• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Turntable Dust Cover: Up Or Down

Turntable Dust Cover Position?

  • Up

  • Down

  • It Depends

  • Don't Have One


Results are only viewable after voting.
A long time ago I posted "down". Meanwhile I like to see clearly the record spinning from time to time. Still mostly down, however.
 
Up, it soothes me to look at beautiful objects like my marble top TT. It's made of a solid slab of marble and weighs something that bring the expression "half-ton" to my mind but otherwise it's nice eye-candy that I don't mind dusting every two days or so. Same goes for speaker grilles.
 
Mine is made to my specs, no hinges, so it's off while listening. Covers will vibrate and can act as a passive radiator just like window panes. Best to remove them if possible, or place a damper on top of it.


resized 1.jpg
 
Last edited:
I voted "don't have one" because my main table doesn't, but the others do and I use them cover down.
IMG_20230521_074900404_HDR.jpg
I use a paper record sleeve as a platter cover when not in use.
 
...like many others...mine sits over top of the entire TT and the isolation block it sits on...so...completely off...now...if I did have a set-up that had a hinged cover...I'd have it up for playback...I subscribe to feedback loop theory (cart is a mic...yada yada)...and I like or prefer the aesthetic gestalt of it...
 
Not way to play most of my turntables with the cover up since they are linear trackers and the tone arm is attached to the cover.

On my standard turntables I usually put the cover down on the assumption it will help dampen feedback, but I don't have my speakers behind the turntable, nor to I play anything very loud so I'm sure it doesn't make a difference.
 
Down, I live in a very arid wind blown area. Dust is plentiful. It's like fine silt at times.
 
I take the cover off when playing the Rega P3because it is all manual, but I close it on the Marantz 6200 which is fully automatic.
 
I take mine off when playing a record because the Pioneer PLX-1000 dust cover has no hinges. You have to remove it to put the record on the platter and it doesn't make a lot of sense to put it back on when playing.
 
Always with cover on. Cover prevents dust/dirt and dirt is the #1 enemy of stylus tip life, record life, and fidelity.

However it is true that the cover catches vibrations from the speakers and thus can degrade the sound.

I have decoupled the cover on one of my turntables by suspending it entirely on felt pads. This works rather well.

I'm thinking of creating a plinth where the cover does not touch the plinth at all, but touches an "outer" plinth. Thus vibrations are only transmitted to the table the turntable sits on, not to the turntable plinth.
 
Back
Top Bottom