• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tube Matching

jcmusic

Well-Known Member
What is the best route to take when matching small signal tubes? Matching the two sections or different tubes?

Jay
 
Register to hide this ad
What is the best route to take when matching small signal tubes? Matching the two sections or different tubes?

Jay

If it's a stereo unit, both. (e.g. 12AX7's)

I match the sections in tube 1 first, then tube two.

Next, I match between tubes.

If I'm lucky enough to find exact matching, one gets the left channel, and one gets the right. If not, I'll look for a fairly close-matched tube, and another fairly close-matched tube. . .only mirrored.

In other words, if tube 1 measures 1125/1250, and tube 2 measures 1250/1125; I'll put tube 1 in the left channel and tube 2 in the right channel.

I did this by accident in one of my mastering studio preamps many years ago and found there was a slight difference (widening and imagery) of the stereo field.

. . Falcon
 
Best way to truly do it,

Is install them into a piece of gear where you have measured both the cathode resistors
an plate resistors for both sides of the triode and they are extremely even, then you do
a voltage test with a meter at the plates of both triodes, then try various tubes till your
confident you have the best matching voltages you can get. Measure cathode voltage to.

That is the best way to do it, under "real" conditions, as the tube tester just can not do it.
 
Back
Top Bottom