• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Top three best consumer and prosumer reel to reels in your vision, designwise

If I'll ever find a bargain x-2000r, I'll definitely get and keep it :) but only if it's ridiculously cheap, otherwise I'll rather spend my money on a A7300 (it looks better than the atr-700 imo... when I first heard about those two - atr-700 and a7300- I was simply fascinated by them)

I like these recorders which have their amps in a separate box.
Did you know that the sony TC-880-2 was supposed to have separate amps as well? But honestly, in my opinion, it would not have had the same impact... But still, that TC-880 is just... WOW... :)
 
Have you seen how they modified the Tascam BR-20 to mach audiophile requirements?



attachment.php




Very creative!
 
No offense, but :yuck::puke:

This is a little random, but in response to KentTeffeteller, I still find the Don'tkorder 1120 to be pretty attractive. I know the brand as a whole is about the worst of its class, but something about that attracts me to it. I want an 1120 and a 7500 so I can see for myself why they're so bad. For some reason some of the really junky machines have a certain appeal for me. Overall quality is not always the greatest factor in how much I like a machine. It goes the other way, too. The Technics 1500 is an excellent machine, but I don't like it. I have no reason to at all- it works well and sounds great. And yet I don't like it.
 
Studer A80 with changeable 2" 8 track, 2" 24 track and 1" stereo head assemblies made by Mr French at jlm magnetics.
I pay $250/hr to rent that machine in a studio.

I own an Otari MTR10 with a set of 1/4" full track and 1/2" full track head decks for the machine. It doesn't get used very often since digital recording and when I send off my tracks for mastering, they run them through the 1" tape drive.

yes we still use tape in the studio. as it recorded to tape then played through the playback heads into the digital recorder (because ADC's record transients too well and that tape compression helps alot). Since the endpoint is digital it is still a digital recording.
 
My favorites are by my personal experiences only:
Pioneer RT 909 and RT 707 tie. Solid, well built.
The Teac X-2000R. Drooled over one back in the day, but with 10" reels and over 100 dB signal to noise ratio with DBX Noise reduction, it's a stunner.
Revox B77. My friend had one. Really an impressive machine.
 
1.) PIONEER RT-909
2.) TEAC X-2000R
3.) TECHNICS RS-1500 US

In no particular order. I feel that in the spirit of the OP's request, those are 3 hi-end consumer machines that each offered up some creative, outside-the-box thinking/engineering (well perhaps the X-2000R was the least in that dept. - but made a real home run, sales-wise). The Pioneer RT-909 just breaks the mold when it comes to looks, while the Technics really does offer superb tape-handling characteristics due to the iso-loop transport.

O.k. - I'm done.
 
While it's very "industrial," I find the overall design of the Otari MX-5050 to be quite pleasing.

That said, there are some machines mentioned here like the Sony 880 and Technics RS-1800 that are simply beautiful.

Another brand I'd thrown in for consideration of design attractiveness are the Tandberg "joystick" machines and the later 9000 series.
 
How about the Phillips N4520...granted I happen to own one..but I find it to be one awesome looker and great sounding.....
 
Hmmmm...those Tascam BR-20's just scream "GHETTO" to me - too much gold and black laquer. Though I've read the sound is stunning :music:

I've always wanted an X-2000r with dbx, but I was never able to come across one. Pioneer 909, 707, Technics RS-1500, 1520, Akai GX747, and 77 - I have those all, but never had a Teac. But again, I'm super biased. Never having owned a Revox, or Sony, or Otari I can't make any direct comparisons to them - only between the ones I own. On looks alone I think the Technics take it -industrial, strong, menacing. Next would be the Akai GX747 - it looks like Darth Vader's reel to reel. The Pioneer 909 is really my least favorite looking deck - too shiny. I know that's the appeal, but unless you have the whole vintage system it will always look out of place...like fine silverware at a BBQ. :D

Anyway, here are some obligatory shots of my biased favorites:

Technics cousins. The RS-1506 and the RS-1520:



The Akai GX-747:



And last, the Pioneer 909:
 
Hmmmm...those Tascam BR-20's just scream "GHETTO" to me - too much gold and black laquer. I've always wanted an X-2000r with dbx, but I was never able to come across one.



The Pioneer 909 is really my least favorite looking deck - too shiny. I know that's the appeal, but unless you have the whole vintage system it will always look out of place...like fine silverware at a BBQ. :D

Anyway, here are some obligatory shots of my biased favorites:

Obviously that isn't a stock BR-20 -it is a baroque interpretation and mutation by J-Corder - normally it has the same appearance as the tan-faced TASCAM lineup. Rather attractive, IMO, in a clinical, laboratory kind of way!

As far as the Pioneer "silver" - yes that is what attracts to many (myself included) - I have mine rack-mounted underneath my RT-707 and it makes a stunning block of silver!
 
Last edited:
They all look pretty when they are playing, but the best part is how they SOUND.

4 decks, Technics RS-1500, Akai GX-625, Akai GX 635D, Teac X-1000 Black.
 
Things I like in recorders:

Reliability (after maintaining broadcast plants all day, the last thing I want to deal with is unreliable gear at home, unless it is so overwhelmingly good otherwise)
Sound Quality
Easy to find spare parts and support
Ease of servicing/alignment/maintenance

Looks is last. I favor ReVox B 77/PR 99 and Otari MX 5050 B II machines in half track, ReVox 1/4 track machines are also great. I like most A series Teac machines and the best of the Sony and Pioneers.
 
Great stuff people! Keep them coming, I know not too many people concentrate on the looks, but isn't this a very important factor after all? It might make you not go for a specific recorder, even if you know it sounds good :)

For me at least, the look is just as important as the sound, and the domains all have their own strong point, so as long as I stick to their use, everything should be fine (but there are exceptions, of course, other wise none of those fields would be connected, now would they?). In a professional or audiophile environment, things are quite gated, from both points of view :). Some might both look good and sound brilliant (but not all, usually they just look good... I'm talking about audiophile stuff) while others are built just for performance, safety and ease of use.

At a consumer level, in some cases you see those combined, and that's the beauty of it! Today, things are quite separated, but it all started from those times when quality used to matter, from all points of view. People used to care, even at a commercial level. And one of the biggest results is the well known tape!

Have you ever heard about any other medium that sounds like all others, as well as any other live source? I didn't, and I never will because there is no other :) And the way the whole concept evolved, and the way those recorders look like... I'm speech less. It's just the way it should be, just as easy as that. And we'll always spin them reels, I know we will.


IMO, It's not just about technical things or music, it's about life itself. It's easy to get blinded by those recorders, and only concentrate on one thing, simply because they actually are that complex, and they actually are compatible with everything we like. I see them like works of art, I'm looking at the whole thing, because through it, I see other people's passion. And above all, they record sound.
 
Akai GX-625


Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 625 that was the last reel to reel to come out of Akai's factory before they literally shut down the production? or the last development? I don't really remember

Visually, they changed many things, while still keeping it original. To me, it looks like it goes back in time a bit, then comes back stronger :D
 
I loved my X1000R, but I definitely lusted after the looks of the Akai and Technics units as they are just gorgeous. But at least at our Air Force Audio Club at Bitburg in 1981 the Teac was only $550 and I was able to sell my X10r and DBX and make a better than even swap to the X1000r. The other two were way beyond a lowly airman's salary!
 
The Technics was by far superior to the Akai. And also a common broadcast choice too. Many a radio station used them as well as jingle houses. And other than Otari, the best of the Japanese made recorders by far except for a rare few others not commonly found stateside. The Teac X 1000 R was far better than the X 2000 R in reliability. Do change the capstan belt every 2 years, clean the pulleys before belt change. Use regularly.
 
Back
Top Bottom