• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Use the left and right channel to compare gear ..

Akustic

Super Member
Ultimately listening in your room with your gear is the best way to compare and hooking the two channels to differing gear is the only way to get instantaneous listening comparisons...
Yes there are some dangers, and it's sometimes not possible because of those dangers...

But most of the time it's possible and IMO the best way because the subtle differences in sound quality are instantly obvious ..
All components sound different one from another ..

It is a great way to compare different pieces of gear..
 
Register to hide this ad
The position of the speakers in your room usually has more effect on the sound than the rest of the gear. Unless you stack the speakers or put them right next to each other, you're comparing the gear and the differences in speaker placement, not just the gear. And even stacking or adjacent placement might be different enough to make them sound different.
 
Listen in mono for best results.
Agreed ...
But I have no mono recordings so stereo works well ..
Most music is mixed into both channels, but for me it's about the subtle differences in tone or timbre ..
So once I'm hearing a consistent difference, I swap the channels to see if it moves ..
That consistently points up the differences in components ..

Enjoy the Music ..
 
Ultimately listening in your room with your gear is the best way to compare and hooking the two channels to differing gear is the only way to get instantaneous listening comparisons...
Yes there are some dangers, and it's sometimes not possible because of those dangers...

But most of the time it's possible and IMO the best way because the subtle differences in sound quality are instantly obvious ..
All components sound different one from another ..

It is a great way to compare different pieces of gear..
Hum.... I am not exactly sure but I think I tried this once with a very expensive lesson as a result. As you said, there are dangers. At this stage I would never try it again. The pain of seeing the smoke rise and the loud pop.... is still clear in my mind. I keep now everything separate even with a delay to reconnect stuff- the risk is too great. To this day I can't explain what/why it happened. I've been around the block a few times but it remains a mystery. Best I recall- 2 amps connected but only one was on- then BAM! Bad day! I didn't think the one that was off would effect the circuit but it did apparently. Maybe someone will know what my ignorance missed.

Be careful folks.
 
hum- re-read your post. I get it. 2 amps but you are only using one channel from each. Interesting.

P.S. my room is not acoustically symmetrical which should be taken into account.
 
I get it. 2 amps but you are only using one channel from each.
You use two amps, when you compare two amps.

When you compare, say, two CD players:
- connect only the right (or the left) channel of each to the same (pre)amp input
- use the balance control
or
- connect both channels to different (pre)amp inputs
- use, or not, the mono switch
- use the input/source switch.

Of course you have two identical CDs (or records, or tapes, or whatever physical media the players, you're comparing on the fly, play...digital files are easier, obviously).
Of course you have identical cables.
Of course the cables are burnt in allready.
Of course you match the volume precisely.
Of course you synchronize the recordings timewise.
Of course the listening room is acousticaly identical left-right wise.
Of course your head is in the identical position all the time.
Of course... (fill in the blanks)

Easy peasy, ain't it.

Perhaps OP will enlighten us in detail how to hook up gear (say two CD players) for such a test and how to conduct it properly. So far I only know the following: "And I wouldn't put a switch in the signal path since it could mask the results .. wire each channel differently and use the balance button."

It's for cables though; there might be other mysterious ways with other components?
 
The position of the speakers in your room usually has more effect on the sound than the rest of the gear. Unless you stack the speakers or put them right next to each other, you're comparing the gear and the differences in speaker placement, not just the gear. And even stacking or adjacent placement might be different enough to make them sound different.
Great point, especially if the two speakers you’re comparing aren’t apples and oranges.
 
I recall as a teenager visiting a HIFi dealer and listening to speakers. The dealer used a switching device to immediately switch between two sets of speakers so that I could hear the differences between the speakers. It was very easy to hear differences between them. Many years later I realized that these immediate impressions of the compared speakers only gave me a superficial evaluation. As has been said, "One swallow doesn't make a summer." I was attracted to the brighter pair of speakers. I am probably better now at making quick decisions between components, but I still find that my initial impressions are not of much value in making long term decisions.
 
For comparing preamps I have an old school Audio Research Stereo Remote Control. VERY nice little unit. Transparent. One pre goes into Main In and the other goes into EQ In. You can switch between the two instantaneously with the very robust remote.
 
Hum.... I am not exactly sure but I think I tried this once with a very expensive lesson as a result. As you said, there are dangers. At this stage I would never try it again. The pain of seeing the smoke rise and the loud pop.... is still clear in my mind. I keep now everything separate even with a delay to reconnect stuff- the risk is too great. To this day I can't explain what/why it happened. I've been around the block a few times but it remains a mystery. Best I recall- 2 amps connected but only one was on- then BAM! Bad day! I didn't think the one that was off would effect the circuit but it did apparently. Maybe someone will know what my ignorance missed.

Be careful folks.

Truly ... Careful ..
I've done it multiple times with two diferent preamps to the amp and with two different amps from the preamp ..
As you note A nystery as to why that would occur in your case ..

Someone may have a better idea as to why than I .. If anyone does chime in ..
That's sort of the point of this thread ... to Identify the potential dangers.

Enjoy the Music ..
 
You use two amps, when you compare two amps.

When you compare, say, two CD players:
- connect only the right (or the left) channel of each to the same (pre)amp input
- use the balance control
or
- connect both channels to different (pre)amp inputs
- use, or not, the mono switch
- use the input/source switch.

Of course you have two identical CDs (or records, or tapes, or whatever physical media the players, you're comparing on the fly, play...digital files are easier, obviously).
Of course you have identical cables.
Of course the cables are burnt in allready.
Of course you match the volume precisely.
Of course you synchronize the recordings timewise.
Of course the listening room is acousticaly identical left-right wise.
Of course your head is in the identical position all the time.
Of course... (fill in the blanks)

Easy peasy, ain't it.

Perhaps OP will enlighten us in detail how to hook up gear (say two CD players) for such a test and how to conduct it properly. So far I only know the following: "And I wouldn't put a switch in the signal path since it could mask the results .. wire each channel differently and use the balance button."

It's for cables though; there might be other mysterious ways with other components?
Dangers and limitations yes ...
But I try not to turn things on/off with the amp powered up either ...

Hopefully this thread will point up some of the dangers ..
 
Back
Top Bottom