• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Unusual speakers

Register to hide this ad
Dang! I'm gonna guess that's Watkins of the famed Watkins Woofer used in some famous Infinites.

https://www.watkinsstereo.com/

No idea if that's a good price but based on the crossover mounted on the outside, and the Watkins name, certainly worth a look.
 
$2990/pr in 1983. Review in Stereophile:

https://www.stereophile.com/historical/683watkins/index.html

I'd bet they need refoaming by now, possibly some caps depending on what is in there originally. If you look at em check the condition of the foams. They have 3 8" woofers each so that's a lot of refoaming if you have to do it, and it should factor into the price. Frankly I think $1500 is a lot but I have no idea of the true rarity or collectability of this speaker.
 
$1500 may be a fair value for their performance, but I suspect that the seller is going to have a hard time getting it. Watkins is hardly a household name. This is the first time I've seen one of these for sale (in fact, I think it's the first time I've seen one, period). Finding something comparable (to gauge value) will be difficult.

Also, you don't list $1500 speakers with only one picture, and that of the back.
 
$1500 may be a fair value for their performance, but I suspect that the seller is going to have a hard time getting it. Watkins is hardly a household name. This is the first time I've seen one of these for sale (in fact, I think it's the first time I've seen one, period). Finding something comparable (to gauge value) will be difficult.

Also, you don't list $1500 speakers with only one picture, and that of the back.

That's what I was thinking, asking $1500 and only one picture and it's the BACK of the item for sale.
DUH

Wasn't that long ago that Mr. Watkins died. His son took over so parts and service may still be available if those need it.
 
Echo everything above.

The idea a minimalist ad like that would fetch 1.5k on essentially unknown speakers???

Take dozens of pics showing the condition of all aspects. And written info on everything you know.

After all that possibly drop the price by 1k????

Who knows what they may bring. I've no idea.
 
Few recommendations for seller. (In case he/she sees this)

More pics in better light. Top, sides, front, drivers.

Better description, do a little research and tie in Infinity. Give examples of a few Infinity’s which used Watkins woofers, explain why that’s important.

Price could easily be ok if one adds written details and better pics.
 
Well, it says right there in the ad Certified replacement value, $4000 so it's got to be a good deal (though I have my doubts).
 
"Kingsport, TN" is 45 minutes from me and I have never heard of this brand.

Knoxville paper had an article on Watkins a few years ago. You would think that the speakers would pop up around here occasionally, but I've been looking and have only seen one ad. I passed 'cuz too pricey.
 
  • Like
Reactions: KWH
Sounds like a classic case of a guy who knew how to design speakers but not how to market them successfully. Once you get them away from a company that does the marketing, they can still make great speakers, but very few exist and nobody has heard of them. Winslow Burhoe is maybe another. Don't get me wrong, it's a distinguished group to be in.
 
Reminds me of Chapman speakers. Local to Seattle area - excellent high quality and overbuilt speakers with little exposure nationally.

There is one sold for the seller's asking price about 10 years ago. I think that's what the seller is going by. Other lesser Watkins models I see sold for $200-400 range. I'm sure they sound very good, but I doubt anyone will spend $1500 for them. Speaking of infinity, you can get Reference Standard line with that money.
 
I am a big fan of Watkins speakers. I have a set of the 1-AB that are the little brothers of the WE=1. Supposedly they use the same drivers. I am listening to them right now as they have pushed all my other speakers out of the way. they love power and they never really opened up till i drove them with a soundcraftsmen 5001. I would love to own a set of the WE-1 but i just never see them come up for sale.

Watkins Stereo is still in bushiness and they service all the old gear
https://www.watkinsstereo.com/
 
I am a big fan of Watkins speakers. I have a set of the 1-AB that are the little brothers of the WE=1. Supposedly they use the same drivers. I am listening to them right now as they have pushed all my other speakers out of the way. they love power and they never really opened up till i drove them with a soundcraftsmen 5001. I would love to own a set of the WE-1 but i just never see them come up for sale.

Watkins Stereo is still in bushiness and they service all the old gear
https://www.watkinsstereo.com/

My rebuilt Soundcraftsmen A5002 is the only amp I've ever sold that really had me feeling some regret.

The things that rubbed me about it was how difficult it is to disassemble and its many loose wires and overall build within. I dont wish to paint it as some type of sloppy build. It's not.

Sound quality wise it was top notch after the rebuild. And really had a wonderful tone to it.

And on the notion of speakers at the $1500 mark. I sold my JBL 4430s that were near mint and fully functional for $1400. For whatever that's worth.
 
Back
Top Bottom