• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ultrasonic Cleaners - They do Work...

OK! I have the typical 'overseas' 10L Ultrasonic Cleaner filled and ready to go. How long does it take to heat this baby up to 50-53c anyway? I'm using the Sonic Spin with it... Any 'tricks' I need to know before I blow the joint up?

EDIT: How does this work for 78's?

Why did you opt to go with the 10L unit vs 6L? Assume you are cleaning 6-8 at a time and they won't fit into a 6L tank. Is that correct. Also where are folks buying the photo flo from? Thanks.
 
Interesting comments about the ultrasonic bath not fully cleaning. Fingerprints, smudges, etc should all be easily removed. If not, your solution or bath is not working right. Warm solution with a surfactant should remove all fingerprints. As others have said, it will not repair surface scratches, but dirt and oil should be gone. The groove should be clean. About the only issue I have seen that the ultrasonic bath was not able to remove was a couple of records that had some type of white hard deposit that looked like a hard water deposit.
 
Interesting comments about the ultrasonic bath not fully cleaning. Fingerprints, smudges, etc should all be easily removed. If not, your solution or bath is not working right. Warm solution with a surfactant should remove all fingerprints. As others have said, it will not repair surface scratches, but dirt and oil should be gone. The groove should be clean. About the only issue I have seen that the ultrasonic bath was not able to remove was a couple of records that had some type of white hard deposit that looked like a hard water deposit.

I tried straight up Nitty Gritty cleaner in there too - no difference. And I'm using the slowest speed I can (2 revolutions, about 15 mins in the tank at 50c). But the fingerprints and such are still visible. I have to scrub it on my Nitty Gritty first and then pop it in the tank.
 
How do you guys filter the solution to get the gunk out? Or don't you?

Some of these question are posted earlyer.

I strain into a pot with paper towels and napkins in a metal strainer about every 40-50 or so records. Then I change the whole solution at around 250 disc.

I have a fish filter but it's crap to use.
 
Some of these question are posted earlyer.

I strain into a pot with paper towels and napkins in a metal strainer about every 40-50 or so records. Then I change the whole solution at around 250 disc.

I have a fish filter but it's crap to use.

That seems about right (although I'm at about 20 records - and that's with cleaning the obviously dirty ones first on the Nitty Gritty). I'm thinking you can almost judge by the color of the water on when to strain/drain/replace it.

I'm going to look for a fitting for it so it drains down instead to the side as well (a hose would be nice!). I was thinking more of a coffee or deep fryer filter into a 5 gal. plastic bucket rather than paper towels and a kitchen pot though!
 
I am up and running. The Vinyl Stack unit and a 6L tank from eBay. I am in for about $500. WOW - what was I waiting for? The results are unbelievable. Night and day from my RCM and much less work. Productivity gain for sure. I have some pretty nasty LP's I have been holding until I got this setup squared away. Have run eight LP's thru in about a half hour and played two. Not a click or pop. Static is completely removed as 4-2-7 indicates. Amazing results. If you are on the fence I can tell you to run not walk or crawl to Ultrasonic. Couple of pics below. Happy with the first set of LP's cleaned via this method. Now to see how long it takes me to get thru 3M+ LP's. Thankfully most are not as nasty as the first set and the tank lasts that long. You get what you pay for. I'll be happy to get half way thru without failure. Anything after maybe gravy.
 

Attachments

  • Ultra_1.jpg
    Ultra_1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Ultra_2.jpg
    Ultra_2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 90
See post 322 in this thread. Mirroring that at 50c. Seems to work great.

3oz alcohol to 6L of distill water, 3 drops of Dove dish soap, two drops of photo-flow. Heat and agitation will do the rest.
 
I am up and running. The Vinyl Stack unit and a 6L tank from eBay. I am in for about $500. WOW - what was I waiting for? The results are unbelievable. Night and day from my RCM and much less work. Productivity gain for sure. I have some pretty nasty LP's I have been holding until I got this setup squared away. Have run eight LP's thru in about a half hour and played two. Not a click or pop. Static is completely removed as 4-2-7 indicates. Amazing results. If you are on the fence I can tell you to run not walk or crawl to Ultrasonic. Couple of pics below. Happy with the first set of LP's cleaned via this method. Now to see how long it takes me to get thru 3M+ LP's. Thankfully most are not as nasty as the first set and the tank lasts that long. You get what you pay for. I'll be happy to get half way thru without failure. Anything after maybe gravy.


what motor are you using?
 
The LP's I had are very dusty and had a pretty good smattering of finger prints. I used a Zerostat and compressed air to get as much of the dust off before I put them in the rack. Other than that I did nothing. Once out some still had residue of prints and I may opt to let them rotate longer than 15 minutes and 5 revolutions next time. Overall though I am impressed with the results.
 
I am up and running. The Vinyl Stack unit and a 6L tank from eBay. I am in for about $500. WOW - what was I waiting for? The results are unbelievable. Night and day from my RCM and much less work. Productivity gain for sure. I have some pretty nasty LP's I have been holding until I got this setup squared away. Have run eight LP's thru in about a half hour and played two. Not a click or pop. Static is completely removed as 4-2-7 indicates. Amazing results. If you are on the fence I can tell you to run not walk or crawl to Ultrasonic. Couple of pics below. Happy with the first set of LP's cleaned via this method. Now to see how long it takes me to get thru 3M+ LP's. Thankfully most are not as nasty as the first set and the tank lasts that long. You get what you pay for. I'll be happy to get half way thru without failure. Anything after maybe gravy.
I like the looks of the Vinyl Stack unit. The magnetic attachment of the "Stack Unit" to the hub of the drive motor is a nice feature.

Do you find the quality to be as good as it looks?
 
I am up and running. The Vinyl Stack unit and a 6L tank from eBay. I am in for about $500. WOW - what was I waiting for? The results are unbelievable. Night and day from my RCM and much less work. Productivity gain for sure. I have some pretty nasty LP's I have been holding until I got this setup squared away. Have run eight LP's thru in about a half hour and played two. Not a click or pop. Static is completely removed as 4-2-7 indicates. Amazing results. If you are on the fence I can tell you to run not walk or crawl to Ultrasonic. Couple of pics below. Happy with the first set of LP's cleaned via this method. Now to see how long it takes me to get thru 3M+ LP's. Thankfully most are not as nasty as the first set and the tank lasts that long. You get what you pay for. I'll be happy to get half way thru without failure. Anything after maybe gravy.

It took a bit of a learning curve, but I'm happy with mine as well (same setup as yours). Took a bit to get the right temps (I use 40c, NOT 50c, which can turn your album into modern art if you aren't watching it closely), and used just ISA and Photoflo with distilled. Be careful too, because that arm will slide a bit and bind on the edge of the tank! You also have to make sure you start the Sonic Arm gizmo-tron-thingymabob at a faster speed and back it down to whatever speed you want because it just might not start spinning otherwise... But all in all - it's a good thing and a LOT easier and faster than glue (but I won't say better!!! :yes:).

I'm getting about a day or two cleaning 'garage sale fare' records (I'm hitting them quick first with the Nitty Gritty for the obvious nasty ones). Went to a restaurant supply joint and picked up a cone filter and a 5 gal. bucket to strain/filter the cleaner every 6-8 hours/as needed. It still stays a pretty narly brown though, I just change it (gotta stock up on distilled water though! lol)
 
Last edited:
I am up and running. The Vinyl Stack unit and a 6L tank from eBay. I am in for about $500. WOW - what was I waiting for? The results are unbelievable. Night and day from my RCM and much less work. Productivity gain for sure. I have some pretty nasty LP's I have been holding until I got this setup squared away. Have run eight LP's thru in about a half hour and played two. Not a click or pop. Static is completely removed as 4-2-7 indicates. Amazing results. If you are on the fence I can tell you to run not walk or crawl to Ultrasonic. Couple of pics below. Happy with the first set of LP's cleaned via this method. Now to see how long it takes me to get thru 3M+ LP's. Thankfully most are not as nasty as the first set and the tank lasts that long. You get what you pay for. I'll be happy to get half way thru without failure. Anything after maybe gravy.

ha ha ha Mike I'm so happy it's working good for you as I knew it would. We have too many records to be pissy farting around lol.

For the record water heat is 45-50 and I do not do any pre cleaning, unless I see a bunch of cat hair.

One 10 minute cycles

Always pull the records out before the motors/agitation stops. If you don't the sediments,lint, dirt will float to the surface of the tank. This will be picked back up by the record, mostly the iner grooves and runout.

Make sure the water level is in the runout of the records.

The tought of Ultrasonic is we don't have to touch the surface of the record that's a plus in my book. So let drip dry also.

New inner sleeves, I get mine by the case of 1000 here.
https://www.squaredealonline.com/a.asp?m=7.87..

Mike these are the heavy weight ploy sleeves like we get in new audiophile records today. They slide in and out of covers very nice and give great protection.

When my records are dry in at least 45 minutes depending on weather. I do a little dusting with the old school record lint dust rage, it's cotton and similar to PJ's. Anything polyester will start making static when dusting. The lint that might be pressent will just fall off and into the new sleeve they go.
 
The Vinyl Stack kit looks very tempting, I've asked if they can supply one for the UK! So is a ten minute cycle about optimum? Is it strictly necessary to pre-heat the water, or can you just put the records in a press start?
 
Hey 427....trying to pursue the link you posted but it seems the inner sleeves you mentioned are not listed?Any thoughts....
 
Back
Top Bottom