• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Un-wrapping a CD is testing my patience!! and hurting my teeth!

goanlisten

Active Member
It takes me 15 minutes to open a brand new CD. Is this normal or am I getting too old for CD's.

Why do CD's have such tough packaging - I understand there is the shoplifting deterrent but come on!!!! I always have trouble taking off the tape they stick on the side because it always breaks up into a 'zillion pieces and then you must get every piece off or the case won't open. The anticipation hurts!!!

Anyone else have this problem?
 
Register to hide this ad
Queue Space Odyssey 2001 opening sequence .... early man discovering tools ... or modern man unwrapping a new cd ? :)
 
I had heard that CDs were packaged in this manner so as to deter theft. Well for crying out loud, don't you think even a dumb thief would just take the entire CD, case and all............??? Maybe someone whose been in the business can shed some light on why CDs are packaged this way. Not too difficult getting the plastic wrapping off but I agree, that tape on the end that shreds into a bazillion pieces, is plain stupid.........:thumbsdn:
 
I get a knife and manage to free the disc within a minute or so, then I can at least hear some music while I am cleaning all the tape and plastic wrap off the jewel case.

Often I don't have this problem because I mostly get used CDs, but one of the thrift stores I've found many good ones at has taken to resealing the used CDs with 2" clear plastic tape. Sometimes that comes off cleanly, but more often it won't so I don't even try to peel it off.
 
I was shopping for shoes at Wal-Mart one time and noticed several empty CD cases stuck under the gondola. Knew somebody who worked there and he said they found a lot more in the bathroom all the time.

The anti-theft sensor things are stuck on the case rather than the disc so I guess that's why they steal just the disc.
 
Try unhooking the bottom hinge and then use the two parts of the case to pull them off of the tape.

^This is how I've rolled for years. After a few tries you can get the sticker off in three quick motions. At this point I'd say the whole unwrapping process takes 45sec tops.
 
The tape deters theft? What's it do, block the internet?

My thoughts exactly. They should just stop with all the friggin' stickers. Thieves just download the things now. The only point for the average thief to take a CD over an illegal download would be to sell it, and I think they'd need the case to get any decent money.
 
This thread reminds me of a game show I saw on TV in Japan in the early 90s. They had three teens on stage, and gave each a sealed CD. The contest was to see who could open it first. Time ran out after 60 seconds, and they had no winner.

Me? I just run my thumb or pinky nail down the groove between the front cover and left side hinge and the shrink wrap is off in seconds. Then, as others have said, pop the lower hinge and open the door vertically. Tape seal comes off in one piece. In just a few seconds, I'm in like Flint.
 
Queue Space Odyssey 2001 opening sequence .... early man discovering tools ... or modern man unwrapping a new cd ? :)
Oh my! I have to learn from my fellow man so my kind (who also hates the tape especially) is not destined for extinction. :)

Try unhooking the bottom hinge and then use the two parts of the case to pull them off of the tape.

I will have to give this a try. My guess is if you video taped this and posted it on YouTube, it would be a smashing success. Thanks for the tip!
 
The anti-theft sensor things are stuck on the case rather than the disc so I guess that's why they steal just the disc.

There's the reason for the packaging. If you can open them quickly and grab the disc you can pocket it and walk out. If you take the whole thing the alarms go nuts when you exit.

I always have a pocketknife with me so my SOP for opening a CD is to run the knife along case joint at the sticker with the wrap still in place. The wrap comes off easily, the case opens, and the sticker comes off easily in 2 pieces. Typically takes me 15 seconds or so.
 
I rub an edge of the cd on my car window. Opens it up in 10 seconds and doesnt leave a mark on the window or anything.
 
Try unhooking the bottom hinge and then use the two parts of the case to pull them off of the tape.

^This is how I've rolled for years. After a few tries you can get the sticker off in three quick motions. At this point I'd say the whole unwrapping process takes 45sec tops.

Yup. Take the plastic wrap off, disconnect the bottom hinges, turn the case "inside-out", and slowly peel one half away from the edge sealing tape, then pull the tape off the other half.

Never more than 60 seconds, and if you're at all careful, you can usually get 100% of that frickin' tape off in one piece.
 
Did you ever see the bit in "The Osbournes" where Ozzy was trying to open a DVD? That's funny!

Lee
 
Huh?

cubdog

yeah, just take the edge of the wrapped cd case and rub along to top of your car window in a saw motion. It will tear through the cd plastic in 2 seconds and wont harm your window. It will go through the white sticker also.
 
Back
Top Bottom