• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tubes Are Unhealthy...

HH Scott 222c ....tubes/horns combination...I can easily waste away hours on end listening at 75db and be in audio heaven.

So, it sounds like you put the pedal to the metal. :thmbsp:

Yeah, it's funny...I used to be the type of listener (not long ago) that would turn it down to 95-100db so I could talk to the person next to me. Everytime I listened I would let it rip. I'd listen to an entire concert dvd at 115db. Now, I get a headache just thinking about it....but it was cool, like I just came home from the show...ear ringing and all.

Low-medium volumes, big sound and plenty of headroom does it for me now. The sweet, low powered tube amps and efficient speakers are a slick combination.

...for now. :D
 
Last edited:
Wait, we will snag another one

I am with you, I recently hooked up a Scott 299d to Altec Model 14's, enjoying the same lower level listening while my better half remains I disturbed.

I know somebody waiting for a Scott 233 to arrive to hook up to his model Altec 14s. Something tells me he will be making a comment or two in this thread within a short period of time. Just a lucky guess/prediction.
 
Yeah, it's funny...I used to be the type of listener (not long ago) that would turn it down to 95-100db so I could talk to the person next to me. Everytime I listened I would let it rip. I'd listen to an entire concert dvd at 115db. Now, I get a headache just thinking about it....but it was cool, like I just came home from the show...ear ringing and all.

Low-medium volumes, big sound and plenty of headroom does it for me now. The sweet, low powered tube amps and efficient speakers are a slick combination.

...for now. :D



I was about the same way until this past year. Love my Altec 14s now with my Aronov tube amp and ARC pre. I don't have any treble or bass control now and I don't even miss it. ......for now. :music:
 
I just got a SEP amp working that I pulled out of a Sylvania console. I'd have never thought a simple 50+ year old amp could resolve such detail or sound so good at low/medium volume. Luckily I've had this week off so I've had a lot of time to sit and listen.
 
Back
Top Bottom