• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Unknown Speakers, Help with ID

Starrider1

Active Member
I got these for 14.00 today at the thrift store. I don't know what kind they are, but the cabinets are made of solid wood. Maybe someone can look at the pics and tell by looking. Anyway any thoughts?
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
Orange surrounds? Cerwin-Vega?

The first thing I thought of upon looking at them was Celestion Ditton, but now I don't think so.
 
Orange surrounds would definitely seem to be Cerwin Vega's, but somehow they just don't look like Vegas to me?:scratch2:
 
The surrounds look look like cloth. The looks like early '70s or even a bit earlier. If so would predate C-V.
 
Looks like masonite on the front baffle? Could they be some sort of early Advent?

I agree that the thing to do is look inside. I'll bet the X-Over caps are ancient. Once they're open, might as well re-cap?
 
Looks like masonite on the front baffle? Could they be some sort of early Advent?

I agree that the thing to do is look inside. I'll bet the X-Over caps are ancient. Once they're open, might as well re-cap?

I was kinda thinking early Advents too.. the grill cloth looks like something they would use.. not many other companies used cloth like that..
 
Nothing Advent ever produced. If you look in Audio Annual Equipment Directory, there were hundreds of speaker companies out there in th '70s. Most were 1 to 2 model wonders and faded.
 
I wonder if they aren't some sort of home brew in an Advent cab? Those beveled edges and velcro tabs scream "Advent" and the tweeter position is quite close too. Then again, looking at the picture I just snagged, they're probably just some ripoffs that stole the Advent look.
What's the knob in the rectangular cutout, some sort of level control?

I'd pull the woofer as suggested and see what it says too.
 

Attachments

  • la.JPG
    la.JPG
    20.9 KB · Views: 27
Back
Top Bottom