• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Turntable Interconnects...

also, I see a 50 ohm impedance cable (8221 ) with slightly lower capacitance (16.7) is available from Beldon.

The 89259 is 15 ohms, does impedance matter? or is capacitance more important?
 
outlawmws said:
What about Beldon 8451? What is it's capacitance? It is a twisted shielded pair, and I belive it to be Mic cable. I have a fair quantity, so if it's capacitance is low, I'd like to try making an interconnect for my TT's

Never mind this question, I found it, 34 pf between conductors. (Is this concidered low?)

Does capacitance matter between othe sources? like a CD or tape drive?

My other question on impedance stands though. :yes:
 
outlawmws said:
Never mind this question, I found it, 34 pf between conductors. (Is this concidered low?)

Does capacitance matter between othe sources? like a CD or tape drive?

My other question on impedance stands though. :yes:
No the impedance is not an issue. Capacitance between other sources is not an issue, and the length of the cable is not limited. 34pf is not low, but is passable. Keep the leads to 3 feet or less and you're probably okay. Seriously, though, consider the Petra cables I mentioned. They are 17pf/foot and so cheap. And it's so easy--just cut off one connector and solder. And you can have longer leads if you want. Why go throught the hassle of making your own? I bought a bunch of 6' cables to use as interconnects for aux devices, and a bunch of 12', each of which makes two pair of turntable interconnects--you simply cut them in half (and then a little shorter). It's so economical, and these have gotten a lot of praise.
 
Ok, cool. So it doesn't matter if I am using higher capacitance interconnects for my CD, DVD, tuner, etc? That's good--I like the feel of the Canare star quad and it seems to sound pretty good too.

For the TT, I ordered a low-capacitance cable from Blue Jeans. They list the capacitance of their stereo interconnect as 12.2 pF/ft. That was the best capacitance value I found out there.
 
dvdchance said:
What function do I use on my multimeter? Is it a seperate capacitance test. I have a cheapie Actron CP7672, anyone know if this will measure capacitance?
No, it won't. You would need a tester that has settings for capacitance (mF, uF, pF).
 
Brian4561 said:
For the TT, I ordered a low-capacitance cable from Blue Jeans. They list the capacitance of their stereo interconnect as 12.2 pF/ft. That was the best capacitance value I found out there.
Wow, I guess I didn't read that carefully--that is very low--absolutely go for it.
 
hakaplan said:
Wow, I guess I didn't read that carefully--that is very low--absolutely go for it.

Yeah, for my 2 foot TT to amp application I cut my nominal capacitance by something in the neighborhood of 88 pF.:jawdrop:
 
For the phono newbies that might read this post we should explain the reason that low phono interconnection cable capacitance is important. The phono cartridge is magnetic transducer that requires a specific external matching capacitance for proper flat frequency response.

47pf was one standard matching specification as I recall. So inside the phono preamp circuit there is a capacitor wired between each channels hot center conductor and ground to satisfy the cartridges loading requirement. Any cable connecting the TT to the preamp will have a certain amount of capacitance between it's center conductor and it's shield conductor.

This capacitance will increase with length, so many pf per foot. This cable capacitance adds to the loading capacitor that is already in the phono input loading capacitor. Too much total capacitance will cause a decrease in frequency response starting at the highest frequencies and working down. So that is the reason for desirability of having as short or as low a cable capacitance per length as possible.

I guess another more difficult solution would be to have a test tone record and by measuring actual FR one could change the input loading capacitor for a perfect match. However that would probably be only perfect (to the limit of the measurement accuracy) for that specific cartridge as I'm sure there is some amount of variation between makes and models of MM carts.

Lefty
 
Back
Top Bottom