• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Toshiba SA7150 and Advent Loudspeakers Stacked

I just received my 4 Advent OLA’s
The person who sold them to me kept them in very good shape .
They both say Advent Loudspeaker on the rear nameplate , the red egg fried tweeter, and vinyl veneer, the only difference is when you take off the front cloth grill , one set has a black front , the other set has a wood tone color front .

The seller told me that the all the woofers have new foam inverted surrounds added. Which is really nice .

I was thinking of recapping all 4 speakers , but the sound is so clear and crisp . I hate to open the units , but I’m on the fence about recapping.
The switch in back of all the speakers give sound in all positions .

Does anyone have any light to shed of taking these units to the next level or just staying as is.

Your comments are appreciated,
Bernard
 
I just received my 4 Advent OLA’s
The person who sold them to me kept them in very good shape .
They both say Advent Loudspeaker on the rear nameplate , the red egg fried tweeter, and vinyl veneer, the only difference is when you take off the front cloth grill , one set has a black front , the other set has a wood tone color front .

The seller told me that the all the woofers have new foam inverted surrounds added. Which is really nice .

I was thinking of recapping all 4 speakers , but the sound is so clear and crisp . I hate to open the units , but I’m on the fence about recapping.
The switch in back of all the speakers give sound in all positions .

Does anyone have any light to shed of taking these units to the next level or just staying as is.

Your comments are appreciated,
Bernard
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0666.jpeg
    IMG_0666.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 8
The difference in the speaker board color is just due to Advent having more than one supplier for their cabinets.

If they sound good to you, I would just leave them alone (like I did with all of my 5 pairs) rather than chasing an unknown "improvement" I mean, I did remove the drivers, refoamed all the woofers, and inspected the interiors just out of principle, but I didn't recap them because the capacitors were all in spec.

Doug
 
Four of the pairs are dedicated to four stacks in my quad sy6stem and one pair is in the train room.

Doug
 
Wow , you have 4 pairs of Advents wired to one quad system . That must sound amazing …
Do you have each of your paired stack (per speaker output) in parallel or series?

I just have a conventional vintage receiver. I
Speaker A, 4-16 ohms
Speaker B, 4-16 ohms
Speaker C, 4-16 ohms
Speakers A+B 8-16 ohms
Speakers B+C 8-16 ohms
Speakers A+C 8-16 ohms

Given the nameplate impedance on the speakers state 8 ohms, the nominal impedance on the Advents OLA’s are typically and average around 6 ohms. Wiring them in parallel would give me an impedance of or around 3 ohms which would put too much current strain on my receiver amplifier. So I elected to wire them in series which is a higher impedance and lower wattage output, but at least I’m not straining my receiver .

But you brought up an interesting note;
You have your Advents on a quad system and not a conventional 2 channel system .

The person I purchase my Advents from also had his speakers wired to a vintage JVC quad system as well .

Are quad systems better to run Advent OLA’s stacked or will a conventional 2 channel system suffice ?

Just asking for my general knowledge. I don’t know very much about quad systems or their functionality.

Thank you kindly
Bernard
 
Wow , you have 4 pairs of Advents wired to one quad system . That must sound amazing …
Do you have each of your paired stack (per speaker output) in parallel or series?

I just have a conventional vintage receiver. I
Speaker A, 4-16 ohms
Speaker B, 4-16 ohms
Speaker C, 4-16 ohms
Speakers A+B 8-16 ohms
Speakers B+C 8-16 ohms
Speakers A+C 8-16 ohms

Given the nameplate impedance on the speakers state 8 ohms, the nominal impedance on the Advents OLA’s are typically and average around 6 ohms. Wiring them in parallel would give me an impedance of or around 3 ohms which would put too much current strain on my receiver amplifier. So I elected to wire them in series which is a higher impedance and lower wattage output, but at least I’m not straining my receiver .

But you brought up an interesting note;
You have your Advents on a quad system and not a conventional 2 channel system .

The person I purchase my Advents from also had his speakers wired to a vintage JVC quad system as well .

Are quad systems better to run Advent OLA’s stacked or will a conventional 2 channel system suffice ?

Just asking for my general knowledge. I don’t know very much about quad systems or their functionality.

Thank you kindly
Bernard

Have you listened to your speakers yet, or are you frozen by information overload?
 
I’ve heard my Advents and they sound very nice , and you bring up a very good point . I guess I’m just overthinking (information over load) the situation and should just be content with my Advents .
I truly understand that there are several variations of stereo listening configurations and a person can easily “over think “ his or her system layout, especially when it comes to vintage stereo equipment and if the person has little to minimal working knowledge of the stereo world menu list .
I just may take a chill pill for now and enjoy what I have because it really sound nice .
The curious mind is always looking for other options , but it can be a stressful journey.

Thanks for bringing me back,
Bernard
 
I’ve only tried them as single pairs .
Not as stacked pairs ..
Time hasn’t allowed me to spend more time with them to try the different wiring configurations.

Just wanted to make sure there was sound coming out of the units before I paid the seller .

I’ll try the configurations this weekend, it’s my bday so I’ll have plenty of time to try out the stacked configuration in series as you advised .

I’ll keep you updated on my results
Thanks again
Bernard
 
I’ve only tried them as single pairs .
Not as stacked pairs ..
Time hasn’t allowed me to spend more time with them to try the different wiring configurations.

Just wanted to make sure there was sound coming out of the units before I paid the seller .

I’ll try the configurations this weekend, it’s my bday so I’ll have plenty of time to try out the stacked configuration in series as you advised .

I’ll keep you updated on my results
Thanks again
Bernard

Since you will have the time, why not try them in both configurations. I see little chance of problems stacked in parallel with that amp. The "advantage" to a series arrangement is that it absolutely assures no issues with impedance. In parallel, if the amp does struggle, it will only be at very high output levels. Probably louder than you would ever want.

Your amp does 150 watts into 8 ohms and 230 watts into 4 ohms...a 53% increase. While an ideal power supply (with corresponding heat sinking and output transistors) will double its output into 4 ohms, a 50% increase still indicates a fairly stout power supply.

As a comparison, the mighty Pioneer SX-1250 does 160 into 8 ohms and only 200 into 4 ohms; a 25% increase.
 
Last edited:
That’s awesome news and very good information.
I’ll try them in parallel at a low to moderate volume .
are there any signs I should be looking for our the amp is struggling other than looking at wattage meters ?

Thank you
Bernard
 
I had mentioned the same thing in my earlier, lengthy reply.

As also mentioned, meters are not a particularly useful tool for managing power output. Use your ears, and keep an eye (hand) on heat from the amp. It may certainly get quite warm, but hot to the touch suggests it is running at the ragged edge. Also, the issue is not power so much as current. The concern is that the amp is being asked to deliver more current than it is built to deliver, resulting in excess heat and/or excessive voltage sag. Heat is the enemy of electronic components, and voltage sag results in reduced power just when you need it the most.

With just 2 watts of continuous output, I would estimate that your SPL (perceived loudness) will be around 82dB. or maybe a bit more, at a typical listening distance in a typical room. At that continuous level, you would have enough headroom (power in reserve) for peaks of 20dB or so. Even if you push it up to the high 80dB's volume range (quite loud), you would still have headroom for 12dB peaks...so at worst only minor clipping (and that's assuming a recording with very good dynamic range).

To get an idea of how loud 82dB is, you can download a free SPL meter app to your smartphone. Turn up the volume until you are getting an averaged reading of 82dB on the app. Spoiler alert...it's pretty loud!
 
Last edited:
Yes I remember your earlier reply regarding
, impedance, and power consumption.

I will definitely keep a watchful eye on all the red flags you just mentioned , plus download a SPL app to my iPhone. 2 watts of continuous power delivering 82db is insane . I will use my app as a guide not exceed 82db., but i seriously doubt that I will be anywhere near that high of volume level .
So it’s a plan..
Wire 2 single 8-ohm (nominal 6 ohm) Advent OLA’s in parallel.
Use Speaker A , Left and Right
1-each Advent stack per channel
Use SPL app to guide not to exceed 82db of output , this should roughly be about 2 watts of continuous power.
At this power threshold I should have enough reserve power for peaks without stressing amplifier section of receiver.

Watch for over heating of system or distortion of sound coming out of Advents, if so , then turn down the volume .

is that about right ?

I doubt that I will ever have to visit the alternative option of wiring in series,
But when should I have to entertain the idea of a series configuration , if ever .

Thanks again
Bernard
 
Yes I remember your earlier reply regarding
, impedance, and power consumption.

I will definitely keep a watchful eye on all the red flags you just mentioned , plus download a SPL app to my iPhone. 2 watts of continuous power delivering 82db is insane . I will use my app as a guide not exceed 82db., but i seriously doubt that I will be anywhere near that high of volume level .
So it’s a plan..
Wire 2 single 8-ohm (nominal 6 ohm) Advent OLA’s in parallel.
Use Speaker A , Left and Right
1-each Advent stack per channel
Use SPL app to guide not to exceed 82db of output , this should roughly be about 2 watts of continuous power.
At this power threshold I should have enough reserve power for peaks without stressing amplifier section of receiver.

Watch for over heating of system or distortion of sound coming out of Advents, if so , then turn down the volume .

is that about right ?

I doubt that I will ever have to visit the alternative option of wiring in series,
But when should I have to entertain the idea of a series configuration , if ever .

Thanks again
Bernard

Yes. And no real concerns or need for great caution until you are up into the higher80s (contnous/averaged SPL). Obviously you will be seeing peaks on the meter that are quite a bit louder than the averaged/continous reading.
 
Last edited:
Can’t express enough of my gratitude for all your support and knowledge in assisting me .
If I’m able to get things together this weekend, I’ll share my thoughts and findings .
Thank you again ,
And have a Blest weekend
Bernard
 
Something I haven't seen in any post for this thread is, Advents will always sound better on stands that place the tweeters at ear height when seated. This applies to every large "bookshelf" speaker ever made. Stands that are lower and tilt them are not as good sounding and make stacking them impossible.

I suggest trying a single pair initially. That will get you used to the "Advent" sound. If you don't have any stands a couple of Cinder blocks will suffice. If the Cinder blocks are not aesthetically pleasing wrap them in Black plastic trash bags. I also suggest some sort of pads (felt for example) to protect the speakers from the rough surface of Cinder blocks.

When stacking them it's pretty much universally agreed that stacked pairs sound better when the upper pair are inverted.
 
Last edited:
Can’t express enough of my gratitude for all your support and knowledge in assisting me .
If I’m able to get things together this weekend, I’ll share my thoughts and findings .
Thank you again ,
And have a Blest weekend
Bernard

You're welcome.

I re-read your post. For parallel wiring, you can either run both pairs from A, or one pair from A and one from B. Your unit puts A and B in parallel, so electrically either way is the same. The benefit of using A and B is that you can use the speaker selector switch to listen to just one pair, the other pair, or both pairs.
 
Something I haven't seen in any post for this thread is, Advents will always sound better on stands that place the tweeters at ear height when seated. This applies to every large "bookshelf" speaker ever made. Stands that are lower and tilt them are not as good sounding and make stacking them impossible.

I suggest trying a single pair initially. That will get you used to the "Advent" sound. If you don't have any stands a couple of Cinder blocks will suffice. If the Cinder blocks are not aesthetically pleasing wrap them in Black plastic trash bags. I also suggest some sort of pads (felt for example) to protect the speakers from the rough surface of Cinder blocks.

When stacking them it's pretty much universally agreed that stacked pairs sound better when the upper pair are inverted.
Thanks for the advise , i do have some small very well built speaker stands they are about the height of a cinder block , I’ll use your prescribed method for placement . Another very helpful person on this thread was helping me sort out all my concerns in wiring my advents had suggested inverting the upper stacked advents .
Thank you for the info
Bernard
 
You're welcome.

I re-read your post. For parallel wiring, you can either run both pairs from A, or one pair from A and one from B. Your unit puts A and B in parallel, so electrically either way is the same. The benefit of using A and B is that you can use the speaker selector switch to listen to just one pair, the other pair, or both pairs.
That’s a very good idea, I wasn’t sure if using just A speaker or A + B combination had advantage over the other . But it makes really good sense since A + B are internally wired in parallel in the receiver , I can select to use A only, or B only , or A +B combination without having to go any re wiring to the loudspeaker speaker terminals .
Thanks again for all the help
Bernard
 
Back
Top Bottom