• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Vera-Fi Audio...?

valvenator

curious bystander, serious procrastinator
Subscriber
I'm just curious if anyone here has tried their products, but mostly their Vanguard Scout speakers.
 
Register to hide this ad
I bought a pair before seeing this, and they did arrive in a timely fashion, but this should be known:

I had a hard time finding that, cheapaudioman should put the company name in the title.

They look very nice with an excellent finish. The designer is on DiyAudio and I wanted to give them a
chance thinking they are worth it for the boxes alone.
I don't care for the sound, but then there's not much that I like, don't like KEF LS50 s either not that they sound similar.
 
Last edited:
The owner of VeriFi is a convicted felon. His AV123 business went belly up leaving scores of customers in the lurch. Here in Colorado, he ran a charity scam and got caught. He was convicted and is now out on parole. I believe in second chances, but in this case…..
 
The owner of VeriFi is a convicted felon. His AV123 business went belly up leaving scores of customers in the lurch. Here in Colorado, he ran a charity scam and got caught. He was convicted and is now out on parole. I believe in second chances, but in this case…..
Now that you mention it, yeah. Thanks for the reminder.
 
I'm just curious if anyone here has tried their products, but mostly their Vanguard Scout speakers.
I have a pair of the Scouts, have had them on loan from a friend now for about five months or so. The good, they are very nicely finished, really kind of hard to believe how good overall the finish is, especially for the money. Many speakers costing quite a bit more do not have. Finish as smooth and nice as these. The overall driver quality seems very decent, again, for the money. Just a decent looking speaker all around.

While there has been quite a bit of chatter on these, my take is kind of like most people like a giant killer, something cheap that just is so good, it defies logic. Of course comes the comparisons to other good, yet much more pricey speakers. How close it comes to them, maybe in some instances, surpassing the others. My take, it is all good and well, but not really a giant killer to my ears. Certainly again, for the money, it is a nice little speaker, looks great, sounds decent. One could certainly do worse.

To my ears, it is just an okay speaker sound wise. Nothing really stands out, which in some respects is ok. The bass is decent, but not great, maybe a bit “wooly” sounding. The treble too, is decent, not spitty or pronounced, does a good job overall. Not a detail thing really. To me as a whole, the speaker is just an average, good little speaker for the money. I think the NHT Super Zero or Super One are better in my opinion, of course the Super One costs a bit more, but worth the extra. Ones mileage might differ of course on the finishes between these, I’d rather have better sound than overall looks and finish, but that is me.

Not much here, just my two cents worth. I have listened to these quite often over the several months I have had them, and while I have somewhat enjoyed listening to them at times, they typically end up in their box put away for more time than they are used. I just do not find them as remarkable as maybe the reviews etc. go on about. Maybe even slightly boring. These will end up back with my friend at some point.

As for the company/Verafi, no clue what goes on behind the scenes, even though I know some back history of the owner. I’ll leave that to others. FWIW
 
Vera-Fi's much more expensive Vanguard review at ASR: XSA Labs Vanguard Speaker Review

It does not do well.

XSA Labs Scout development thread at DiyAudio:

I would say that the Scout is not very musical sounding, not engaging, and this is the only review that is in line with what I hear:
I'm very surprised that there are so many rave reviews of the Scout.
Also surprised that the TNT reviewer loved the Vanguard that tests so badly, lol:
 
Measurements by a member here, note that many of his charts have EQ, also note the very
poor top end extension, more than 5dB down at 15K. Yet he calls them fantastic, I disagree:
 
Back
Top Bottom