• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top 10 Class A SS amps

RobertVL

Active Member
I tried out the new Accuphase A36 today , compared it to Accuphase P500 , Goldmund Mimesis SR Mono amps , McIntosh MC150 and I preferred the A36
I already own some class A tube amps but this was my first fling with Accuphase Class A
It will be used to power the KEF LS50
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm a fan of Class A amps. I've liked all the Nelson Pass designed ones I've heard and "some" of the Krells, especially the older ones. Heard an Accuphase A50 many years ago that really impressed me, couldn't believe it was only 50 wpc.

Class A is no guarantee of great sound. I've heard a few that were sorely missing in the musicality department.

You didn't mention your budget and it helps to know the size of your room and how loud you like to play your music.
 
Not sure if you are asking a question or just posting a description of your recent activities...but I thought I would mention one of the most musical solid state amps I've ever heard - the British Fidelity (aka Musical Fidelity) A100 from the late 1980's. It's a 50 watt Class A integrated amp, with an exceptionally good sound and an exceptionally good phono section. Unfortunately, the built-in fans are just about irreplaceable, and most have failed by now. Musical Fidelity offers a "rebuild" of these amps, at a mere $750....plus shipping to/from England!!! Fortunately, mine is still in good working condition....I recapped the power section several years ago, and did some tweaking of the fans. It doesn't get as much use nowadays, but from 1987 until 2005 it was the centerpiece of my main system.
 
Top Class A amp of all times: Technics SE-A1.

Important: this amp really *is* a Class A amp, unlike many others that have a clever system to reduce crossover distortion such as "New Class A" or "Class AA". The A1 features a Class A main output stage which gets fed by a Class B amp, the latter also being connected to the audio input. This ensures that high power is only available to the Class A output stage when it is needed. This entire principle is called Class A+ and was used in altered versions also in powerhouses like the Pioneer Exclusive M5.
 
I'm a fan of Class A amps. I've liked all the Nelson Pass designed ones I've heard and "some" of the Krells, especially the older ones. Heard an Accuphase A50 many years ago that really impressed me, couldn't believe it was only 50 wpc.You didn't mention your budget and it helps to know the size of your room and how loud you like to play your music.

My main room is 8x10 , I like to listen quietly
I have read so much about SS class a and it's problems , but never had a chance to listen
I am thinking that Pass designs, Krell 50 watt , Threshold 400 but never seen reviews where they compare a whole bunch of class a amps together
The Accuphase was listed as only 30 watts but it had alot more power and very concerned that other brands of class A are underpowered
And my favorite speaker is 83.5db , that is why I am thinking about an Elac 312
But havent heard both together.......yet
 
An AKer called Beemer had a pair of Mark Levinson (real Mark Levinson) high power class A monoblocks -- big rascals; I don't recall the exact model. They were/are superb.
 
for the commoners with less scratch to spend I ran HK citation 16a's,dual power supplys,hi current and excellent performers fo many yrs,I also owned soundcraftsmen ma 5002 class h amps.Both excellent sounding amps that can drive any speaker
Hunter
 
I'll take McIntosh over any of the above long term.
Keep dreaming. McIntosh may have a special look (I personally dislike that too though), but sound terrible. Putting output transformers in a solid state amp proves that this company either is technically lightyears behind or else hoaxes their customers and pretends their solid state amps to sound "tube-like". Might well be, but this means that they are sounded and not linear. Bad stuff. Oh and yeah, sue me now because I told my own opinion about that US cr… eh, stuff.:D
 
Your lack of understanding of the purpose for their use of output transformers (actually, autoformers) certainly proves something...specifically, that your head is stuck somewhere in your nether-regions.

And I'm not a fan of McIntosh gear. I wish I could think of some Swiss audio equipment to generalize about, but I'm drawing a blank. Good banks...although not very selective about their customers!
 
Last edited:
I'm a fan of Class A amps. I've liked all the Nelson Pass designed ones I've heard and "some" of the Krells, especially the older ones.


Is a Krell KSA-150 old enough ? :D

I have a fully refurbished one in my main system... Have not used it much lately because it is like a heater!

It has a 'sound' my others amps don't. More clean & crisp
 
Has the OP considered Yamaha M-40 to M85 series? These are very special amplifiers. I can vouch for the M-40 and even though it is only 10 Watts in class A, that is plenty for most listening. It is a very musical amp that also has tons of current! It makes most speakers just shine! I have a friend with the M-80 and he feels the same about his.

Check out this link for specs.

http://legendaryamps.com/latest.html
 
Your lack of understanding of the purpose for their use of output transformers (actually, autoformers) certainly proves something
Output transformers (call it "autoformers" or whatever, this is just a stupid brand name for a simple thing) have had two reasons for existence:
  • To alter the high voltage, low current output signal from a tube amp and produce a higher current signal that can actually drive lower impedance speakers
  • To filter out DC voltage coming from a single-rail supply amplifier stage
Tube audio equipment may also need output transformers to date, but this technology dates back to the 40s anyway. Within transistor stages, however, you can perfectly eliminate DC voltage by using a symmetrical power supply layout (± Voltages). Everything else is, as said, marketing.


I won't go into the childish insults. This just is not my level of humanity.
 
Has the OP considered Yamaha M-40 to M85 series? These are very special amplifiers. I can vouch for the M-40 and even though it is only 10 Watts in class A, that is plenty for most listening. It is a very musical amp that also has tons of current! It makes most speakers just shine! I have a friend with the M-80 and he feels the same about his.

The M80 was never sold in Japan
 
Is a Krell KSA-150 old enough ? :D

I have a fully refurbished one in my main system... Have not used it much lately because it is like a heater!

It has a 'sound' my others amps don't. More clean & crisp

I'd say it's the "perfect" age! :D

I had the slightly larger brother of your 150, the KSA-250, for 7 years and think it was not only one of the best Krells but one of the best ss amps I've ever heard...and yes, they do put out a lot of heat. If anything, I think your 150 may have even a little sweeter sound than the "big lug".

edit: PM sent
 
Last edited:
Actually McIntosh amplifiers employing autoformers have a split rail power supply. The rail voltages are much lower than traditional amps of the same output power. The output transistors are optimized to drive 1 ohm coil.
 
My main room is 8x10 , I like to listen quietly

^^^You are doing your ears and budget a favor due to that.^^^

Still no mention of budget so it's tough to make a suggestion. 80,000 will get you a nice new set of Pass's newest monos. At the other end, a used Bedini could be had for around 1000.

For the money, the Bedini is a good value. I like their smaller ones that run pure class A like their 25/25 or 45/45 (numbers equalling watts). I have the 45/45 that I have kept as a backup for my Pass XA.5's. Sounds very similar to the Pass with a bonus of not running so hot.

Tip: if buying used and old, make sure you spend wisely. The cheap can come out expensive if you have to rebuild/repair one of these to meet spec.
 
IMO Class A is currently more about marketing than reality.
Class A requires the circuit design be capable and competently designed... usually a Very simple circuit. Likely a major contributor to the legend
Also the power supply is able/adequate, Massive :-), also the Heat sinking.
Beyond that, Moderne designs "well designed'' can equal venerable class ones for sounds.
Class A is No longer an iron guarantee of superior result

Regardless unless DIYing a Pass design or derivative.
I'd be avoiding aged pieces as Years of running at SOA limits.. takes a toll.
 
Back
Top Bottom