• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Valve Phono Stages

I've had tube phono preamps in and out of my system and currently swap in a Hagerman Cornet regularly. Hum can be a problem with them, at least in my system, depending on their exact location. Maddening at times.
 
I've had tube phono preamps in and out of my system and currently swap in a Hagerman Cornet regularly. Hum can be a problem with them, at least in my system, depending on their exact location. Maddening at times.
I had a long battle with hum, using a tube pre, myself. Maddening is a good description. I finally gave up and went back to SS.
 
So my setup is pretty budget I guess, so Turntable is Project Debut S with a Sumiko Ranier cartridge, amp is Yamaha as301 and speakers Jamo s809 floorstanders. The Sumiko cartridge sounds nice to me previously had OM10, Sumiko sounds much warmer so I'm guessing that the warmth of tubes is probably going to be something I like. I've learned from someone else in here that the Sumiko uses an Excel generator and there's a cartridge from LPgear using the same generator with a line contact stylus that's much cheaper than going up the Sumiko line, so intending to purchase that soon. The Ear834 seems to use ECC83 valves X3 the Project Tube box has two ECC83 but a transistor preamp, but maybe it's a fairly similar circuit?

Believe there are quite a few on AK who use one of the EAR clone types. There are several available from the complete copy of the chassis and PCB ranging to a copy of the circuit in a more standard looking case. I have used several of both. Both are quite good for money spent. And they are pretty easy to work on, upgrade parts, etc. They also work well for tape head pre-preamplifiers if the gain is boosted a bit and the EQ is modified from RIAA to NAB. A couple of years ago there was a complete series of threads on the EAR clones. You may want to look for it. The other clone tube phono stage that is quite good is the Marantz 7 phono stage with the 6X4 rectifier tube in the front.
 
Yes is another group that had some LPs with very quiet background. Note the common denominator? Monarch pressing. :thumbsup:

Roundabout.
Off Yes "Fragile." Atlantic Records. SD 7211. Monarch Pressing. Mastered by George Piros (GP). 1972.
Run-out: ST-A-712367BB-REPL MR AT/GP ∆16513(F2) PR

So like I said I've only recently become more aware of differences in quality of pressings so am a complete novice in that respect. I definitely can tell some records sound totally different in terms of quality though like night and day. Is there a resource for looking up these things easily? Would the Monarch pressings be mostly records sold in the US? How did it generally work would records sold in Europe be pressed in Europe generally? I like my Motown records for example but none of them seem to be particularly good pressings but as most of these came from my garage find, it could be the way they have been treated, stored etc.
 
I'm using a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS2 phono preamp in the office with my Rega P3 based Azure table (AT-VM740ML cart) and my old Marantz 6200 table (AT-VM540ML cart). I have a set of JJ E83CC frame grid tubes in it and am using a Meanwell medical power supply (like Mr Boochie) plugged into a Furman Elite 15 DMi power filter. Like Mr Boochie, I also paid careful attention to the routing of the wires and it is nearly silent- I can only hear background noise if the Parasound P6 preamp is turned up above 67 (normal listening volume is 40-45, crazy loud is 65). The P6 is a very neutral preamp and with vinyl it was kind of ho-hum (no excitement, just plain). Using the DS2 tube phono amp I have a much wider/deeper sound stage, the music is fuller, deep bass without boom, and the mid/highs are "sweet". Placement of the instruments is well defined as are voices and best of all is all the little background stuff that you normally never hear.

I get the same effect in my main living room stereo using a Technics SL-1200GR2 table with an Ortofon Concorde Music Bronze cart, plugged into a Schiit Skoll phono preamp, which is then plugged into a Schiit Freya+ tube preamp (this system also uses a Furman Elite 15DMi power filter and a Furman PST-8 power filter- the power is super clean).
 
Here's the Ear834 clone, seems to have two boxes one for the PSU and another for the actual amp. I guess this combats noise to some extent? Does it look ok to you? Looks reasonably well made, as far as you can tell from a picture anyway

I’m doing a DIY version of this. The same company sells the bare PCB. It’s a good circuit and it’s easy to mod. Won’t have my done until at least November.
 
Back
Top Bottom