• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Todays subwoofers find

Wow the CGs look new. I too like the contemporary cabinet style. Great find. I should be so lucky.

cubdog
 
Those CGs are beauties!

Can you guys explain part to me? I know that Western Electric 755's eventually became ALTEC 755's (and that sort of thing), and I know the Shearer horn story and some of the early Lansing resume, but I forgot the '50's and '60's JBL minutia.

Basically, Jim Lansing was a great engineer but a lousy businessman, but he was also the type that didn't like working for anyone else. He started a company, it got into trouble, and was bought out by Altec. He worked for them for exactly the period specified in the sales contract, left, and started a new Lansing company. This one (which became JBL) was also floundering until he committed suicide: the payment from his life insurance stabilized the company under his former business partner. Sometime in the early to mid 50s, Altec Lansing decided that they didn't like another company using part of their corporate name to compete with them, so they politely threatened to sue unless it was changed. Management decided to keep the corporate name, but change the branding to JBL. Any driver with the "Jim Lansing Signature" decal dates to before the transition to JBL, which seems to have been around 1955, maybe a bit earlier.
 
Thanks for the history lesson Sam. I had no idea about the "lawsuit" or Mr. Lansing's suicide. Pretty interesting stuff here.
 
Thanks for the history lesson Sam. I had no idea about the "lawsuit" or Mr. Lansing's suicide. Pretty interesting stuff here.

I had read that story, but I forgot a few details. Thanks to him for posting that.

And truly-sweet CG's there... I prefer that style cab as well... A SERIOUS speaker when in it's comfort zone. :yes:

I think 200lbs is a very-conservative estimate. I can't remember exactly, but I think each one is like the weight of two W90's (The Symphony is more-akin to the size of the W90, albeit taller and not as wide).

I think the driver compliment is four 12's, two 6" mids, and eight of those aluminum cone-tweeters.
 
Last edited:
I had read that story, but I forgot a few details. Thanks to him for posting that.

And truly-sweet CG's there... I prefer that style cab as well... A SERIOUS speaker when in it's comfort zone. :yes:

I think 200lbs is a very-conservative estimate. I can't remember exactly, but I think each one is like the weight of two W90's (The Symphony is more-akin to the size of the W90, albeit taller and not as wide).

I think the driver compliment is four 12's, two 6" mids, and eight of those aluminum cone-tweeters.

You could very well be right on the weight of those cabs. They're stupid stupid heavy and just sliding one a few inches is a major hassle.
Yes from what I understand there were multiple driver arrangements that could be had. I've seen pics of them with 4 12's per side to. The 2 12's seem to do a good job though. The bass doesn't go as deep as my little ML1's beside them but there's a lot more of it. You could also order curved tweeter arrays to. My pair are mirror imaged.
 
Back
Top Bottom