• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable

For anyone who is interested, this is the last email I sent to Michael on Monday. I sent it to the 3 email addresses I have from him.

I have received nothing in reply.

"Hi Michael,

Me again.

Just want to finalise this matter once and for all.

As you must surely be aware, we still have not received any parts for
this Hydraulic reference turntable, which were ordered back in April,
and paid for.

I have managed to find someone else to supply most of the parts to at
least get it operating again, however I wanted to give this one last
chance before we burned the money, once and for all.

I am still happy to go ahead with the transaction if we can, but if I do
not receive any positive feedback from you by the end of this week, I
shall consider the matter closed and move on.

In case the order has again been misplaced, the items we ordered were a
set of platter pads, silicon fluid, a belt and a set of aluminium trims.

Hoping to hear back from you.

--
Regards,

Robbie"


Anyone think I was being unreasonable??

well? what happened? I just got a hydraulic reference and need some parts, what did you wind up doing?
 
Hey guys,

(Jeremy, you have mail)

I've burned the money and moved on. As far as I'm concerned, Transcriptors.net is a waste of server space which can be likened to any Nigerian money scam. You pay - you get nothing. After asking around, this seems to be a common occurrence in dealing with them.

I have managed to find another supplier on eBay (US) under the name of "The Audio Guy Online" or "aud-guy". He has most bits and pieces you would need to fix up your Transcriptor and from his feedback ratings, it looks like you actually receive them, which is of course, an added bonus!!!

Still mighty pi$$ed at Gammon and his operation.

Rob.
 
Last edited:
These quirky TTs were fun to look at apparently being designed more for eye appeal and a shot at a display pedestal at MOMA than pure sonic excellence. I've thought the no-support/no damping platter design and use of glass a sonically horrid approach. OTOH, Harry Pearson of The Absolute Sound mag once thot the Vestigal arm a great mount for the equally quirky and inconsistently unreliable but occasionally superb sounding ADC XLM Mk-Somedamthingorother before the Infinity Black Widow and then the Grado Signature pick-up came along.
Good luck with it.
 
Last edited:
The Hydraulic Reference is somewhat quirky to set-up properly (fluid, tone arm, leveling, installing cartridge, etc.), but with patience and time you will be well rewarded. I use one with a Grado Gold cartridge (for now), a Bottlehead Seduction and my Summer setup (see Member System Forum). It's dead quiet, stable speed-wise, sounds wonderful and not bad to look at either. :naughty:

attachment.php
 
Last edited:
Hydraulic parts

Hi,
Try Michel Engineering at Borehamwood, UK for parts. There were two models, the Hydraulic and the Electronic - virtually identical except for speed control. When we launched the Focus One, I know that Michel was building these mainly for the German market.
There are two models of each, the earlier one was "tits up" and "flats up" the later. Yes, there was then the option of a glass platter and a felt mat which did improve the sound with a clamp (not a weight). They are all very placement dependant.
There was also the "Marble" (white, green or black)plinthed version which was the nicest of all and the best sounding.
Their arms were very underrated, but always a pig to get right.
Cheers
Pete
 
Hey guys,

(Jeremy, you have mail)

I've burned the money and moved on. As far as I'm concerned, Transcriptors.net is a waste of server space which can be likened to any Nigerian money scam. You pay - you get nothing. After asking around, this seems to be a common occurrence in dealing with them.

I have managed to find another supplier on eBay (US) under the name of "The Audio Guy Online" or "aud-guy". He has most bits and pieces you would need to fix up your Transcriptor and from his feedback ratings, it looks like you actually receive them, which is of course, an added bonus!!!

Still mighty pi$$ed at Gammon and his operation.

Rob.

Well, something like that happened to me too. I didn't order anything from them. But I have a Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference in need of repair/parts replacement. I emailed Michael several times. After several emails and unanswered phone calls, I got one email from Mike Gammon requesting to send the TT platter to him. Well, I spent almost 60 bucks to send the platter and spindle to Mike in England. I specifically described "turntable parts - made in the UK". Well, the package was held in customs, nobody from Transcriptors, not even Mike picked that up. I never heard back from Michael and the package was returned today. I will end up putting the TT on the market and don;t wanna hear about Transcriptors again.


Carlos
 
we ordered a motor from him a few years ago, needless to say we never received it. After a large amount of one way emails from us, and threats we got the motor. It was rubbish, far eastern junk!

The man trades on his fathers name and probably does well from it.

My advice to any of you thinking of dealing with him is to beware! I am sure a google search will confirm my advice to you.

I am proud to be able to say that dealing with UK companies and suppliers is most often an easy and productive experience, now and again someone comes along and turns out to be a bad one. Your experiences are not one-offs, so don't touch the mans company with a barge pole!

As for the Turntables? well its worth owning one just to look at it! I don't think they ever worked that well (possibly the Mitchell ones could be made to perform?). I would love to own the Transcriptors / B & O. set up from "Clockwork Orange!!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom