• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

True “full range” floorstanding speakers

AudioGMan

Well-Known Member
Are there any true full range floorstanding speakers? I don’t mean ones with a built in powered subwoofer. I mean all passive that will do 20Hz-20kHz +/- 3dB. I’ve owned Pioneer HPM-100, Cerwin Vega VS-120, Realistic Mach One, Realistic Mach Two, and Optimus Mach Three. None of those come close to getting down to 20Hz. I would assume it would have to be a large sealed enclosure. I’ve never heard any of the big vintage JBL with 15” woofers but every JBL I’ve seen is ported. I’ve heard Klipsch Heritage and KLF. The big CV with 15” woofers too. Am I gonna have to build huge sealed cabinets with dual 15” woofers in each and a horn D’apolito style to satisfy my wants?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have some Speakerlab S30's with the Nestorovic woofer system. They go really low and with punch. Pipe organs are something else. Also have Goldenear Triton 1's and they go down there too but they have DSP and built in amps for the bass.
John
 
Nothing JBL currently makes comes anywhere close to 20Hz. The Focal Grande Utopia EM Evo reaches down to 18Hz without a sub and the Stella Utopia gets down to 22Hz. Neither have amplified bass sections.

Personally, I think that kind of depth is pointless. I don't listen to anything that requires more depth than the speakers I own.
 
Perhaps I'm ignorant, but before home theater and it's need to replicate movie theater sound effects I'm not sure many thought chasing frequency response that low was worth the effort. There's only so much well recorded pipe organ music available.
 
Perhaps I'm ignorant, but before home theater and it's need to replicate movie theater sound effects I'm not sure many thought chasing frequency response that low was worth the effort. There's only so much well recorded pipe organ music available.
Well I do use my system for both movies and music. And I do listen to music that does go down to 20Hz and even down to 16Hz.
 
FWIW, I'm so much happier using a sub or two than trying to get full-range speakers (even premium floorstanders) to do everything. I still have a number of floorstanders but for some reason ATM I'm happier using high-quality bookshelf-type speakers with auxiliary subs. The big drivers in the box speakers run essentially as mid-woofs and the subs take care of everything below 60hz or thereabouts. My experience, subject to change of course ツ
 
Aerial Acoustics Model 8

Description: Three-way, floorstanding loudspeaker.

Drive-units: 1" titanium-dome tweeter, 7.1" paper/composite-cone midrange, 10.7" woofer.

Crossover points: 250Hz and 2.5kHz.

Frequency response: 28Hz-22kHz, ±2dB, -6dB at 23Hz.

Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 3.5 ohms minimum.

Sensitivity: 86dB/2.83V/m on-axis.

Power requirements: 100W @ 8 ohms minimum, 500W @ 8 ohms maximum

Dimensions: 45" H by 9" W by 20" D. Weight: 120 lbs each.

Love these speakers...

20180402_140244.jpg
 
Unknown-1.jpeg Unknown.jpeg Its how much money you want to spend. Mcintosh XR-7's using a processor because their woofers are critically damped will reach down 16 hz and all the way up to 20,000 and be found for about $1000 a pair pre-owned..The one in the Picture has been updated by the original designer to have a large dome mid and tweeter combo available from Audio Classics. If you want line arrays there are XRT 20's 22's, 28's. Stay away of any of the Mac speakers with metal domes. Magico makes S5 MKII and and S7 that will do the job, but are pricey. $$,$$$.00. Only Tannoys very top of the line will reach 20, hz. JBL. DD 67000 come pretty close but you need the right room. My Concert Grands are flat to 23 HZ tri-amped with added super tweeters. My favorite speaker that out of the Box did what you wanted was the Mcintosh XR 290. But finding a pair is very hard these days. The last used pair I saw went for $30,000. Thats what they cost new in the early 1990's. Who else speakers appreciate or hold their value after 30 years and they don't require the woofer EQ. AC   XR-7.jpegIMG_3824.jpegIMG_3823.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom