people love them.:yes: Nice grab!:banana:

Yes they are bigger than the 19's in some ways. They're not as deep but they're wider and taller. They're the biggest speakers that I've ever owned and most miserable I've ever moved as well.
How do they sound........well they won't be sending my polks to a new home. At sane listening levels I think they sound wonderful in the rotten little room they're in. Just shy of half volume on my 200 wpc sui receiver they tend to get a bit shouty but I guess that's to be expected in a small room with overpowering speakers. I was also surprised that engaging the loudness button gives them a bit too much bass. They seem to sound their best running flat which is fine by me.
 
Dave; there's 8 aluminum cone tweets on each side. I see model b-200y and 759 on the 2 extras that I have. There's 2 mids per side and they're also aluminum and I'm guessing they're 5''. Can't see any model numbers on the mids. I see there was lots of variations on the CG's and you could order the driver compliment that you desired from I've been able to find out.
 
I do like that cabinet style much better than the Moorish that you typically see. What are the dimensions of those behemoths?

Dave
 
They might be a bit finicky like my 19's were. It took about five different receivers before I found one that was a good match. It was an old Sherwood S7100 series. While my Fisher 400 was an added improvement, it wasn't as great a difference as one might think.
 
I do like that cabinet style much better than the Moorish that you typically see. What are the dimensions of those behemoths?

Dave

Surprisingly they have great waf for such monsters as my wife really likes them. 52" high, 36" wide and 17" deep and I'm guessing at least 200lbs.
 
They might be a bit finicky like my 19's were. It took about five different receivers before I found one that was a good match. It was an old Sherwood S7100 series. While my Fisher 400 was an added improvement, it wasn't as great a difference as one might think.

I haven't tried anything on them yet but the 971 but I've heard that they match up well with vintage Mac gear. Just what I need during my winter layoff an excuse to bring home some more Mac.
 
Back
Top Bottom