• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ultimate Advice MC2300/MC2500/MC2600

Well, a few of you know that I now own (2) of each of these fine amplifiers. Six 130lb antiquated behemoths.

(2) MC2300 - 1Y and a 4Y
(2) Silver/Black MC2500 with the top panel decal (2nd iteration?)
(2) MC2600 - one early (6th unit off production) and one later.

Yep. Psycho indeed . . .

I must say, my past criticism of the MC2500 may have been a tad harsh (black faced, plastic square fan guards). I really like these two amplifiers. Running my XRT22s at 50wpc averages on the meters with a single unit operated in STEREO pressurizes the room like you may experience in a small club. I've not had the balls to light the Power Guard lamps on even a single. I must be getting old I guess.

One of the MC2500s was completely gone through after having the chassis totally bent up in shipping - see the other thread in regard. Really, I can't tell much of a difference between it and the first one I grabbed which is likely in about the finest condition one could expect an MC2500 to be in. Both present quite well indeed. I did something I should have done years ago - I put them on a furniture dolly to make connecting / disconnecting them from the system a snap. I originally purchased these amplifiers to power the system in our shop, but that hasn't come to fruition yet.

Too bad the Count is long gone to join the chat. Too bad Chris passed on - he'd likely tell me (more like assure me) I was nuts and that nobody needs anywhere near that kind of a power in a domestic setting. Too bad Rich Andrews is no longer here - another cat which own a pair of 2500s. But alas, I'm sure a few of the stalwarts will chime in.
My MC2500s are parked on furniture dollies these days in the home office. No room for bruiser amps with Mrs dresser in my master bedroom these days. I’’d set them on top but it would cause dresser to sag. The XRT20’s are hooked up being run by my Lyngdorf TDA2200 integrated it’s DAC and RoomPerfect sound very good with the superb high SNR abd 200 watts siffice great with just digital feed of Roon qobuz and Tidal HiFi and TV Movies. After putting tweeters towers to wall way better imaging and looks nicer too.


I think the MC2500s will run a pair of Bose 901s bridged or run two speaker systems in my home office or I may split them to have one set of XR5s so I can switch speakers for different music flavor. Everyone knocks the 901s but they need and will handle the big power. Eventually my plan is to trade them off for MC1.25Ks. Then maybe put my MC1000s on the XRT20 or use them to finance the XRT1.25Ks. The recapped and refreshed MC1000s really sound fine with XR290 as did my Lyngdorf and MC2500s. I can’t help think the XR290 will shine even more with newer Mc monoblocks.
 
I think the MC2500s will run a pair of Bose 901s bridged or run two speaker systems in my home office or I may split them to have one set of XR5s so I can switch speakers for different music flavor. Everyone knocks the 901s but they need and will handle the big power.

Missed this somehow ... !
 
Missed this somehow ... !
The MC2500s are still in my home office with the C39 and XR5s they will move to the horse Ranch property when we stop running the Air BnB. The yamaha pro amp is doing 901 duty again my XRT20s are on my Lyngdorf TDAI2200 now since it fit on a dresser and does well. But the MC2500s were better on the XRT20.

i saw a video one of 901s driven by MC1000s.
 
Its a mazing to me how people love distortion, and that's what you are listening to when you push your 2100, 2105, 2300, 275s, 2301's. People love distortion, its gives a particular characteristic to the sound. The distortion can be in many forms, poor signal to noise, intermodulation, harmonic, frequency response, TIM distortion, etc. Amps with power guard have distortion, too. Compression. But we have learned to live with that and you don't blow up speakers while the distortion takes place. Everything you listen to off air is compressed, most popular music is compressed. So unless your speakers produce over 100 db 4 ft 1 watt and can handle 100 watts continuously, you will eventually need power guard. That being said with my speakers approaching 96 db sensitivity with MC207 amps I have never seen the Power Guard lights flash, but that doesn't mean they haven't.
Bad math , put a scope on the amplfier output and check for clipping you will see most are not using more than 1-2 watts RMS for listening levels in the 85-90 db avg din area . At this output you will need 100-200 watts to avoid clipping on high DR music. Double that to 4 watts exceeds 400 watts on peak.

If running 100 watt RmS (doubtful on domestic speakers and setup ) then most high DR recordings are being clipped on peaks..


Regards
 
Back
Top Bottom