• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Tweeter replacement and recap: Sansui SP-30

bambino

Member
You folks were very helpful a while back when I needed advice on finding new tweeters for my spare speakers I moved or my living room stereo, a set of Sansui SP-30s. So I’m finally getting around to it now that I have the tweeters but I’m not sure what else I need. I’m guessing it’s:

  • digital multimeter
  • soldering iron (any specific type of solder?)
  • Capacitors (don’t know which type though)
  • Wire? Not sure about this. Should the old wire be ok?
  • Anything else?
Thanks everyone! I’m excited to get these restored finally!
 
Register to hide this ad
The existing wire should be fine. Some speakers weren't soldered to the wires, they just had slip on connectors. The capacitor you would need to read the value printed on the side, like 6uf, etc. You can use a non polar electrolytic, that's probably what's in there already, or a polypropylene film capacitor. If using an electrolytic, get one rated for the same voltage or even a little higher. It should be printed on the capacitor as well. Film caps tend to be rated for higher voltages, and that's ok. As or solder, 60/40 rosin core will do just fine. Make a note of what color wire went to which terminal on the speaker as well. You don't want to wire them backwards.
 
Back
Top Bottom