• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Ultrasonic Cleaners - They do Work...

IT looks like you can buy a 6L, 40khz cleaner on ebay for under $200 now. You just have to rig up a motor and axle to turn your records.
 
IT looks like you can buy a 6L, 40khz cleaner on ebay for under $200 now. You just have to rig up a motor and axle to turn your records.

Yes this is like a DIY but I would rather pay someone else to do that. Hell Idon't even want to do the cleaning.

It's just components.


IMG_1811_zps10b49cdc.jpg


IMG_1812_zps0d307e4e.jpg


IMG_1810_zpsa50bedad.jpg
 
Yeah I really like what he's done there with the V8 Ultrasonic cleaner....

I just can't quite get up to the $1500 asking price - and then add several hundred shipping to australia, + a 110V step up to 240V.... nut much change from $2000. I need to find someone who can make the mounting and motor for me, so I can then pick up a tank locally....

The KLAudio unit was initially advertised out of Malaysia for $2500.... and I was seriously tempted.... but then it suddenly went to $4000......

bye for now

David

(still trying to get into ultrasonic cleaning - at a reasonable price)
 
Yeah I really like what he's done there with the V8 Ultrasonic cleaner....

I just can't quite get up to the $1500 asking price - and then add several hundred shipping to australia, + a 110V step up to 240V.... nut much change from $2000. I need to find someone who can make the mounting and motor for me, so I can then pick up a tank locally....

The KLAudio unit was initially advertised out of Malaysia for $2500.... and I was seriously tempted.... but then it suddenly went to $4000......

bye for now

David

(still trying to get into ultrasonic cleaning - at a reasonable price)

Get an ultrasonic bath cleaner (6.5lt min to ensure the 12" dimension required internally and a thick circular paintbrush (to stick through the records spindle hole.

It takes me about 1 minute or less to process each lp through the bath albeit at an elevated temperature.

Step two is to build this simple plinth mounting and make the rig to process multiple LPs together.
 
Yeah I really like what he's done there with the V8 Ultrasonic cleaner....

I just can't quite get up to the $1500 asking price - and then add several hundred shipping to australia, + a 110V step up to 240V.... nut much change from $2000. I need to find someone who can make the mounting and motor for me, so I can then pick up a tank locally....

The KLAudio unit was initially advertised out of Malaysia for $2500.... and I was seriously tempted.... but then it suddenly went to $4000......

bye for now

David

(still trying to get into ultrasonic cleaning - at a reasonable price)
They're not hard to make. The tank, cradle, spindle shaft and spacers are the easy part. The gear motor from a microwave turntable and a means to couple it to the shaft is the most difficult part. The motors themselves are easy enough to get, but some motor shafts have an internal thread, others have a flat for a set screw, but almost without exception they're all very short.

Whatever one comes up with it doesn't need to be very durable...the work it does is not that hard...it's mostly the handling in between loads that stresses the joint. A threaded shaft would be the best option but they're not that common...not around these parts at least.
 
Some people could just order the shat assembly, motor, gear and mounting. Or all the cradle components. The fish filter is not needed and doesn't perform well, it's easier to drain and filter it.

All I know is my records are getting really clean and removing all static fast. I have done almost 300 in a few days. Once done I have hundreds of dubbles to do and evaluate to sell or keep. When I'm all caught up coming home with stacks of new additions will be a breeze to clean and put away.
 
Last edited:
IT looks like you can buy a 6L, 40khz cleaner on ebay for under $200 now. You just have to rig up a motor and axle to turn your records.

Now that's more like it. I think I see one in my future, because I have just about reached my limit on using my vacuum RCM.

I have a question: is the heat really necessary to clean a record? With reports of vinyl deformation, that would be a deal killer for me. In the reviews of the multi-thousand $ ultrasonic cleaners, there is never any mention of records warping, even temporarily.
 
Now that's more like it. I think I see one in my future, because I have just about reached my limit on using my vacuum RCM.

I have a question: is the heat really necessary to clean a record? With reports of vinyl deformation, that would be a deal killer for me. In the reviews of the multi-thousand $ ultrasonic cleaners, there is never any mention of records warping, even temporarily.

I haven't heard it either but it doesn't mean it's not a curing. I have already said it's not the heat but the Ultra Sonics doing it. Or maybe the way the record is held in the vat. Could even be the alcohol mix all be it I don't have much in two gallons of water but it's in there 10 minutes.

Other units dry the disc before removing so it might not be seen using them. I also said it gets flat even before it's completely air dried. I also feel this movement is pulling all the static out of the vinyl. Expansion contraction is stress relieving it.
 
I haven't heard it either but it doesn't mean it's not a curing. I have already said it's not the heat but the Ultra Sonics doing it.
Hm...it's the heat. My first effort involved too much heat and it warped the Lp temporarily. Now I just set it at minimum which is a tad above lukewarm.

Heat is not good for the vinyl so I avoid it. Mind you, there is something to said about applying heat...I used to use steam and found it had some positive benefit on the clean.

Anyone wants to avoid using heat altogether might find the result disappointing...as I have. It would seem that some is necessary.
 
Last edited:
Hm...it's the heat. My first effort involved too much heat and it warped the Lp temporarily. Now I just set it at minimum which is a tad above lukewarm.

Heat is not good for the vinyl so I avoid it. Mind you, there is something to said about applying heat...I used to use steam and found it had some positive benefit on the clean.

Anyone wants to avoid using heat altogether might find the result disappointing...as I have. It would seem that some is necessary.

Most of the tanks have heat controls including OFF.:yes:
 
Some people could just order the shat assembly, motor, gear and mounting. Or all the cradle components. The fish filter is not needed and doesn't perform well, it's easier to drain and filter it.

That is exactly what I was hoping for, but he doesn't seek open to it.
 
IT looks like you can buy a 6L, 40khz cleaner on ebay for under $200 now. You just have to rig up a motor and axle to turn your records.

the motors are available there too. a mear 13.00, as well as the axle and cork.. i am building one!!
 
Vinyl is deforming because only the grooves are heated and they expand the label is not heated and does not expand. like anything else there is a limit to what the vinyl will take, who's going to be the unfortunate one to find out that they have caused irreversible damage to their lps by "cavitation erosion" caused by using too powerful an ultrasonic transducer. Like without research who would have figured that using more 8inches vacuum suction on an LP holddown would cause the vinyl to gas off!
 
Back
Top Bottom