• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

TPA 3116 vs the tripaths

Here's a diagram that Poultrygeist posted a while back, perhaps it could help you.

I saw that one but it's definitely different than mine.
I get where the wires to the board go ( I think); I'm mostly confused by the 2 reds and the 2 blacks for the AC in??
 
Last edited:
This is the downside of dealing directly with Chinese companies. I bought a tube pre on ebay from a Chinese seller, and despite the fact that it was missing a tube, very poorly packed, and over heated after 30 minutes of use, I am on the hook for return shipping to the tune of $60. I am just a bit steamed about that.

If you bought the preamp on the bay I hope you've opened a case and plan to take it to the highest level. You should be talking directly to an ebay rep about this.
 
I saw that one but it's definitely different than mine.
I get where the wires to the board go ( I think); I'm mostly confused by the 2 reds and the 2 blacks for the AC in??

Caution disclaimer: I have not dug in to the details...

However, my guess it's 120/240 dual primary, and that you'd pair the two colors (red+red, black+black) and connect those to 120.
 
I have the red, blue/black, Audiobah green, and Sure TPA3110.



Now out of curiosity I may be forced to try the Sure TPA3116.



Guys when will this insanity stop? :sigh:


Since you have a lot of experience with these boards, I would like to hear your comparison with the Sure TPA3116. I know it is an insanity:)
 
Not to mention that the redboard is currently on sale. But in reading last night a TI "engineer" mentioned the TPA3118D2 because of it's trademarked PowerPad...... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp.html

I thought I read early that the TPA3118D2 is essentially the same? I ask because a quick search shows a very affordable option along these lines, already assembled with power supply etc.... It's called the SMSL SA-36A Pro and albeit not DIY, at the prices its found, really hard to beat if it performs the same as the TPA3116

I guess the reason I keep lurking here is to find an affordable and good sounding way to Tri-amp my vintage sony speakers.
 
I have an old UPS, which I don`t use it anymore,
can I use it to power the amp? Is it a linear psu?
what about some pc psu, some have a lot of 12v rails with many amperes,.
 
If you bought the preamp on the bay I hope you've opened a case and plan to take it to the highest level. You should be talking directly to an ebay rep about this.


I did, the ebay rep told me that I am responsible for return shipping, despite the circumstances, and I've spoken to two different reps.
 
Last edited:
I did, the ebay rep told me that I am responsible for return shipping, despite the circumstances, and I've spoken to two different reps.

eBay is not the same as used to be, perhaps just a year ago. Customers/buyers are not on the first place and 'always right' any more. They (and PayPal) have nothing to take from us-buyers but from the sellers only, so they don't want to loose sellers.
However, 'return shipping' is always buyers obligation no matter what happened! I have lost some Ł 8 Brit.pounds lately for sending back broken camera that British seller was selling as - NEW! Images enclosed, seller promised full refund - yes, but no return shipping and selling broken was obviously his fault (and fraud!) :gigglemad
 
Sure finally responded, and is offering to send me a new board for free -- I don't even need to send the original board back! If this works out it will say really good things about this company.
 
I did, the ebay rep told me that I am responsible for return shipping, despite the circumstances, and I've spoken to two different reps.

$60 for return shipping is ridiculous. It certainly didn't cost that much coming from China ( e-packet? ). I would notify the seller if there's no better resolution he can expect negative feedback with wording that will alert others to this pitfall. Positive feedback is their life blood.
 
Sure finally responded, and is offering to send me a new board for free -- I don't even need to send the original board back! If this works out it will say really good things about this company.

If Sure actually follows through, this is huge! Why bother with E-Bay at all if it requires return shipping be your problem even for a defective product?
If a reliable supplier such as Sure (hopefully) is willing to correct problems when dealing direct with them, makes using E-Bay worthless...:scratch2:
 
If Sure actually follows through, this is huge! Why bother with E-Bay at all if it requires return shipping be your problem even for a defective product?
If a reliable supplier such as Sure (hopefully) is willing to correct problems when dealing direct with them, makes using E-Bay worthless...:scratch2:

I agree.

You know those E-bay sellers follow these forums.
 
If Sure actually follows through, this is huge! Why bother with E-Bay at all if it requires return shipping be your problem even for a defective product?
If a reliable supplier such as Sure (hopefully) is willing to correct problems when dealing direct with them, makes using E-Bay worthless...:scratch2:


My thoughts exactly, buyer protection, my a$$! From now on, I will only by Ebay items if I am prepared to lose the money I spent on it.
 
Maybe a linear regulated PS seems like overkill but I was able to learn some things along the way. Lots of fun and improvement for $35. A new one won't break the bank at $85.

I know it's tempting to pair the TPA's with speakers at their price point but they're good enough to drive your Sunday bests.

I don't doubt you if it sounds better if the filtering caps on an amp board are sub par, or is a switching supply is under rated in comparison. But hearing the EMI noise a switching supply might produce, it kind of falls back into the output filter inductor issue for me. I'm not going to hear it.

As an aside, I found this at Jameco that looks kind of interesting. If it was 24V I might buy one to get max output out of the TPA.

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/3265-38-381-r-138-watt-linear-power-supply-test-measurement.html
 
History tells us the Sure tpa3116 won't be close to best tpa3116. But who knows, next LandRover might be worlds most reliable car with lowest fuel consumption.
 
Sure vs Sure

The Sure TK2050/Meanwell PS pictured here lags behind the sonics of the $9 Sure TPA3110 with a $7 12v 6A power brick. The TK2050 doesn't seem to offer any power advantage.



picture.php
 
Not to mention that the redboard is currently on sale. But in reading last night a TI "engineer" mentioned the TPA3118D2 because of it's trademarked PowerPad...... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/237086-tpa3116d2-amp.html

I thought I read early that the TPA3118D2 is essentially the same? I ask because a qAuick search shows a very affordable option along these lines, already assembled with power supply etc.... It's called the SMSL SA-36A Pro and albeit not DIY, at the prices its found, really hard to beat if it performs the same as the TPA3116

I guess the reason I keep lurking here is to find an affordable and good sounding way to Tri-amp my vintage sony speakers.


Anyone know If you use a larger power ssupply (like a 19V/6A ) with the tpa3118D2 can you get more power comparable to the 3116 like 50w/channel with out blowing it up or suffering SQ?
 
Back
Top Bottom