• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tube Amp Identification

haggy38

Active Member
Hi guys,

I just found this tube amp and I can't find any type of information, please help me identify this thing, year, manufacturer. Is a good find??

Gustavoimage1.JPG
 
Register to hide this ad
Don't know anything about the company but it looks like a nice little integrated amp. I think 40 watts is being pretty optimistic , maybe 30 watts. Do all 4 output tubes say Telefunkin?
I see you have it powered up, make sure you read the stickys at the top of this forum on bring a long dormant tube amp back to life. I hope you have a load connected, never run a tube amp without speakers or some kind of load.

BillWojo
 
Hi,

Thanks, just one tube say Telefunkin, I just power it up couple of minutes. I will read the stickys, its my first tube amp.


Gustavo
 
Can't tell but the sockets look like they may be held in with screws. If so, that may indicate a kit, or a very low production.

Date you may be able to guesstimate from the numbers on the transformers or can capacitor. There is usually a 6 or 7 digit string on there that contains the manufacturer ID code and a date code.

http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm

I'll wing it and say late 1950s based on those knobs and the gold color though.

20+20 watts is pretty unrealistic, but a very common claim from EL84 amps. 12-15 watts per channel is definitely closer to reality. Still, it looks like a nice amplifier. Big transformers, Telefunken tubes, lots to love about that.
 
That looks like a potential winner. As stated above, be sure that you bring it up right. You don't want to blow anything up and ruin this very promising amp.
 
Can't tell but the sockets look like they may be held in with screws. If so, that may indicate a kit, or a very low production.

Date you may be able to guesstimate from the numbers on the transformers or can capacitor. There is usually a 6 or 7 digit string on there that contains the manufacturer ID code and a date code.

http://www.triodeel.com/eiacode.htm

I'll wing it and say late 1950s based on those knobs and the gold color though.

20+20 watts is pretty unrealistic, but a very common claim from EL84 amps. 12-15 watts per channel is definitely closer to reality. Still, it looks like a nice amplifier. Big transformers, Telefunken tubes, lots to love about that.

Yah, this amp was probably made before the world mostly-settled on RMS power. 20W peak (per channel) ~= 14Wrms, which is perfectly reasonable for an EL84 amplifier. Looks like they did a nice job with layout, as well (it's laid out similar to the Eico HF-87, and follows the tried-and-true practice of "keep the small-signal tubes away from the power supply").

Those output transformers look pretty respectable, so I'd say you have a winner on your hands. I have a similar-in-spirit Heathkit AA-151 rated about the same power-wise, and it absolutely sings with a pair of Klipsch RB-61II bookshelf speakers (95dB @ 1W/1m). I recommend pairing with speakers of similar sensitivity, and I wager you'll be pretty happy with the result.
 
It has a Stancor power transfomer , the yellow label is a dead giveaway , if you're lucky the output transfomers will also be Stancor .

The yellow label , also means it was most likely made in the early 60's .
 
Thanks guys for your feedback, tomorrow more pics so see internal details and take a decision what to do with this amp.


Gustavo
 
You can use higher wattage, less efficient speakers, but they just won't get as loud as efficient ones will,
start with a cap replacement, one at a time,take many pictures of "before" so if you make a mistake, you can find it
 
I use a lot of Nichicon for electrolytic caps, and Illinois MPW to replace paper caps. If it has film currently (the yellow flat ones may be) they might be fine.
 
Back
Top Bottom