• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable

OldSchoolAudio

Active Member
Hi all!

I am tempted to bid on a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable, mostly because it is the most beautiful TT i have ever seen. I know they probably go for big money and i cant afford having a TT like that just as a piece art so i am wondering about the sound quality of this TT.

It has the original tonearm as shown in the picture below.


So if you have any experience with this TT please let me know what you think of the sound (Compared to some other TT)

Thanks for help!

Oldschool
 

Attachments

  • Transcriptor tradera.jpg
    Transcriptor tradera.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 485
Register to hide this ad
I've never used one, so I'm not much help. But other than being really increadible looking, the specs are pretty darn good. Me, I'd go for it, but I say that about everything. I've heard their arms, especially the 'Vestal' (which that isn't) are a PITA to setup. But that's never stopped me before either.
 
I've never used one, so I'm not much help. But other than being really increadible looking, the specs are pretty darn good. Me, I'd go for it, but I say that about everything. I've heard their arms, especially the 'Vestal' (which that isn't) are a PITA to setup. But that's never stopped me before either.

Thanks for your thoughts Holst!

A PITA to setup is not going to stop me either. It will be pretty expensive, probably a bit over $1000. If the sound is even close to the looks its a bargain :D But havent heard anything about the sound from a reliable source get so i have no clue what to do.

Thanks again!

Oldschool
 
I thought I'd answered your question about sound yesterday, but I must have forgetten to hit submit. I believe that Transciptors tables were considered to sound pretty good, but not exceptional at the time. They certainly look cool, but the quality of construction and the materials are not in the top league, and some of the design choices are odd -- at least one of them had variable speed accomplished by raising and lowering a paddle in a dashpot of silicon fluid. But its worth keeping in mind that they weren't all that expensive when they were made, so some allowances should be made. (Consumer Reports reviewed them if that illuminates the price issue. By the way, they didn't think it was a good deal).
An important thing to keep in mind is that they have a different philosophy than is general nowadays -- the disc support and arm mass are both aimed at very high compliance cartridges, and are not suitable to low compliance MCs for example (particularly the Vestigial tone arm, which is about as flimsy as any arm ever made).
They look so cool that I imagine it is very satisfying to own and use one, but I think they are grossly overpriced now judged by sound standards. But if you really want one, I doubt if quibbles about the lack of ultimate perfection in sound will bother you.
 
They look so cool that I imagine it is very satisfying to own and use one, but I think they are grossly overpriced now judged by sound standards. But if you really want one, I doubt if quibbles about the lack of ultimate perfection in sound will bother you.

Thanks Nat! :thmbsp:

No doubt that you buy this TT for looks. I hope, but doubt it will be an upgrade for me sound wise. Maybe i could improve it with some minor mods if it doesnt come up to my audio standards. If not, i would have to sell it. It IS the music that matters the most after all. Even though i love visual art as well.

Do you know the MSRP?

Oldschool
 
In 1977, the Skeleton listed for 450 and the Vestigial arm was 140. The arm shown in your picture is the earlier unipivot, which listed for less. Just as a reference, the armless Linn Sondek listed for the same price, and the Thorens TD 126C (with arm) was 625.
 
In 1977, the Skeleton listed for 450 and the Vestigial arm was 140. The arm shown in your picture is the earlier unipivot, which listed for less. Just as a reference, the armless Linn Sondek listed for the same price, and the Thorens TD 126C (with arm) was 625.

Thanks alot for the great info!

Anyone know the price difference for the "Skeleton" and the "Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable"?
 
Just bought the Transcriptors for $855. I really hope it will survive the journey back to its new home :dunno:

Thanks for your thoughts guys!
 
Come to think of it, the Hydraulic Reference is the table with the dashpot of silicon fluid. It was earlier than the Skeleton, and unfortunately I don't have an earlier Audio Annual than 1977, and that one only lists the Skeleton. Orion has the original list price for the Hydraulic Reference at $200, which might have been correct in 1971, but I'm pretty sure is was more by the end of the production. And that's probably exclusive of the arm.
The Transcriptors I am waiting for is the Transcriber -- the linear arm table with the arm attached to the glass dustcover, and the the turntable and record moving under it. On one hand, its truely loony, but on the other it makes some sense.
 
i have the skeleton, the wiring and cables have been upgraded w/ silver wiring. the tonearm in mine seems pretty complicated, but to me that is part of its charm. i have it set up and to me it sounds better than my sony ps -x75 and my 1200. mine is encased in a glass box, pretty cool!!!! enjoy

regards
 
I have a Transcribor...

I bought a Transcriptors Transcriber a little while back and am in the process of restoring it. It seems to have an issue with the sensor or some part of that circuitry that moves the record as it should, but it does not. I believe it just needs a new sensor and I may just order one from the company and see if that helps. I have been in touch briefly with Michael and he is trying to help, but I have sidelined and backburnered that project, but seeing all these posts regarding these tables has made me bring it out again and see if i can get it going. Michael if you read this I promise I will drop you a line soon and will try and get it going again!!

I will see if I can take a few pics within the next few days when I put it back together. I have it all apart because of the repair issue and also I was doing a full cleaning top to bottom on it. I am also considering upgrading all the internal wiring and connectors as this machine is bone stock and could probably benefit from that. I will retain all of the factory wiring and connectors as to not take away from it's original collector type value.

Any thoughts on this table? I heard from it's previous owner that there are some disc resonance issues due to the fact that the platter only contacts the record on 6 little rubber pads. It creates a hollow type echoey like vibration resonance thing going on with the sound just due to that design. He suggested to get some sort of mat or the like made to go in between the platter mounts and the record to help suppress this issue.

Well I will update as things progress in a new thread (sorry about the hijack!!) so anyone interested keep an eye out for that soon when I get a chance to take a few pics.

Chris
 
Last edited:
Hi guys.

I too, am in the process of restoring a Hydraulic Reference and was wondering if anyone else here has had problems with ordering parts from Transcriptors, paying for them but receiving nothing?

It's been about 9 months and I'm not getting any reply on any of the 3 email adresses.

Any ideas or comments?
 
I have one that could use some restoration. It's sounds nice but not super hifi level. You can easily change the arm to an sme 3009 and I've heard of getting a clear glass platter as upgrades that will significantly improve sound. I am keeping mine stock.
 
Hi guys.

I too, am in the process of restoring a Hydraulic Reference and was wondering if anyone else here has had problems with ordering parts from Transcriptors, paying for them but receiving nothing?

It's been about 9 months and I'm not getting any reply on any of the 3 email adresses.

Any ideas or comments?
Michael from Transcriptors.net is a member here under the name TranscriptorsUK , hopefully a PM will do the trick.
 
I picked up a mint condition Skeleton about 2 years ago and had a few questions so I emailed Transcriptors overseas. I had to include my telephone number with my question. Two days later the son or grandson(I can't remember which) of the original founder of Transcriptors called me himself. I could not believe it was him. He asked me where I got the Skeleton and some details about it. He offered to completely service my Skeleton for me if I would ship it to them. No cost other than shipping. I really did not feel it needed servicing so I politely declined his offer but he answered my questions and I was happy. Parts are still available for many of their tables on the website. I love my Skeleton and have read good things about the Hydraulic Reference table also. I hope you enjoy it, keep us posted on your thoughts.
 
Michael from Transcriptors.net is a member here under the name TranscriptorsUK , hopefully a PM will do the trick.

Hmmm... don't think I'll bother.

If he can't reply via MANY private emails, I can't see him replying via a message board.

We have communicated several times about the no-show if the items; each time he has said he'd get right on to it and each time nothing has turned up.

I've since found another supplier. He tells me that it's not the first instance of this happening.

Good to hear... :sigh:
 
For anyone who is interested, this is the last email I sent to Michael on Monday. I sent it to the 3 email addresses I have from him.

I have received nothing in reply.

"Hi Michael,

Me again.

Just want to finalise this matter once and for all.

As you must surely be aware, we still have not received any parts for
this Hydraulic reference turntable, which were ordered back in April,
and paid for.

I have managed to find someone else to supply most of the parts to at
least get it operating again, however I wanted to give this one last
chance before we burned the money, once and for all.

I am still happy to go ahead with the transaction if we can, but if I do
not receive any positive feedback from you by the end of this week, I
shall consider the matter closed and move on.

In case the order has again been misplaced, the items we ordered were a
set of platter pads, silicon fluid, a belt and a set of aluminium trims.

Hoping to hear back from you.

--
Regards,

Robbie"


Anyone think I was being unreasonable??
 
I think its unreasonable of you to be so apologetic -- Transcriptors took your money and never sent the parts. You should be indignant, not asking if you went too far.
 
Back
Top Bottom