• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top 10 Class A SS amps

Still no mention of budget so it's tough to make a suggestion. 80,000 will get you a nice new set of Pass's newest monos. At the other end, a used Bedini could be had for around 1000.

For the money, the Bedini is a good value. I like their smaller ones that run pure class A like their 25/25 or 45/45 (numbers equalling watts). I have the 45/45 that I have kept as a backup for my Pass XA.5's. Sounds very similar to the Pass with a bonus of not running so hot.

Tip: if buying used and old, make sure you spend wisely. The cheap can come out expensive if you have to rebuild/repair one of these to meet spec.

Unfortunately Bedini wasnt sold in Japan either
The XA.5 are a possibility , how about the XA30.5 or is it underpowered
There's a pair of XA60.5 for sale at $6000 but my budget is roughly $2000
There's a Threshold 400a that has 9 condensers and 4 ic's replaced at $1200
There is a Pass Aleph0s at $1500 but no maintenance
There is a Krell KSA50 in auction($700+) but it would need a full overhaul

For a 83.5db speaker what would be the recommended power of a Class A amp?
 
A couple of comments and questions...

First, what is the relevance of having been available in Japan? Am I the only one missing it? I've read thru the thread several times, but must be overlooking something?

Second...I briefly owned a Bedini 45/45 as a possible replacement for the Musical Fidelity A100. It was a very clean sounding amp, and appeared to be very well built, but ultimately I stayed with the A100. Can't remember what I used as a preamp for the Bedini.

Third, I think the OP would be hard-pressed to find an A-100 in good condition. Class A operation really takes a toll on components (heat stress), and as I noted it has two cooling fans; these had a tendency to fail after 10-15 years.

My A100 was around for so long that it became almost like a member of the family...my kids grew up with it. While still serving in one of my workshop systems, it rarely gets any use...but for sentimental reasons I've actually been giving thought to having it rebuilt by the manufacturer and then put back into regular use in my office system. It really does have a beautiful, effortless sound....with plenty of detail and resolution but without the clinical characteristics that some high-end amps seem to have.
 
Ahh...now I get it. Arigatou.

Please tell me that you just added your location to your profile....I can't believe that I missed it earlier.
 
If you like Accuphase A-36 you should look for something similar not a totaly diffrent amplifier with the only thing in common being that both are class A designs.
 
If you like Accuphase A-36 you should look for something similar not a totaly diffrent amplifier with the only thing in common being that both are class A designs.

I'm still not sure if the OP is wanting suggestions as regards great sounding Class A, solid state amps (as the thread title might imply), or is wanting advice on finding something more specific. If the latter, I certainly agree with your advice...that is, to focus on finding something with similar sonic characterstics, regardless of whether Class A or AB (or other).
 
Back
Top Bottom