• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ultrasonic Cleaners - They do Work...

Personaly I would get a 10L tank and setup for 8 records at a time. I also have never used that unit you posted.

Mine looks like this and is called a TruSonic

IMG_1937_zpsd7ef3b80.jpg

Thank you for your response.
I've made an addendum/correction to my previous post.
Regarding the number of records in the tank, this thread goes into significant detail regarding allowing proper spacing between the records to allow the full wave of us vibrations to form between them, which should allow for better/proper us cleaning. You are probably putting too many records in your tank.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218276-my-version-ultrasonic-record-cleaner.html
 
Correction, the heater unit does work, albeit very slowly. Also, I think it's a good idea to check the temperature displayed on your unit with a good thermometer. In my case, the temperature on the unit display was 45*C, while my trusty mercury lab thermometer showed 55*C!!!
The unit also heats up the water quite quickly, so in addition to the incorrect reading from the unit's heat sensor, the rapidly-heated water may and will warp your records, possibly irreversibly.
Just a heads-up for you all.

I have the same unit, and would NOT go over 40c on it's temp gauge as I DID warp 4 records. If the records just touch an edge, the clutch on the sonic arm disengages and it stops spinning, and the excess heat will warp the records badly. 40c is MORE than warm enough to do the job!
 
I have the same unit, and would NOT go over 40c on it's temp gauge as I DID warp 4 records. If the records just touch an edge, the clutch on the sonic arm disengages and it stops spinning, and the excess heat will warp the records badly. 40c is MORE than warm enough to do the job!

I'm sorry to hear that you lost 4 albums. Hopefully it wasn't anything truly valuable. I will follow your recommendations re:+40*C.
I've just hooked mine up yesterday, and decided to alert everyone that the temperature readings from this machine are to be scrutinized.
Just to reiterate, even though the heater unit heats the water slowly, the u.s. unit will heat it rather quickly through the action of the transducers, probably coupled with inefficient ventilation.
I will somehow attach a thermometer to the tank, to monitor the actual temperature, since the unit's heater sensor isn't to be trusted.
 
Thank you for your response.
I've made an addendum/correction to my previous post.
Regarding the number of records in the tank, this thread goes into significant detail regarding allowing proper spacing between the records to allow the full wave of us vibrations to form between them, which should allow for better/proper us cleaning. You are probably putting too many records in your tank.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogue-source/218276-my-version-ultrasonic-record-cleaner.html

I haven't had any issues cleaning the records I have done at over 3000 titles.
 
I'm sorry to hear that you lost 4 albums. Hopefully it wasn't anything truly valuable. I will follow your recommendations re:+40*C.
I've just hooked mine up yesterday, and decided to alert everyone that the temperature readings from this machine are to be scrutinized.
Just to reiterate, even though the heater unit heats the water slowly, the u.s. unit will heat it rather quickly through the action of the transducers, probably coupled with inefficient ventilation.
I will somehow attach a thermometer to the tank, to monitor the actual temperature, since the unit's heater sensor isn't to be trusted.

Here's what I do: put the records in the cold water when you start. It will heat the water faster. It won't hurt them and can only make them cleaner if they are in there for a couple rounds of cleaning :yes:
 
I haven't had any issues cleaning the records I have done at over 3000
Imho it's all about getting the most out of this procedure. There's science behind the cavitation frequencies and their wavelengths, after all. :scratch2:
 
Last edited:
Like others said, the ultrasonic heats the water fast.

I've been setting tank temp to 40. By the end of the first cleaning cycle, it's up to 50.

It then sits there.

I clean in batches of about fifty, four at a time, the first four almost always being not so valued 45s. LPs get cleaned after the water reaches 50.

No problems, except with RCA dynaflex pressings thus far.
 
Imho it's all about getting the most out of this procedure. There's science behind the cavitation frequencies and their wavelengths, after all. :scratch2:

No reason to make it more complicated than it needs to be. I go with ~50 degrees, never measure the exact mix of the liquid in the ultrasonic container and use 12 minutes of rotation which I think gives me 3 or 4 full revolutions. Can't recall. Works great every time and there is no looking back for cleaning from me. My two cents... not that anyone asked. :D
 
Imho it's all about getting the most out of this procedure. There's science behind the cavitation frequencies and their wavelengths, after all. :scratch2:

Sorry but the DIYs have come over and tried to feed a bunch of malarkey already. You came her and started asking for information and help, now I'm doing it wrong? Ok.

Tell me when someone from that site has cleaned over 3000 records and evaluated them for SQ.

I bought my unit, it's a plug and play with 3/4" spacing between records. That's plenty of space for agitation to acure, I run the heat @ 45 degres and never had a warped record.
 
No reason to make it more complicated than it needs to be. I go with ~50 degrees, never measure the exact mix of the liquid in the ultrasonic container and use 12 minutes of rotation which I think gives me 3 or 4 full revolutions. Can't recall. Works great every time and there is no looking back for cleaning from me. My two cents... not that anyone asked. :D

Mike I knew you would not be able to live without this method at the volume of records you buy. Now you can get your whole library cleaned.:thmbsp:
 
Let me just point this out to the thread followers, don't expect your tank to last forever.

I think, at least in this thread, I have the highest volume of records cleaned, as such I'm on my second tank. The first tank died on me after cleaning 1600 records, and here is what happened that I know of since I could not fix it.

8 records at a time running 10 minute cycle, completing 1600 records is around 36 hours run time on the motors.

The internal fan only runs while the sonic motors are on. Since there is a fan inside something needs to be cooled, kept cold. The heater and motors are on two different switches and the fan shares the motor switch.

Although it seemed my motors were getting weak what finally killed the unit IMHO was the high heat. I was preheating the tank, and normally don't have the lid on for this. However, one night I did leave the lid on and walked away, I fell asleep for about an hour or so. When I got back to it, the tank, lid and water were super hot. After cooling a bit and cleaning some records the next day I noticed that the motors were not working anymore.

My deduction is...

I don't use the tank heater to preheat the tank.

I don't run the motors unless I'm getting some records cleaned.

When I start my cleaning I take that time to filter the water into a big pot, I heat it on the stove, clean out the tank and ready it for my cleaning session. If I stop for a while I turn the unit off so the heaters are not running.

You all can do what you want, but just remember you want to get as many records cleaned as you can with the tank. So if you burn it out early because of running the heater or motors without any records.... it adds to the per record cleaning cost.

I'm at around 3200 discs and my second tank and this tank is still running very strong. It took me one tank and at a cost of $350 to learn what not to do, and to realize the tank is going to have a life span.

BTW, how do you drain the solution from your unit?
Pour it out like you would a pot of watter.


My above comment was posted a few pages back when Vinylmasters started to get active in this thread. The reason for it was he had a thousand questions but yet did not want to listen to anyone and wanted to reinvent the wheel and that's fine.
But then doing things his own way lead to this thread.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=650444
 
Pour it out like you would a pot of watter.


My above comment was posted a few pages back when Vinylmasters started to get active in this thread. The reason for it was he had a thousand questions but yet did not want to listen to anyone and wanted to reinvent the wheel and that's fine.
But then doing things his own way lead to this thread.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=650444
I see there is a history here...still, I directed my question to Vinylmasters, because he has the same us unit, with the same type spigot. I just got mine the other day, so I thought maybe he has already figured out a proper brass coupling for his unit's spigot's threads, and the right diameter drain hose.
I will attempt to filter the used solution to reuse it, although I'd imagine that the alcohol component of it evaporates quicker than the water, being more volatile, especially with working temperatures in the +40 - +50*C range.
 
I see there is a history here...still, I directed my question to Vinylmasters, because he has the same us unit, with the same type spigot. I just got mine the other day, so I thought maybe he has already figured out a proper brass coupling for his unit's spigot's threads, and the right diameter drain hose.
I will attempt to filter the used solution to reuse it, although I'd imagine that the alcohol component of it evaporates quicker than the water, being more volatile, especially with working temperatures in the +40 - +50*C range.

Yes I always keep adding alcohol as it vapes off in the open tank, heat and what have you.
 
I love the idea of an ultrasonic cleaner, but I have another problem, my Dad's old records were damaged by the old Garard Auto Changer we had years ago, no amount of cleaning will bring these back? I wish there was some way to repair them.

But for the rest of my albums I use the old Spin Clean and would love to get an ultrasonic as from all reports they do a fantastic job. The one 4-2-7 is using looks ideal, just gotta convince the wife.........
 
I love the idea of an ultrasonic cleaner, but I have another problem, my Dad's old records were damaged by the old Garard Auto Changer we had years ago, no amount of cleaning will bring these back? I wish there was some way to repair them.

But for the rest of my albums I use the old Spin Clean and would love to get an ultrasonic as from all reports they do a fantastic job. The one 4-2-7 is using looks ideal, just gotta convince the wife.........
Why is that? She enjoy using the Spin Clean so much you think she would baulk at using the new US cleaner? ;)
 
I love the idea of an ultrasonic cleaner, but I have another problem, my Dad's old records were damaged by the old Garard Auto Changer we had years ago, no amount of cleaning will bring these back? I wish there was some way to repair them.

But for the rest of my albums I use the old Spin Clean and would love to get an ultrasonic as from all reports they do a fantastic job. The one 4-2-7 is using looks ideal, just gotta convince the wife.........
I could send you more pics, Mine was bought but can easily be made. there is also a member here putting a package together that you just have to add the tank to.
 
Back
Top Bottom