• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Turntable Dust Cover: Up Or Down

Turntable Dust Cover Position?

  • Up

  • Down

  • It Depends

  • Don't Have One


Results are only viewable after voting.
My current rig is sufficiently damped, and has enough mass, that I can leave it open during routine record playing. If I am doing needle drops or playing it loud, cover down. When the TT is off? Down. Serious dust problems here. And I don't need anything falling on it.

I noticed I was getting some distortion while playing an album the other day. I had the cover down and the volume rather high. I cleaned the cart thinking that was the issue but it turned out to be resonances from having the lid closed.
I used to get some serious feedback when I had the turntable in my bedroom (as a teen) with the speakers along the opposite wall. Couldn't figure out why the sound got so muddy. Then I realized the dustcover was acting as a giant microphone and causing the feedback. Ever since, I used my TTs with the cover down. At least, until I got my current setup a couple of years ago.
 
My VPI has no dustcover, Just an old pillowcase.

The Dual doesn't seem to make any difference. Sure is a nice place to sit a record to take a pic when it is up.
 
^^^ This. I don't have a TT now but when I did I would have the dust cover on only when not using it. When in use, the dust cover came off so as not to collect any airborne vibrations (if in the up position) or possibly affect tracking force from static charge (if in the down position).
 
Off...

No hinges either, but wouldn't vibrations from the motor be transferred to where the hinges are mounted and resonate up into the cover. Yes the manufacturer put a cover and hinges on it for customer satisfaction of some sort. But with the cover suspended by the hinges mounted adjacent to the motor, wouldn't that increase vibration to the frame transferred to the tonearm ??? Vibration muddles sound...

Just.....off the top of my head !
 
No hinges . . .
I built a circuit to shut down the stereo when the turntable shut off, so cover is on when in Auto off mode, or off when playing in non-Auto mode.
 
Off except for the plastic craptastic Technics SL-1950 in the bedroom which is used at low levels as we nod off to dreamland. Its usually up.
 
Last edited:
Just fixed the broken hinges on my Thorens 160 for the THIRD time. :confused:

It looks so much better without a cover, but in my listening room, it really helps keep dust off the spinning record. So it's closed for me!
 
^^^^^^That is how I use the Dual. The dustcover does not resonate as it is away from the speakers. The VPI, what dustcover.
 
Back
Top Bottom