• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tuners- to match or not to match

super98lsc

Well-Known Member
I have the CA-3000 which I painstakingly rebuilt to perfection a few months ago. I am close to completing my BA-2000 but plan to get a BA-3000/5000 or both sometime this year.
That said I am not huge on FM radio but do enjoy it now in my office/lab as I have been listening to and testing this 5000x I built for my dad a few months back. I forgot how good FM could sound!

The question is should I wait and find a matching TU-9900 or are there any advantages of that unit over say the other TU models.
TU-717
TU-7900
TU-417
Tu-317

It would be nice to have the match but as long as performance is as good or better than my 5000x/2000x which I have re-aligned and such I will be more than pleased.
 
Register to hide this ad
X17 series is a different story . I recommend tu9900 eyes shut.
If no way (difficult) then 7900 should be your choice.

What did you do with the pm'd item?
 
I am not necessarily committed to matching even brands but in this case I would mate the 9900 correct visual appeal. It just looks like it should,do be there.
 
I would match it. Oh, wait I did. I have a TU-717 for my AU-717 and TU-9900 for my Definition/Pro -series. ;)

And I am very impressed with the TU-9900. Very sensitive and sounds great. Much more sensitive than my other tuners (well, my Akai AT-93 is very close).
 
Ill wait and find one when a nice one comes along. I want to get a BA-3k/5k before I spend more on a tuner. However the reason I asked is I found a local deal on a TU-717 which could pair with either of my AU-717s.
 
A TU-9900 is a KILLER tuna fish.... FM stereo hasn't changed much since this was built.
So It's the BB Chevy 454 with Aluminum heads of Tuners!
 
Go for the tu9900. Its a great looking and performing tuner!

Some day I would like to have the case of my 9900 painted to match the rest of my definition gear. I think that would look great!
 
I am thinking of doing the same with my BA-2000 since I have to mix custom paint to refinish the CA-3000's panels.
 
Match is the way to go

You won't regret it, the TU-9900 is a stellar tuner :).
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2636[1].jpg
    IMG_2636[1].jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
hi,

Which tuner spec is superior when we compare TU 717 and TU 7900?

I would say the TU-7900 is the better tuner based on the published specifications, it is twice as sensitive as the TU-717. There are two things that the TU-717 is better at - 'S/N ratio' (3dB better) and 'MW selectivity'. (5dB better), Ok so the TU-7900 is a bit noisier - but with the extra sensitivity maybe that is excusable.

See for yourself.
http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/tu-717.shtml

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/sansui/tu-7900.shtml

Funny, I always thought the TU-717 would be the clear winner, (who knew?), but I am a sucker for some nice sensitivity. ;)
 
Last edited:
John, what amazes me is how much more dynamic and sharp the sound is on the FM in my rebuilt and re-aligned 5000x. I play it in my lab using a pair of Polk Monitor-10s. These were given to me for free from a friend who's wife dropped one of them and froze the 2 driver magnets to the coils. (common problem with the Polk MW6500 drivers). Mine are the 1st generation that have the Peerless tweeter with the tiny pinhole in them. They are EXTREMELY revealing to any noise, hiss, etc. Most CD's do not sound as good as the radio does on this 5000X. The thing is the radio stations are mostly garbage around Austin TX. Full of blabber-mouth DJs with nothing to say about music. I found one local Public radio station here that has a different genre of music every 3 hours or so based on which DJ is manning the booth. One older guy even spins vinyl. They talk about the artist,songs and some history about the bands. Reminds me of 30 years ago. I have an old Reel from my father from the mid sixties when he would wait for a DJ called the Night Bird to come on up North. He lived in NJ and would catch this station on his 5000a out of Pennsylvania and record it on his Teac 4010s by just letting it roll. Last year I sourced a Sony reel to play these tapes for the first time since 1977 when he was forced to sell his reel to pay to move us. I doubt I would ever sit in my dedicated listening room and turn on the radio so the TU9900 would likely be there for looks in the rack :-(
 
Back
Top Bottom